Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

holy carp, i finally wrote something new.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84 View Post
    sounds good sully! glad you are slingin the ol' axe again!
    Yes, sounds great, good tone and good space there. Very good for a writing demo. Hope everyone finds their creative spark, or break a leg - whichever side of the sentiment you prefer.

Comment

Sully,

The feel that you had rolling in the background after :24 was killer. Very loose, atmospheric and moody as fuck. I loved it. Before that, it seemed like you were trying to find your way into it. The problem was that the jazz feel didn't really work, for me. I think with a few more takes on the lead portion you would have something really nice ontop of it.

BTW, I liked the lick at 1:17 that was a nice scream =)

It is hard to do something different and put it out there. I have never experienced anything that you have written before this and quite frankly, I avoid this neck of the forum like the plague because, I am way too critical of my own playing to put it out there. I will have to try..... soon.

-Nate
      Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

sweet track... smokey and brooding. Great rhythm tone, very crisp with just enough grind. Keep it comin'. Some droughts you can just put the guitar down and wait, others you need to woodshed and force yourself over the hump.

Comment

wow. thank you, thank you, thank you. i had a fear that the thread would have no replies b/c everyone was following the "if you can't say anything nice" rule.
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I'm going to boink my wife to Sully's new ditty.

I just want you to know this!

BTW..I'll prolly be done before the song is over..and I like that!

Very nice brutha Sully,

Bill Z
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Getting it out there is the hardest part dude, and you nailed it! You can hear the inspiration in it with the vibe coming across perfectly too.

Music is such an internal thing that often we drench ourselves in criticism and stop it from being natural, and fun. Its just a matter of not trying to please our internal hater, but letting the music come out of us instead (creativity = happiness)

Comment

I do like the rythym section, very moody and atmospheric but I can't say I like the lead work. Especially in the first part, you sound so unsure of the notes you're playing and nearly all of your bends are out of tune..

Though I think it's the background not the lead work that makes a song good. So I like it overall but I'd work a bit more on the leads Glad you got back into writing, good luck

BTW "holy CARP" would be a great song title
                Check my bands!
                www.myspace.com/magicktr
                www.myspace.com/sinif64
                www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

damn sully nice little fills through out..love the rolled back tone sound you did for the leads. Nicely done my friend!
                  www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                  My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

that was the funniest compliment i've ever received. thanks!

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                    I'm going to boink my wife to Sully's new ditty.

I just want you to know this!

BTW..I'll prolly be done before the song is over..and I like that!

Very nice brutha Sully,

Bill Z
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by NextInLine View Post
                      Especially in the first part, you sound so unsure of the notes you're playing and nearly all of your bends are out of tune..
                      correct on both points! it was a scratch track, and i think that i was mostly happy that something actually happened, if that makes any sense. that said, i don't know that i'll go back and correct anything. although now that i have a bass, i may add a bass track, which then may make me wanna fix a few here and there.

Originally posted by NextInLine View Post
                      BTW "holy CARP" would be a great song title
                      nice!
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                        i don't know that i'll go back and correct anything. although now that i have a bass, i may add a bass track, which then may make me wanna fix a few here and there.
                        I know the feeling.

Sometimes it's like mowing the lawn. You don't really hafta get out there with a ruler and measure each section to make sure it's perfect, but those sprouts at the corners will always be an eyesore until you trim them up
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Love it. Agree with the folks who mentioned Knopfler, I get a similar groove off of it.

Great, thanks!
                          Keith
                          The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Working...
                          X