No announcement yet.

Why Brits love costume dramas so much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Brits love costume dramas so much?

Seriously every year tons of movies, tv-films, mini-series, regular series etc. about posh people wearing stupid clothes. Hey some of it is actually good and there's tons of good actors in them but why SO much of this genre? I've wondered about this about 15 years as trends are changing everywhere but this thing has been the same pretty much forever :think:
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

From the title, I thought you were going to explain why Brits like it so much.

I'll go with - hot chicks in bustiers.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Probably 'cos the last time we achieved anything of note, that's what people were wearing!
      Then there's that whole "Pomp and Pageantry" cobblers that our ruling classes still think is valid.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogans View Post
        Then there's that whole "Pomp and Pageantry" cobblers that our ruling classes still think is valid.
        MMMMmmmmm.... peach cobbler...
        Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
          Seriously every year tons of movies, tv-films, mini-series, regular series etc. about posh people wearing stupid clothes. Hey some of it is actually good and there's tons of good actors in them but why SO much of this genre? I've wondered about this about 15 years as trends are changing everywhere but this thing has been the same pretty much forever :think:
          Pictures or examples please? I'm not following you...

When I think Britain TV I think Benny Hill, so I need lots of help

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post

He means what we would call "period pieces." i.e. historical dramas - dramas that take place in the 1700's, 1800's etc - all castles and manors and big dresses and lady's titties all pushed up and lookin' ripe.
            Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post

some Yanks love this too, some GREATS from US have done films in this style, most notably Stanley Kubrick with "Barry Lyndon", Scorsese with "The Age of Innocence" and A LOT of stuff by James Ivory.
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I should have posted more appropriate picture though

Comment

i don't care what they try, nothing can surpass Monty Python. My Tivo is filled with episodes, or "sketches" as they call them.
                  Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I have no idea why they're always showing that shit over here, I don't know a single person that watches them.
                    Presumably it's the upper class BBC money men paying for them to be made that actually watch them too, while the rest of us lower class monkeys watch The Simpsons, CSI and GOOD old Brit programmes like "The Prisoner", Jeremy Brett's "Sherlock Holmes" and "Robin of Sherwood" on DVD.
                    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

NOTHING is worse than The Might Boosh though... holy fucking shit... now that's bad.

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
                        i don't care what they try, nothing can surpass Monty Python. My Tivo is filled with episodes, or "sketches" as they call them.
                        Amen brother Tommy

I like Faulty Towers, Doctor Who(all of them), Dave Allen At Large(old show) also....ahh good times

MOSHON
                        DAVE
                        "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

My favourite is "Curry & Chips" featuring Spike Milligan. Look it up on Youtube, you'd get shot for trying to do something like that today.

(I know it's hardly a costume drama, but I don't care.)

The reason there's so many of those shitty programs like "Mr Darcy Bumrapes Felicity" or whatever, is because some soft twats keep buying them from the BBC, namely the Yanks. Blame them.

Robin of Sherwood was shite at the time, but I am totally in love with Judy Trott who played Maid Marian. I'd kick her portcullis in any day, she is absolutely gorgeous, with no plastic or Botox, just pure natural beauty. She didn't do anything else apart from Robin of Sherwood, who knows what she's up to now. I live in hope I'll find her selling her bumhole somewhere, I'll be up it like a rat up a drainpipe. Probably looks like Tommy Lee's scrotum now though. Ewww.
                          So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                            My favourite is "Curry & Chips" featuring Spike Milligan. Look it up on Youtube, you'd get shot for trying to do something like that today.

(I know it's hardly a costume drama, but I don't care.)

The reason there's so many of those shitty programs like "Mr Darcy Bumrapes Felicity" or whatever, is because some soft twats keep buying them from the BBC, namely the Yanks. Blame them.

Robin of Sherwood was shite at the time, but I am totally in love with Judy Trott who played Maid Marian. I'd kick her portcullis in any day, she is absolutely gorgeous, with no plastic or Botox, just pure natural beauty. She didn't do anything else apart from Robin of Sherwood, who knows what she's up to now. I live in hope I'll find her selling her bumhole somewhere, I'll be up it like a rat up a drainpipe. Probably looks like Tommy Lee's scrotum now though. Ewww.

Lol! Nah, she still looks alright, she's interviewed on the DVD sets in some big massive garden so presumably she's loaded.
                            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Noooooooooooo, in that case I love her even more. There's something really irresistible about a bird with loadsamoney.
                              So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Working...
                              X