High Action Versus Low Action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Action Versus Low Action

Hey guys, just wanted to see what you had on your JC's, and why? I have low action on my Mod 6, but I am thinking about getting it raised next time I send it in to a shop. Cheers! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Re: High Action Versus Low Action

I keep mine low so it's easier to do speedy pull-offs.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I started playing with an SL3 that I lowered the action on as much as possible, but now I am playing a Model 1 with the action about twice as high as I had on the soloist. I actually want that SL3 back, it was badass

Comment

i'm using a rather low action. i can deal with yngwie-ish action for rhythm playing (actually i prefer high action for rhythm), but i just cannot play lead with super high action. but then again, i likely couldn't play with the action below the frets like john petrucci [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I try to get a spot where it is an even balance between speed and where I can grab the string to get vibrato.

Too low and I can't get clean vibratos when going fast. Too high and it slows me down.
          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I keep all my guitars with the action set low with D'Addario 9-42's. That is the comfort I am used to.
            Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I have mine set as low as I can without buzz on the top 2 strings and then gradually raise it to the lower strings. I think it came with everything set at 3/64 at the 12th across the board and I left the top 2 there and then gradually raise the other 4 so it's probably 4.5/64 on the lowest string. I still get low action for most of the lead stuff but get some higher action for everything else, it seems to work well for me.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I keep all my guitars with the action set low with D'Addario 9-42's. That is the comfort I am used to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here, except I use Ernie Ball.

Comment

I use somewhat in the middle. I used to have super low action, but my frets would always buzz, so I raised it up alittle bit until they stoped buzzing. I can still play fast and there is no extra noise.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I use 10-46's but I play 24.75" scale guitars so it probably feels about the same as 9-42's on a 25.5". They just feel better to me and I have no idea why.

Comment

I'm medium to higher action. I don't like super low action because its harder to grab and bend under the adjacent strings. I raise the bridge on just about every guitar I ever owned. Also I think the tone is better with higher action...
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I keep mine low so it's easier to do speedy pull-offs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your Jacksons, not your belt Newc!! [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

It depends on the guitar for me. On my "shredder" guitars(Model 2, Japan Fusion, one of the ones I made) I keep a pretty low action, around 3/64ths of an inch. On my SG which I play live I keep it a bit higher because I REALLY dig into the strings when I play live, and the adrenaline makes up for any speed I would loose in raising it...

Comment

i have my action as low as possible with out buzz. simple as that its still pretty low.

Comment

As low as I can go without a lot of buzz.

Comment

Working...
                              X