New Word Videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Word Videos

Little hard on Box there aren't ya there guys? Everyone has a right to their opinion. He presented it nicely and you still jumped on him, how nice of you. Word needs some constructive criticism and I think that’s what box was doing. From that, Word can choose to take the advice or not. A player needs that stuff for motivation in to the right direction, and age shouldn’t take a part in it. Is pointing out the bad things really that bad? Saying how great he is really doesn't do him any good when he lacks in a lot of areas of playing. I'm sure he understands he does need work on some things, but is probably les motivated to work on it because no one has ever said anything. So what if he’s only 14 and only has been playing for 2 years? He's already proven he’s a quick learner. If he doesn’t play like a kid, don’t treat him like one. Never heard anyone point out that he need to work on rhythm. If you did, he’d probably be an excellent rhythm player too by now because he’d know that that’s what he needs to work on. Just a thought...

[ July 13, 2003, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: Sandman0170 ]

Comment

Thanks Jeremy. Yeah Rich, you're right on target. I'm so jealous of the attention that Word gets online, why it just makes me forget all the real life attention I got when my band played gigs and people told me I was good...the JCF is the real stage man, if you make it here you are IN, let me tell you what...

Comment

I've been writing a ton of my own music, actually. I have some lyrics written.. but I don't feel good about posting them.. lol..

Chris Broderick from Jag Panzer is awesome. I first saw him on www.chopsfromhell.com. Amazing guitar player. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
          . I'm so jealous of the attention that Word gets online, why it just makes me forget all the real life attention I got when my band played gigs and people told me I was good...the JCF is the real stage man
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">hahaha!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          Ok!! Boxcar, now it's time to show the world your tits!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Cham [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

gonna chime in with my .02 here...word, your chops are great...but songs are what'll make you money...evanesence writes good melodic material...trendy or not...if that's what interests you learn from their songwriting and arrangements and integrate what you like into your songwriting...i fully support the idea of you playing out live it'll do wonders for your playing...but definitely try with your own material...d.m.
            http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Word ...you make me proud and you definately speak my language.....Just keep doin' what your doin' ...you have a lot of heart and it shows.

I may not know theory and may not be the most technical player ....but I put my heart and all the fire I can into it ....If not why bother playin' right?...

We are going to be hearing about you in the near future probably landing a super cool gig ....at the pace your goin'!!!!!!

Keep Shreddin' .......Life's too fast to play slow [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Word, you have some great sweeping there......cleaner than I can do. It's great you are progressing in a field that people seem to look at as un-attainable to their abilities. People often sell themselves short and it makes it all too easy for a them to build a wall that blocks their progression.
                That was the good criticism. Now for the not so good.
                What does your picking sound like without your reverb and delay tied in? This tells alot.
                Your blues lick is a basic 12 bar style blues run....you basically did some halfway type sweeping and some hammer-ons. The speed and the style you played it in just took away the very essence of the core of blues....no emotion....no feeling.....it was just half assed shredded up.
                Next, you obviously have put almost all of your practice into sweep picking and shredding. While I love shredding as much as the next guy, it gets very monotanous very fast. I have never been to an Yngwie, Vai or who ever concert....and I probly never will. I will however sit around and watch a local band that plays a variety of music.
                Learn a more layed back style that pleases a wider audience....the return and appreciation is much greater than appeasing a select few. Not everyone is a guitar player...and alot of guitar players get bored listening to someone wanking for several minutes ( I know I do ).
                I mean, if all you want to do is play fast arpeggioes and sweeps all your life...thats fine.....regardless of what other people say......you probably wont go anywhere with it. You have the select few that have made it popular...however, if it weren't for the "over-the-top" mentallity of the 80's, those guys probably would have never been heard of.
                Quit stroking his ego. Stroking his ego for doing the same stuff over and over again is going to make him want to keep playing that style for the attention. You keep feeding a duck...that duck will keep coming back. I am also not saying to bash Word for something he obviusoly has put hours of practice into.
                Learn some songs that are rythm, timing and emotionally driven. Alot of the 70s rock songs are based on these things. They werent very technical.....they are still popular....why? Because they strike something rythm or emotional wise that makes people feel the song. -Lou
                " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

I have to go to bat for Box too. He was wasn't bashing Word, just offering constructive criticism.

A few posts ago, someone mentioned that it's easier to for a shred guy to learn feel than it is for a feel guy to learn shred. Nothing could be further from the truth. All that flashy, speedy stuff can be learned by practicing... It's nothing more than muscle memory and coordination. But to have great FEEL, phrasing, and melody is not something that can easily attained... many people NEVER acheive it. I mean, who listens to Rusty Cooley or Micheal Angelo for their clever melody lines?

Word, you really need to sit down with a drum machine and practice with that or play along to a backing track. It will make a ton of difference in your playing. Also, playing blues is more than playing a few double stops. Work on your bending technique and different types of vibrato. Don't get discouraged, and if you really want to be the next Vai, keep at it. Just remember that music is a way of expressing a thought or emotion and not a sporting event.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                    My tits can beat up your tits!

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Amen ! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I am out of work for awhile so give me 1 year and we'll see whos tits are bigger [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] //Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Shakeel:
                      </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Steve:
                      check out this dude Word he's a example of all the hard work paying off in time and he's got the second guitar spot in Nevermore now [touring guitarist] as well http://www.jagpanzer.com/frameset.htm got to the vids section //Steve
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">DAMN HE IS GOOD
                      [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
                      THANK YOU SO MUCH STEVE FOR POSTING THIS LINK !
                      </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">no prob , so did you like that mozart thing ? //Steve

Comment

That was the first vid i clicked on [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

FREAKIN AWESOME [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
                          Not to sound like a douche, but I hear a few things that are missing in the playing...mainly feeling and a good sense of taste. Word, staying in your bedroom all day long playing guitar and looking at the internet is ok, but if you want to get anywhere with your music you're gonna have to get out and experience life...

Give me a break Sandman. You call that tactful? The rest that follows what I posted may get constructive but sh!t! Piss poor delivery. Boxcar does this lot's and based on what...Two clips, two very diverse clips actually. There is constructive criticism and then there is being an ass. I have to ask...Boxcar, what you actually know about Word? You just assume he sits at his computer and plays in his room. If you want to criticize Word or anyone constructively, then comment on issues more specific to the style of playing they are trying to convey to you. "No feeling/ No taste". What a typical response. [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] How about mentioning how he can improve the technique he is showing you? Like this...Hey word, I have some tab of Pachelbel Canon with sweep/tapping techniques all the way through using both major and minor arpeggio positions that will really challenge you.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

cool shred clip word,blues one was too fn short mate..lol

regarding speed/styles mentioned here.who cares if its good music,its done well

there are a few who knock fast stuff for its no feeling?and there are also those who knock slower stuff for being easy?..lol

You have to play at all speeds,and have a good ear for other styles if you want to comunicate clearly and freely.
                            speed is just another paint brush to use,as is phrasing/dynamics/timing..but everyone needs the full colection of brushes

word at a young age has got the tec(speed)brush well on the way as a usefull tool,next phrases come along..once again cool clip

Comment

lol just reading dave's tab comment to word!
                              yeahh i have heard that,i might have even tabbed that one out and sent to friends before it started a new life on the net..my one is called kotzen arps that i was taught by shaun baxter a long time ago.very neat and modern sounding(even that long ago!!!)

Comment

Cool. It's a great exercise! And your analogy is a good one. I'll add...Just because someone shows you one or two of their brushes, don't assume that’s all they have! Okay, that’s a bit too corny, but true! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Working...
                                X