Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother (Bit of a rant)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's really nice. I would keep it. That's one of few Ibanezes I would buy.
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

That's beautiful, Blazer! You did awesome work and you should be proud!

Take the shop's word with a grain of salt. They have a point about originality but the guitar is probably way better than new now.

The problem is that once you make a name for yourself as a builder and restorer, then you can command big money - for your services, more than for selling guitars per se. People will bring you their beloved but beat-down guitars, for you to return them to their youthful glory.

Again, that takes a while to achieve though, and you will sacrifice some money to get enough guitars out there that people start saying, "I remember THAT guitar was beat to shit! WHO restored it?"

You just have to decide if that's the route you want to go, but that's a beautiful job, man! You really should be proud of that!
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Really nice resto work. I honestly never thought that would become a nice looking guitar. Good luck with selling it !!

Comment

Let's be frank - in the world of vintage guitar restoration, you're "a nobody". Yes there are guys who get big $$ for doing the same work you did, but they had to go through years fo name-building at significant financial loss.

The shop is partially correct - people pay for them in original condition. You didn't get it from them in original condition. You got it from them in "$150 with a free hardshell LP-style case" condition. If you paid more than that, and bought into their "but it's a Lawsuit model" hype, shame on you. Beat to shit is beat to shit, and beat to shit is never worth more than $150 unless Jimi Hendrix or Pete Townshend beat it to shit personally, and THAT'S what you hang on the wall.

That said, selling it for anywhere near your total input cost will be difficult even with step-by-step pics of the restoration and a resume`, unless you offer a warranty on the work. Even then you're at the mercy of some asshat who will nitpick it and still not pay more than $500 for it.

Before you sell it, make sure it's got a mark on it somewhere that says who restored it. It would be easy for someone to cheapskate it from you and then pass it on as a "dead mint closet classic" for major $$$. Having something in the control cavity and/or pickup cavities to let future owners know you did the restoration (and an email addy so you can fill them in on the details from start to finish) will go a long way to guarding against that, as well as gets your name out there for such restorations.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Restoring guitars is a tuff market to make a buck. I am sure most of what you did at Knooren Guitars was from people bringing in guitars to be fixed or restored. Odds are they could have cared less what type of hit the value of their guitar was taking. Going through a dealer to sell it is adding a middle-man to the equation. Even the most reputable stores still need to turn a profit. I suggest you ebay it with as many pictures as you can and describe everything you did to it in detail. List it protecting your investment with a high starting bid or with a buy-it-now price.

Comment

Working...
            X