Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Word Videos

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
    Not to sound like a douche, but I hear a few things that are missing in the playing...mainly feeling and a good sense of taste. Word, staying in your bedroom all day long playing guitar and looking at the internet is ok, but if you want to get anywhere with your music you're gonna have to get out and experience life...that way you will have inspiration for playing, and if you have that, then you will touch other people with your music. Shredding seems cool when you're young and easily impressed, trust me I went thru a stage where that was all I listened to and all I wanted to do, but it gets really really tired really fast. Anyone can sit and play scales and modes as fast as possible if they sit around all day practicing, but it takes a true musician to communicate different feelings thru what they play and what they don't play. Try to play something with a bit more feeling to get your feet wet, like some Mike McCready solos or something like that...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">its not like there is a melodic backing track that he's wailing over to dictate any sense of feel or taste...just shredding for the sake of shred. Timing and feel come with experience that he will get as he matures and seasons as a player and a young man. Good god the kid hasn't been playing for 3 yrs, cut him some slack. Box I don't know what you got aginst Word but you always seem to find a sly way to add some negativity towards him when reply in the same threads he does.

Word is just a kid man, give him a break. If he woodsheds for a couple years and can play along with whatever type of music he hears....the fruits of his labor will bring him a million times more than what you folks say he's missing out on by sitting in the woodshed now.

Word...keep whatever you are doing up, find a band to jam with even if its just diverse cover tunes, just to get the live experiences outside the woodshed.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Wow! Thanks for all of your replies! You guys' comments really mean a lot to me.

Since Evanesence has been getting quite popular lately, I've been thinking about starting a cover band to play some of that stuff for a little while. I think it's going to be easier to find people who want to play popular stuff like this rather than Dream Theater or Children of Bodom. Plus, I've been kinda getting into them. I'll be able to get them to play some Lacuna Coil, Nightwish and Theatre of Tragedy, and I can slowly edge them towards music like Sinergy. I think all the music sounds really cool with a female vocalist.

I've been putting up ads everywhere looking for people, and have come up with very little. But, I was asked by a friend of mine who works at a local store who has black metal band with a cd released over in the UK, and he wants me to do some stuff with him on his next cd. I think that will be pretty cool. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

But, seriously.. thanks again. I really appreciate all your replies. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Word:
        Wow! Thanks for all of your replies! You guys' comments really mean a lot to me.

Since Evanesence has been getting quite popular lately, I've been thinking about starting a cover band to play some of that stuff for a little while. I think it's going to be easier to find people who want to play popular stuff like this rather than Dream Theater or Children of Bodom. Plus, I've been kinda getting into them. I'll be able to get them to play some Lacuna Coil, Nightwish and Theatre of Tragedy, and I can slowly edge them towards music like Sinergy. I think all the music sounds really cool with a female vocalist.

I've been putting up ads everywhere looking for people, and have come up with very little. But, I was asked by a friend of mine who works at a local store who has black metal band with a cd released over in the UK, and he wants me to do some stuff with him on his next cd. I think that will be pretty cool. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

But, seriously.. thanks again. I really appreciate all your replies. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">word start writing your own stuff and playing it live man !!! screw that trendy stuff man that evanesance band is already on they're way out the trend metal door I'd give em 1 album more and then they'll be done ! true metal is immortal and always remembered for 20 or 30 years ! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] //Steve

Comment

check out this dude Word he's a example of all the hard work paying off in time and he's got the second guitar spot in Nevermore now [touring guitarist] as well http://www.jagpanzer.com/frameset.htm got to the vids section //Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve:
            check out this dude Word he's a example of all the hard work paying off in time and he's got the second guitar spot in Nevermore now [touring guitarist] as well http://www.jagpanzer.com/frameset.htm got to the vids section //Steve
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">DAMN HE IS GOOD
            [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
            THANK YOU SO MUCH STEVE FOR POSTING THIS LINK !

Comment

[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Great stuff bro!!!
              Oh I can remeber when .........Oh forget it, just keep on being yourself dude! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Originally posted by Chameleonfong:
                Wow!! not only can you sweep like yngwie, you also have tits like his!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LOL Fong! I was gonna say that, but gee he's a young teen boy....uhhh... so I didn't.... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Word:
                  I was asked by a friend of mine who works at a local store who has black metal band with a cd released over in the UK, and he wants me to do some stuff with him on his next cd. I think that will be pretty cool. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Black Metal? Tsk, tsk, what will your Mom (and your minister) think? Hee hee [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Lmao you have no room to talk Fat Bastard Ron. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks for the replies everyone. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

My tits can beat up your tits!

