Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rocksmith? Anyone use it? Worth getting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the interface between guitar and computer? I was looking at this to expand my skillz but would like to know a bit more about the hardware first.

As for comparing this to Crock Band/Shitar Zero, it's my understanding Rocksmith requires a real electric guitar with real strings, not a 5-button mickey moose toy. Big difference.

As for teaching tone and vibe and mojo and ear, you either learn as you go or you do not. You cannot teach good tone, good phrasing, or how to listen and pick out a note/scale/progression. You either can or you cannot. You learn the scale, you recognize it when you hear it later.

Making an improvised solo work in a song is one of those things you have to develop more by ear and feel than by a book formula, otherwise it comes across as scripted, which is not what improv is.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

USB at one end of the cord, 1/4" jack into your guitar at the other end.

It's not bad. I play by ear and it was a little hard getting used to playing by sight.

I'm working a lot now so no time for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack The Riffer View Post
        Rocksmith 2014 has what's called session mode and you can set what scale and key you want to play and choose a backing "band" or create your own band. At the bottom of the screen is the scale diagram and you can zoom out to show all the positions of that scale on the neck, it highlights the chord tones as you play and it is dynamic with the backing track meaning the chord tones change as your "band" changes. I find it pretty helpful as far as improv goes.
        best feature of it. It's a helluva lot of fun. I love how the band is completely responsive to what you are playing. "alright, boys. Let's take it down a notch for a second..... aaaand GO!!"
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
          USB at one end of the cord, 1/4" jack into your guitar at the other end.

It's not bad. I play by ear and it was a little hard getting used to playing by sight.

I'm working a lot now so no time for it.
          Thought maybe it had an inline box like iRig or something. Seems odd that a simple 1/4"-USB cable can transmit the data to let you know if you're playing it right.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

It's just an A/D convertor. The processor figures out what notes are coming from your guitar by analyzing the signal. They can probably cheat a little with the tracking algorithms since they know what notes you are supposed to be playing.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

it's only registering the note. You can play it wherever you want. So you don't have to play the song exactly as written. If you want to play that A chord at the 5th instead of open, that's fine
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Ah, I see. What about sound? Does it use Line6 stuff like Shitar Hero/Crock Band?

Comment

It uses your CPU (Laptop / Xbox / PlayStation) for distortion and effects. I haven't played too deeply, but I think the tone of the guitar is set to match the song you are playing. For example, when you are playing along to The Trooper, it sounds like Maiden, vs. if you were laying a country or pop tune.

Comment

I thought the game sucked. It is so un-natural the way you have to read the notes.

Comment

Mine arrived yesterday for the PC. $50 shipped to the door from ebay. Brand new with cord. Installed no problem, and got started on a couple songs. I like it, I am really looking forward to getting my playing to another level cause.....I just suck. LOL! Promised myself 2 hours each night for 60 days. Will update as I progress.

Comment

i have the first rocksmith(2012 i think) and its pretty cool. i want the new one cause the songs out the box are better.
                        edit- fwiw although i have the original cable, i had a couple usb mics(rock band) so i just cut the mic of and soldered the wire to a 1/4 male and it works perfectly. they can be found at pawn shops for 3-5 bucks if u dont wanna spend $15-$20 on a cable.
                        Last edited by jdr94; 03-08-2014, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Interesting tip about the cable. Was looking at it at WalMart the other day. Think they wanted $70 for it with the cable (PC)? Can't recall now. Thought I saw it for like $30 without the cable, but that may have been the 360 download version.

Comment

guess i should also mention the mic was from wii rockband. my rocksmith is on xbox360 so i guess the platform doesnt matter.

Comment

I just got bandfuse today for 30 bucks for the Xbox360. It plays great, includes adapter for audio signal.
                              My hair is on fire!!!!!My hair is on fire!!!!!!
                              Marshall 2205, 6100, 6100LM, JMP-1, EL84 20/20, VHT 2/50/2, Marshall 1960A & B cabs, '79 Strat, '84 Pacer, '98 Wolfgang, '08 Charvel San Dimas x 3.

Comment

yeah that looks like a great game. i need to get that one. has alot better songs to choose from.

edit- i just wanted to come back and report my mic/extra guitar cable didnt recognize on the xbox today. not sure why. it worked before. i used to record on my pc but i dont think that would change anything. anyway just wanted to let you guys know. i dont wanna steer anyone wrong.
                                Last edited by jdr94; 03-14-2014, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X