Why Brits love costume dramas so much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
    Noooooooooooo, in that case I love her even more. There's something really irresistible about a bird with loadsamoney.
    I just watched an episode where a bunch of nuns are actually devil worshippers, and "strip off" into their devil worshipping gear (well, they strip off in the way people did in the 80's in a show airing before the watershed).
    How fucking cool is that? Have you seen that watered down politically correct shite the BBC are putting out as Robin Hood these days?

"Robin Of Sherwood" was quality TV. Well written, nicely acted if lacking in the action sequences, and with lots of devil worshipping AND Ray Winstone as a killer! Awesome!
    Oh, and Judi Trott too, even if she had ginger curly hair, she still looked hot.

Here's some wanking material for you smacker:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

I don't know why the Brits enjoy it so much, but for me personally (And far from being a Brit) I love the look of the clothing, the buildings, those period pieces just look beautiful.

oh course some of the stories are so f*cking horribly boring I'm shocked the suicide rate doesn't double every time one of those movies comes out.

I have still yet to watch it, but one of my friendliest girlfriends used to be very much into the (mini series?) of Pride and Prejudice (I think that's the name) I think I saw 30 minutes of it before we go to other things. but the costumes and everything was very cool.
      In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Well, I can't imagine there's much interest in cop dramas in Britain, unless the daily grind of a London bobby is like The Shield - strewn with crackhouses, drive-bys, corruption, screwing around with female officers, and politics.

Lord knows we need at least one country that produces a steady stream of literate programming. Granted a bunch of old folks sipping tea and talking about the suicidally-bland lives they lead can be rather dull, but at least there's one place to get away from fart/tit/ass/dick jokes and personal dramas that overpopulate American TV.

Speaking of which, I can't understand the popularity of dramas on our TV. It's fine and dandy to do a cop/law drama like Perry Mason, but do we have to follow one character as he gets personally involved with everyone he meets in a season? Am I supposed to connect with a Mormon with 6 wives and a failing business? Should I care that vampires are just trying to fit in with the rest of us?
        Why was Battlestar Galactica so focused on who's fucking whom when the original was an action/adventure? These are fictional characters. Showing me the daily shit in their fictional lives doesn't impress me.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I love costume dramas, and I don't have an ounce of brit in me. =P

As for cop shows - british cop series walk all over american cop series. Just a plain fact of life.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            at least there's one place to get away from fart/tit/ass/dick jokes and personal dramas that overpopulate American TV.

Are you kidding?!
            Period drama? Cock jokes? Double Entendres? Awesome guitar playing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H1JYRmxiT0
            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
              oh course some of the stories are so f*cking horribly boring I'm shocked the suicide rate doesn't double every time one of those movies comes out.
              yeah some are ridiculously boring yet some have very good story lines as many of them are based on great novels by Charles Dickens, Henry James etc.

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              Well, I can't imagine there's much interest in cop dramas in Britain, unless the daily grind of a London bobby is like The Shield - strewn with crackhouses, drive-bys, corruption, screwing around with female officers, and politics.
              I know that many Brits love The Wire for example. And there's definitely crimey cities where little chavs with butchers knives act tough but I believe finding interest in crime TV series has nothing to do where you live.

Granted a bunch of old folks sipping tea and talking about the suicidally-bland lives they lead can be rather dull, but at least there's one place to get away from fart/tit/ass/dick jokes and personal dramas that overpopulate American TV.
              The blandness can have a negative effect. England has world's best theater and there's more high quality actors than anywhere else. Many of them are sick and tired of wearing those stupid costumes and playing the same type of characters all the time. Less diversity can cause less quality in the future.

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
              As for cop shows - british cop series walk all over american cop series. Just a plain fact of life.
              you mean stuff like Midsomer Murders?

I'm personally a fan of Hercule Poirot series... I've been following it since the beginning. That period fascinates me. Specially the 20's and 30's. Now that era had some style and sex. Paris glamour, Mediterranean riviera vacations, New York speakeasies etc.
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Benny Hill rules!
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Black Adder, Red Dwarf for the win. sorry those are my two favorite programs that have ever see the light of day.. and except first series of black adder which is painful to watch.
                  In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                    you mean stuff like Midsomer Murders?

I'm personally a fan of Hercule Poirot series... I've been following it since the beginning. That period fascinates me. Specially the 20's and 30's. Now that era had some style and sex. Paris glamour, Mediterranean riviera vacations, New York speakeasies etc.
                    Yeah, you have the Christie series - Poirot and Marple. Midsomer Murders, Lynley, etc. Check out the mini series "Hyde" if you haven't. It's not exactly a cop show, but it's Nesbit at his best!

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
                      Here's some wanking material for you smacker:

Thank you Martin, I've been flaying my stalk over that all morning. Isn't she just fucking delicious? I also have this thing about nuns (surprise surprise), not because I'm a Catholic or anything, but because I'm a dirty depraved pervert.
                      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                        I love costume dramas, and I don't have an ounce of brit in me. =P

Well that can be arranged. How do you convert ounces to inches?
                        So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

can anyone explain The Mighty Boosh please?
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                            can anyone explain The Mighty Boosh please?
                            nope!
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                              nope!

I'd really like to know why they keep doing that shite. I get the "jokes" but they don't make me laugh, maybe smile for once during the whole episode. It's just painfully boring, they keep dickin' around whit the same kind of shit all the time. Do people find it genuinely hilarious or it's just another "hip" thing among the NME reading indie-fags?

Comment

My favorite was "The Young Ones" why oh why did they ever do away with this onw?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4esUPN8SIs
                                I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Working...
                                X