Slippery Picks and Metal Riffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slippery Picks and Metal Riffs

Hey guys, what's your solution for slick picks while you're trying to riff? Sometimes I don't even need to sweat, and if I play some gallops on the E string from Iced Earth, I'll lose my pick position, and I have to try to fix it while playing. It pisses me off, especially when I can't even get through a lick without my pick sliding around in my hand so I don't even have a picking surface anymore. It's crap. I don't know...I'm using Dunlop 3mm stubbies...I love them, but damn, when they slip I wanna beat the hell out of them...but they're so frickin' small I can't do much but curse.

Any solutions?

Thanks,
    Nick

Re: Slippery Picks and Metal Riffs

Clayton polymers...

Buy those and if you drop it as a result of it slipping, i'll eat my KV

Comment

interesting...will any of them do, or would you recommend a certain material of the 6 they offer?

Thanks,
      Nick

Comment

I have a pack of those 3mm stubby jazz picks and I always like them for a minute then they start slipping. Now I use the Jazz III's (usually the red ones) all of the time.

Comment

Haha, yeah...I did use the red jazz IIIs...for some reason they always slipped, too. I would wrap electrical tape around them to get a grip. They looked cool, though.

I used to have the regular tortex ones, but they felt kinda cumbersome and goofy. I would mess up playing, or they'd get stuck on strings...so I moved to those smaller pointier ones that I like a lot, the dang things just slip all the time...

Nick

Comment

Try rubbing it against a piece of sanding paper to rough it up. Works for me.
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

The black Jazz III's are less slippery than the red ones. I haven't figured out why I'm better with the red ones, but for some reason I am.

Comment

Try punching some small holes in your picks, that will create enough ficition.

Comment

I use Dunlop Tortex Black Sharps. (the black is the size, I believe it's 1.35 or 1.15, I've not looked at the size in awhile, since I've been using them for years.

I've not dropped one in some time. However, when I did drop picks, I would take a razor and carve X's in it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I've not dropped one in some time. However, when I did drop picks, I would take a razor and carve X's in it.

[/ QUOTE ]
                    I used to carve Xs in my picks, too. Got that trick from Dimebag Darrell. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hey I use 3mm Stubbies too!

I used to have slipping problems with rythm too... Now They're pretty much gone.. I guess I'm used to them

Comment

Drill holes in 'em for added grip.

I agree that the black Jazz IIIs are less slippery than the red ones (the red ones are easier to find though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ).

I use HotLicks Copper picks, cut to a small circular shape (using a penny as a template), so it doesn't matter which way it's pointing, and drill a few holes in the middle for grip. An actual penny also works well - and it's cheap! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I got it from Amir Derakh (spelling) of Orgy. I was bitching about dropping picks (and amongst other things, when I played in an Orgy cover band, make up) and he showed me what he did.

I've not dropped a damn thing since though, so I quit cutting them. I've cut my fingers so many damn times doing it.

Comment

Have you tried the Dunlop Big Stubbies? I use the 2mm version.

Comment

Actually, no, I've only been using the regular sized 3mm stubbies...are the bigger ones easier to handle?

-Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X