X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk picks

Not sure where to put this, I figured this was the best thread for it

So, as time progressed I found myself going thicker in picks
    Once upon a long ago, I started with Dunlop .38, then .60, .73, 1.0 and now I'm at 1.14
    Now picks are a very personal choice, and if there's one thing I hate most of all, it's losing grip, so for this reason, I've been using Dunlop Max Grip picks for quite a few years now
    and I was wondering if I should jump to 1.5

Never really did my homework, and was wondering what you guys could tell me about the pros/cons of thin/thick, stiff/flexible picks
    any pitfalls in either?
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

What I tell my students and customers - thin picks allow you to be sloppy and prevent you from improving.
    But since you are not a beginner, I will clarify --- Soft floppy picks are death.
    And that is because the stiffness varies amongst materials. It is not just about thickness.

I use 3 picks based on what instrument I am playing.
    Electric guitars with 9's (and some 10's) - Dunlop Tortex Green (.88), and sometimes I order the same pick in black.
    Ovation acoustic 12-string using a set of electric 9's - I use to Tortex Orange (.60). The slightly thinner pick allows me to get between slightly closer strings.
    Bass guitar - Tortex Purple (1.14). The heavy bass strings require a heavier pick.

But for my 6 string acoustics, I still use the green. Although, some of the thicker acoustic strings that other people put on their guitars, I will again use the blue or purple ones.
    And other brand 12 stings, I can use the green.

It really boils down to a preference. But that preference also revolves around a combination of your strings and style.
    Materials sound different. Thicknesses perform different. Thicker strings need stiffer picks, otherwise there's not enough power to move the string. Faster playing needs stiffer picks.
    It really boils down to all of the variables.

In general, I use the example of ---
    Try moving a rock with a piece of paper. Also, try moving a bigger rock with a metal pipe.
    Which one gave you better results?

But there are also picks designed for, as example, nylon string guitars. Because, in that instance, you don't want the pick to be making noise. The nylon picks allow for more guitar sound. Less twang, more ring.
    Think of it like the difference between a bassist using his finger or using a pick. There is that sharp percussive attack (pizzicato) with the pick, but a smoother tone with fingers (non-slap).

In other words - I said a lot but said nothing.

Comment

Oh I don't mind non-answers

I've heard of players playing with stubbies. tried a 2.0 out a while, but it almost feels like the thickness decreases the attack, and it was a bit cumbersome
      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I go between .73 to 1.0 mostly like Dunlop Tortex I buy a 72 pack of .73 and .88.

Comment

Jazz IIIs. Love them.

Comment

Ive been using the green Tortex med jazz picks for a few years now. I love them, can't use anything thinner anymore, and if you give me a full size pick it's like I have to learn all over again. Imo they're a good balance between picking and strumming. I am almost out of them however, and have thought about going a little thicker this time.

Flexible/thin is great for strumming. Thick is good for syncopated picking, and much better for playing fast. Like, not even close.

Round tips I can't use either. Thick and pointy, good accuracy, tight and fast playing.
            Last edited by TKEblue; 04-29-2017, 06:37 PM.
            I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Try the jazz III ultex it's all I use. It isn;t real thick buy has the feel of a thick pick. No give at all took me a little while to get used to it . They never seem to wear out either.

Comment

Depends on what I'm playing. I moved to Tortex blue 1mm a long time ago because I hated the flex, but as time goes on I'll opt for a .7 something if I'm doing any strumming. I keep both on my headstock so I can flip flop for whatever situation.

Comment

Ultex are hands down the best. I like the normal 1mm.... not too fond of the sharps. They have good attack, are stiff and don't wear funny and they can also be easily reshaped 3-4 times with auto grade sandpaper. I do like Tortex picks, but they seem to be a little softer and while they can be reshaped easily, they don't seem to last as long. I like the Gators as well.

I do like the Jackson black soft rubbery picks as well. Unlike the Ultex, they have a very soft attack and are fairly durable and last.
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Another vote Ultex Jazz III. You'll lose more than you wear out too.

Comment

Cool brand Mediums. I buy them in bulk. They are white w/blue cat tongue grip. I will burn through 3 in an evening playing 40 songs. They get worn pretty fast and a pick slide will really tear up the sides. I will get a little more life out them for home/practice use by using sandpaper on the edges.

Comment

I had "pick-initis" for a few years and went through different types and thickness (no pun intended lol)

I really liked the black ice 1.10 mm from Planet Waves and a few months back, I could not find any and tried the Dunlop Petrucci Jazz pick and now I really like it.

Last edited by BenoA; 05-01-2017, 04:29 PM. Reason: Too large image!
                        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Anyone try the pick boy ceramics? I'm considering giving them a try, they do have raised bumps for retention, if that matters to you.
                          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by DRM View Post
                            Jazz IIIs. Love them.
                            This... been using Jazz III since the day they came out.
                            Does't matter what guitar or string gauge I'm playing, I only use a Jazz III.
                            I know what to expect from them and any other pic feels awkward in my hand.
                            Hell I carry two of them with me at all times. Never know when you may run across a nice fiddle to play.

Oh and I only get the red ones... easier to locate when you drop one on a black stage.
                            -Rick

Comment

I've been using Dunlop Tortex blues 1mm since the 80s. Literally. Sometimes I'll switch to the purples - 1.14mm - but they don't seem very different to me. Honestly, they just work for me, so I haven't ventured out to try anything different. And when I have tried other types, they usually feel either too floppy or too slippery to grip.

Comment

Working...
                              X