• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Word Videos

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
    Mr. Anti-shred posts again! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    [/QB]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">HEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!! i thought I was mister anti-shred! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:

It is MUCH easier for a guy with chops to learn "feel" than vice versa.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yikes...i couldn't disagree more...chops are simply mechanical. like building muscle; enough reps will get you there. it's like putting yourself in a race car yet KNOWING how to drive it. listen to yngwie and dio's cover of dream on, and you'll get the epitome of tastelessness. (no reflection on RJD here)

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Exactamundo!

Comment

Okay, it's easier for ME then! And Sully, there's room for many Mr. Anti Shreds! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I started as a real "feel" oriented player and that is easy for me. Shred is harder and I have to work on that much more diligently. That's why I disagree with those who say "anyone" can do it by just practicing enough. That's like saying any athlete has an equal chance of making the Olympics or pro sports with equal practice. We may all have an equal
          opportunity to TRY, but just as some athletes are just more talented than others, so some players are more shred-capable by nature than others. I am NOT one of the blessed ones!

[ July 14, 2003, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

RIGHT ON WORD! Woo-hoo! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Very good Word....Bravo....Next time make it longer....
              Watch your pinky though, you need to train it. Watch the video and see how your pinky is flailing, but not doing anything. Now imagine how good you could be if you could utilize it on the fret board. Lots of great players utilize only 3 fingers while playing, but thats no reason not to limit your training. Start now while your still young........

Comment

Hey I think I got one of those "Flailing Pinkies" too.....but what part of me isn't flailing ...well maybe my hair [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

...I'm high [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

That was a noticable issue that I had to work on when I was 15.. "why does my pinky think it's tea time?".. when practicing scales and exercises.
                  I still catch myself when I fall out of practice. There's plenty of three fingered shred players tho..

Just think Word.. you're putting us back in touch with our *inner player*

Bill, I agree. Few people were playing with the constant speed, clearity and intensity of Frank save for Ed and maybe Schenker,Blackmore, Lifeson.
                  I was very suprised when I bought Marino's other studio albums how much he crossed into jazz as well. I was rather disappointed when I seen him live..he would've much better in a smaller club.

Can't say I wasn't seduced by Holdsworth phrasing and tone tho when he sat in with Jean Luc Ponty.

anyways.. enough about me...this is about Word..
                  ya got the right stuff Word, and you seem to be more improved than when you posted the sound clips, so I would say your investments are in the right direction.

It won't be long before you get offers worthy of your talent and you'll be meeting those who inspired you.

[ July 15, 2003, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

Hot damn, Word! I've been playing six years longer than you are alive and I'm nowhere near you. I truly enjoyed your videos. How's that, coming from a straightforward blues/rock/heavy metal guitarist who likes simple riffing and simple soloing played with great feel and energy?

You do want you want to do, because you do it real well! If you're not into the blues for example ... well, don't play it. Follow your heart.

But ... here's the $ 64.000 question: can you play AC/DC and Motorhead tighter than a well digger's ass? [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                    [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

J/K with the last comment, of course!

Comment

cool shredding.The sweep picking is great! how many hours of practise do you put in a day?
                      93 USA Soloist EDS
                      USA HT6 Juggernaut
                      Charvel DK24FR

Comment

I'm a little (a lot) late posting in this topic but I really love the clips Word. You've got a lot of talent for your age and you still have a lot more growing to do. Can't wait to see what comes of you man.

Building on what the guy before me said, how many hours do you practise a day and what meterials (books, videos, dvds) are you learning from?

Me, I'm 22 and your way ahead of me. I use Metal Method, Fretboard Logic and listening to records.
                        I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Usually I put about 6 or 7 hours into practice each day.

I don't really follow any methods or read any books or anything.. I just listen to music and watch videos of my favorite guitar players and learn techniques and stuff from them. Then I take what I know of their music and styles and create my own.

Thanks so much. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Word, will there be some videos where you use your Rhoads?

Comment

Yes.. soon.. busy today, though. I'll try and make a few tomorrow.

I'm going to a local death metal concert, then I'm on to see David Lee Roth! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps:
                                Word - good job. Much cleaner than some of the stuff I remember you posting like that in the past - I can tell you've been practicing! You probably outshred technique-wise many of the players here on the board.

This is my opinion only... and take it or leave it. Your technique is rockin'... now find some backing tracks and practice over those. Once you get more comfy doing that, then find a band... because playing all the scales/cool licks in the world will NOT help you play in the pocket with a band. I was in a guitar player/yahoo room not long ago, where guys were playing guitar. There was a guy who was a shredding monster... sounded like rusty cooley, and this kid was 17 (or so he said.) Just wailed on solo stuff.

He also played over a backing track, and sounded horrible. It was like two recordings being played out of sync. I'm NOT saying you would sound that bad, but if you just focus on scales and not applying those cool licks to music, you're missing out.

Pete
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What Pete said...you've got to learn to be able to apply the technical abilities with accompaniment or you have wasted too much time on it. You have to learn to jam and improvise in a goup setting
                                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                                X