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
                        Not to sound like a douche, but I hear a few things that are missing in the playing...mainly feeling and a good sense of taste. Word, staying in your bedroom all day long playing guitar and looking at the internet is ok, but if you want to get anywhere with your music you're gonna have to get out and experience life...that way you will have inspiration for playing, and if you have that, then you will touch other people with your music. Shredding seems cool when you're young and easily impressed, trust me I went thru a stage where that was all I listened to and all I wanted to do, but it gets really really tired really fast. Anyone can sit and play scales and modes as fast as possible if they sit around all day practicing, but it takes a true musician to communicate different feelings thru what they play and what they don't play. Try to play something with a bit more feeling to get your feet wet, like some Mike McCready solos or something like that...
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mr. Anti-shred posts again! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Where exactly is Word gonna be able to play at age 14 going on 15? Not in clubs! Yes, he may well be able to jam with friends and play a few school events or stuff like that, and he jams at Musician's Night at the local music store.

I know it's not just anti-Word though; you do this on a lot of "Shredder" threads, and it's the typical "I can't play it so I'll bash it" ploy. It's plain to see. The world needs music of all sorts. You don't see Word saying you need to work up some Dream Theater to get
                        your chops up, do you? You'd be offended if he did, but you don't see it from the other side.

It is MUCH easier for a guy with chops to learn "feel" than vice versa. He'll get it naturally playing with a band once he
                        finds some other kids that have at least enough ability to hang in first gear with him.

You sure have the right to air your opinion here, but your jealousy of Word is so obvious you're making yourself look bad. Think about it.

[ July 12, 2003, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
                          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mr. Anti-shred posts again! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Where exactly is Word gonna be able to play at age 14 going on 15? Not in clubs! Yes, he may well be able to jam with friends and play a few school events or stuff like that, and he jams at Musician's Night at the local music store.

I know it's not just anti-Word though; you do this on a lot of "Shredder" threads, and it's the typical "I can't play it so I'll bash it" ploy. It's plain to see. The world needs music of all sorts. You don't see Word saying you need to work up some Dream Theater to get
                          your chops up, do you? You'd be offended if he did, but you don't see it from the other side.

It is MUCH easier for a guy with chops to learn "feel" than vice versa. He'll get it naturally playing with a band once he
                          finds some other kids that have at least enough ability to hang in first gear with him.

You sure have the right to air your opinion here, but your jealousy of Word is so obvious you're making yourself look bad. Think about it.
                          </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hahaha!!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          This is getting more and more personal now! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Come on Mr lerxstcat, everyone have thier own preference of music, being anti-shred doesn't means he's jealous [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

And a little reminder, being in the JCF doesn't necessarily means that he/she has to like shredding. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img] Cham [img]graemlins/baby.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                            My tits can beat up your tits!

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hell!!! Yeah!! i'm sure Ron has "F" on him!!

Forgotten to add this to my last post, "I love shredding!"

Cham

Comment

Cham, it doesn't have to be shred, you're right. You know what though, if there's a thread about Angus Young being great,
                              I'm not going to pee in your Wheaties by
                              coming in and saying, "If he'd learn a few sweep picking patterns..." you get the idea. His thing is his, shred is shred, and not necessarliy do the twain need to meet.

If it's not chops jealousy, then maybe
                              it's attention jealousy. Word gets a lot of praise here, more than Boxcar who's a
                              few years older. It's rather obvious that he makes negative posts in many threads where Word's involved; shred threads where, due to his disdain for shred, you wonder why he's even reading the thread. I'm not looking at the Angus Young or Ace Frehley or Mick Mars threads
                              (if any) because their playing doesn't interest me. Nothing against them, they just don't interest me.

Therefore, why go into a shred thread,
                              or the mp3 of someone you know shreds, to knock shred and talk up feel? Most likely to stir things up. We can all go
                              to whatever threads we want, but try to respect that you're in another camp than
                              your own.
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Wow! Thanks for backing me up there, Rich. I really appreciate it, man!

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X