Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: High Action Versus Low Action

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm medium to higher action. I don't like super low action because its harder to grab and bend under the adjacent strings...
    Also I think the tone is better with higher action...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, same here.
    And I prefer 10's, either Boomers or D'Addario. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    I'm mainly a rhythm player anyway, so the super low action just does not do it for me.

Comment

10 or 11 - 48 or 52, here, depending on tuning and guitar. I like heavier strings.

Action is medium (definitly not superlow), I'm more of a rhythm player anyways. On my SL2 I had the bass side strings fairly high, treble side was quite low, made an awesome mix to play. The chordal progressions went nice, so did the leads.
      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

As low as possible without any buzz..

my playing hand is a bit paralyzed now from a neck injury...

it feels like I'm playing with a glove on...but I still shred..I dunno..so be it [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Oh well...fuggit...whatever works right? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

BTW.. No it doesn't feel like a "stranger" when I wank on my other pull toy either.. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]
            I keep all my guitars with the action set low with D'Addario 9-42's. That is the comfort I am used to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here, except I use Ernie Ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ernie Ball 9-42 for me too

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              i have my action as low as possible with out buzz. simple as that its still pretty low.

[/ QUOTE ]
              me too, it just makes all kinds of playing easier for me to have it set low.
              the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

As low as freakin possible. A little buzz is ok for me! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

i haven't touched the action - i assume you mean the truss rod because the manufacturers warranty doesn't cover damage caused by altering it. by what measurement (or how many key turns) is justified as a maximum in either direction?
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

action is height of the bridge, which affects how close the strings are to the fretboard. You shouldn't be adjusting the truss rod to change the string height. Truss rod adjustments are for counteracting the pull of the strings on the neck. Typically you want the truss rod adjusted for a slight amount of bow - around .010 inches or so at the 9th fret.

Pete

Comment

I like mine PINNED, lowest of the low. Makes my playing that much easier.

Even if a fret or two chokes out when you really bend it high, it's fine by me.

Comment

It depends on the guitar. I generally prefer higher action than most players but as long as the guitar is set up properly it doesn't matter.
                        String gauge, scale length, amount of frets,fret size, neck profile or string height don't seem to effect my playing after I have played the guitar for a few minutes. The first few minutes can be a little rough though!
                        I do prefer bolt ons as opposed to set neck or neck thru. I like my strings higher off of the body of the guitar.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          action is height of the bridge, which affects how close the strings are to the fretboard. You shouldn't be adjusting the truss rod to change the string height. Truss rod adjustments are for counteracting the pull of the strings on the neck. Typically you want the truss rod adjusted for a slight amount of bow - around .010 inches or so at the 9th fret.

[/ QUOTE ]

My understanding is that you want to make sure you have proper relief on the neck before you start messing with your action.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            As low as freakin possible. A little buzz is ok for me! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree!! Pancake those strings!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                            I love admins!

Comment

Working...
                            X