Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rocksmith? Anyone use it? Worth getting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocksmith? Anyone use it? Worth getting?

Just wondering if anyone can comment on this if it's worth getting.

I suck at playing leads because I don't practice. So I'm looking at getting this as a fun way to practice.

I'd have to get a PS3 ($199) as well.

Worth it?

Thanks,

Don

They have a PC version of it out now Don.

It's a decent way to learn and/or practice the included songs. I haven't tried the new "2014" edition or whatever they are calling it, but they've apparently added a lot more practicing type things to it.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I enjoyed it. Haven't played in a while but it's good at getting you to mess with songs outside your normal genre. You'll like it.

Comment

I have never used it myself but I have a friend who never played a guitar in his life and he bought Rocksmith. He called me out of the blue one day and asked me to come over to his house and to bring a guitar with me. I had nothing else going on that day so I said "sure I'll stop by and see you." I was very curious as to why he wanted me to bring a guitar with me. When I got there he said lets go down to my spot I have set up in the basement. I couldn't believe what I saw next. He had bought himself a really nice used set up. He had a Les Paul and an Egnater 2X12 combo! I would've killed for a set up like that when I was just starting out!! Anyway I thought to myself "Oh here comes the part where he asks for lessons." But to my surprise he had a copy of Rocksmith and had been messing with it for a while before he called me. I usually am not big on all the fake shit like "guitar queer-o" but I have to say he could play songs pretty damn good after only a little bit of time using it. I have to say in my opinion as a professional teacher that a tool like "Rocksmith" Isn't a bad thing to have in your inventory. This guy never had ANY MUSICAL ABILITY AT ALL!! Here he was jamming to some black keys and some Led Zepplin. Anything that sparks people's interest in "REALLY" learning how to play a musical instrument and teaches them how is a good thing in my opinion.
        This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I used it. I liked it. Recommend it to any one.-Lou
          " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

If it encourages you to practice more its a good thing. That's what I buy new gear for....lol.....

Seriously... from what I saw....it looks like a slick system

Comment

I believe it works well, it taught me a few songs and I can't play for shit I would recommend it for sure!
              I like black and white guitars

Comment

I think I'll get the PC version. Thanks guys.

Comment

I've never used it, but it looks cool. I'd guess it'd be good for learning specific songs and working on technique. But I wonder if it teaches things that help with ear training, improvisation, dynamics, etc.? Being able to robotically mimic songs and actually being a musician are two completely different things.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                    I've never used it, but it looks cool. I'd guess it'd be good for learning specific songs and working on technique. But I wonder if it teaches things that help with ear training, improvisation, dynamics, etc.? Being able to robotically mimic songs and actually being a musician are two completely different things.
                    +1 That was the one thing that was lacking. It'll teach you chords and rhythms but ear training and improv I am afraid you're on your own. Besides nobody can teach how to have a good ear. You have to develop that on your own by listening and memory. Nuances and dynamics are another thing I find that people have to develop on there own pretty much. You can tell people the theory behing these things all day but until they "Get it" they wont get it.
                    Last edited by leftykingv2; 12-02-2013, 10:03 PM.
                    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I've got the ear training down. I can play along to most stuff on CD's which is what I enjoy doing. But what I feel I'm lacking is knowing exactly which notes to hit in a solo for example. And I pretty much just still to power chords, and would like to fill in the vocabulary with a few oddball chords. It's like I'm close to being good, but just need a little push to get me over the top.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        I've got the ear training down. I can play along to most stuff on CD's which is what I enjoy doing. But what I feel I'm lacking is knowing exactly which notes to hit in a solo for example. And I pretty much just still to power chords, and would like to fill in the vocabulary with a few oddball chords. It's like I'm close to being good, but just need a little push to get me over the top.
                        I am about to just start skyping all of my bros. on the JCF for free in my down time. When I get a webcam I'll let you know Don. You've helped me with so many tech. problems I owe you and the guys like Toejam and Stray to name a few on here at least that much! Not to mention how great everyone else has been to me since I joined this forum. I know I am a a newbie pretty much but you guys have been really good to me and welcomed me in a lot more than you had to. In my opinion this is why the JCF is the best guitar forum on the planet. We're like a dysfunctional family!! We fight like cats and dogs but in the end we're all bonded by our love of Jackson/Charvel!
                        Last edited by leftykingv2; 12-03-2013, 12:44 AM.

Comment

I just bought it for my son for Christmas, so I'll bump this thread after I see how it helps/doesn't help a beginner. Unfortunatley I don't have much time to spend with him during the week due to work and commute. I'm hoping the wide range of songs on it appeal to his interests, there's a lot of diversity in the set list. The free jam AI looked pretty cool, as well as the scale 'teacher' mode.... I'm certainly interested in looking at it in action vs. a you tube video!
                          Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                            Rocksmith 2014 has what's called session mode and you can set what scale and key you want to play and choose a backing "band" or create your own band. At the bottom of the screen is the scale diagram and you can zoom out to show all the positions of that scale on the neck, it highlights the chord tones as you play and it is dynamic with the backing track meaning the chord tones change as your "band" changes. I find it pretty helpful as far as improv goes.
                            Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

I bought myself the PC version when it was on sale on Steam, but haven't been home long enoght to get much of a play with it due to holiday running around.
                              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                              X