Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

holy carp, i finally wrote something new.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• holy carp, i finally wrote something new.

most here wouldn't know, but the past few years have been a musical drought for me. i haven't really been into playing, or hearing myself play the same crap over and over again by myself. so last night, i decided to write something. not having a bass makes it difficult, but whatever. so anyway, yeah; here's what i wrote and recorded last night in garageband. the drum loop is courtesy of apple, the guitar was recorded with my line 6 tone port, and i used my reverse spalt top firebird. the usual disclaimers apply; the solo guitar track was one take; there's some parts of it that i like, some that i really don't, but i'm too damn happy right now that i actually wrote something to care. last disclaimer is that this is completely not something metal like. so if nothing else, give it a listen and be a little happy for me.

http://www.sullyville.net/music/regrets.mp3

sully (nervously hits the "submit new thread" button)
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Pretty cool. Sounds like something from a movie score. I like it, although I don't like the guitar tone myself either on the lead or rythm. But I do like the melody and the playing.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

dude... Mark Knopfler or whatever you call yourself ... those were some great guitar sounds and nice rythm riff too!
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

cool man
        Guitars:
        '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
        '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
        '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
        Amp:
        VOX AD30VT

Comment

cool Sully, nice job! I'm also happy for ya...I'm in that funk right now myself and can't seem to shake it so I know excatly what you are talking about
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

That was cool. Atmospheric. It had a randomness that was interesting too. Thanks for sharing that.
            "We were sitting on the bus one day and there were 5 of us hanging out. There was only one beer left in the cooler and we actually all took a little cup and split it. It was a pathetic day in a rock and roll when five grown men have to be sitting there sharing a beer. "
            Zakk Wylde

Comment

Interesting. The lead/rhythm seems to be a bit shaky for about the first 1/3rd of it, but it starts to click near 1:00.

You should focus on the vibe going on from 1:00 to the end (but without that shredding bit at 1:18-1:25, though it might work as a reversed track buried in the mix) - just that sparse, breathy vibe. Think "overlooking L.A. at night, watching the clouds cross the moon", or some sort of tranquil desert imagery.

Congrats on breaking the fog

I think this track could "be something" with a bit more focus.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Dude that was great. There are a lot of mp3 submissions that I am hesitant about responding to but I wanted submit a response on this before it was even done playing. Great job!

What ever happened to that star guitar you have?
                Just one more guitar!

Comment

great stuff, sully. Best thing I've ever heard from you. And congrats on rediscovering your muse.
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

It has real mellow vibes, while still being upbeat and punchy. It captivated me for 9 minutes and 52 seconds... because I listened to it four times in a row. I really like it Sully. I think the tone suits it. Record more of stuff like that.

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
                    Mark Knopfler or whatever you call yourself ...
                    I got a hint of Sultans of Swing era Dire Straits from it too.

It's certainly better than the formulaic crap I've been recording...

Comment

wow! thanks so much for your kind words, guys; i really appreciate it.

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                      What ever happened to that star guitar you have?
                      if you mean the mahogany star, that was a custom build for our very own dreamland_rebel.
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Nice tune!!! As some said, very atmospheric... Kinda dark and foggy!

I did love the "grindy" clean tone. Would have been cool with a light delay sync with the tempo.
                        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

thanks! the guitar tone was basically a jcm800 with the guitar's volume knob rolled down to about 3.
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

That's my kinda tone dude!!!
                            JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                            Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

sounds good sully! glad you are slingin the ol' axe again!

Comment

Working...
                              X