Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hangar 18 Riff

[ QUOTE ]
    flat picking: put your pick against the strings completely flat (no angle between the side of the pick and the string). And just keep it against the string, and alternate pick that way. A lot of control, but very unnatural and pretty much impossible for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK thanks. I just tried it. I suck. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

try picking using a nickle. its round & slides over the strings it doesnt grab & can really be used to gain alot of control as well since its not flexible at all. it also trains you not to use too much of the pick, since with the nickle youll only be using the edge. practice alt picking like that then swtich to a regular pick, it should help some.

Comment

Hangar 18 is such an awesome song

Comment

alt pick the first bit then wail on some down strokes for the chord slides..

hardest riff i think is the reign in blood one where it gos ludicrously fast just before the vocals kick in... you can wing it but properly its ARGH NOOOO [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow, I didn't realize so many people had picking issues. The only problem I have with picking, is picking my nose too much. Seriously though, I hold my pick perpendicular to the strings like Dave, except very slightly rotated. I'm very proud of my picking, and my rhythm playing. I have to be because my lead skills are somewhat lacking. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              My problem is i'm very bad at alternate picking, i can trem pick and gallop very well but slow alternate picking like this riff and when more strings are involved doesn't work! i always cheat and do trem picking instead and that sounds bad

I must practise this and fast downs some more

[/ QUOTE ]

You should definitelly work on some "Helstar" stuff. the power metal band from Texas. Their guitarists Andre Corbin and LArry Barragan are really the kings of alternate picking... I had the same problem with you and I worked on their stuff, and some Nevermore stuff.. Now that I'm much better at picking [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              Check my bands!
              www.myspace.com/magicktr
              www.myspace.com/sinif64
              www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Working...
              X