Hard to adjust from 24.75 to 25.5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hard to adjust from 24.75 to 25.5?

After playing 25.5 for years, I am in the process of ordering a 24.75 CS soloist. I played a shorter scale and really liked it. Love that slinky feel.

Comment

i forgot to add, when i play 24.75 i do use heavier guage strings. i was speaking from a fret distance point of view.

chris

Comment

It doesn't make sense but my KV has 10-52 gauge strings and the LP Studio I'm borrowing does also but it feels like the LP has more string tension.

I have no issues switching between them.

Comment

Nah...
          Neck length not an issue at all.
          The backside shape of the neck is key to me.
          Some neck shapes are easier for fretting chords on and some aren't. I can't handle the big boat shape. This particular neck is very uncomfortable for me. My hand doesn't like playing like that. Super thin necks are hard for me to play too. I gotta work harder at playing these type of necks. Theres not enough meat. Standard neck is what I'm used to.
          I believe Warmoth lists it as a "standard thin".
          A wolfgang neck feels okay and I feel comfortable with one of these but its not my preference.

Radius?
          For me, that just important as neck shape.
          The straighter/flatter the neck easier to bend notes, it least for me anyways.

Nut width?
          I prefer a 1 3/4 nut.
          It suits my style of playing. I prefer the wider space between strings. It works better for me than your smaller/narrow necks. I have more control.
          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I have read the notes on a longer scale length sound a little cleaner or articulate.

I have noticed the strings usually are closer together on most shorter scale guitars ie. not F spaced.

Personally, I have larger hands and like the larger scale length and space between the strings. I do find them to be more articulate but this could be just my imagination.

I also unlike a lot of players prefer a larger neck than a super thin one. I can't anchor my hand well on a thin neck and find I get the best vibrato on a larger neck with your old fashioned C shape - like on my PC1.

I had an Ibanez Jem and that sucked for vibrato. The cheap parts on it didn't help any either. I even found the Soloist neck a bit thin for my taste. But I think I am probably in the minority here.

It takes me a while to adjust to a new guitar and neck - I am somewhat sensitive in this regard. So I keep 4 guitars around and play them all to maintain a feel for each one. I have my PC1 with a large neck, the Warrior neck through, a Chravel with 22 frets and a Hamer Californian with a fairly thin neck.
            PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Shredmonster, scale length normally shouldn't have anything to do with the space between strings... ?

That's the width of the neck: nutwidth & width at the heel.
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Shredmonster, scale length normally shouldn't have anything to do with the space between strings... ?

That's the width of the neck: nutwidth & width at the heel.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're both right in a sense. Technically scale length and string spacing are independent of each other. However many manufacturer's go with either Gibson-style necks(shorter length AND narrower string spacing) or Fender-style(longer fretboard AND wider string spacing). Those have been the two dominant electric guitar styles for the last 50 years.

Comment

werent charvel brass trems gibson spaced?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    werent charvel brass trems gibson spaced?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, they are f(ender) spaced.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Working...
                    X