Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother (Bit of a rant)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes I wonder why I even bother (Bit of a rant)

Well, the conclusion of a month of very hard work and over three hundred bucks in expenses would have been today. When I bought my 1976 Ibanez Les Paul Copy it was in terrible shape.

And I subsequently applied everything I learned from working at Knooren Guitars for eleven years and counting in the restoration of this guitar.

So I figured that when it was time to sell it on, I would get an honest price for the effort and Money and the hours I put in this guitar, it's a Lawsuit Ibanez, a collector's item and it plays better and sounds better than ever before.

So when I went to the shop where I bought the guitar they were all "Look at that, is that REALLY the same guitar?", "That must have taken a lot of work.", "Well done!"

But when I placed my cards on the table and let my intentions known about wanting to sell the guitar, their facial expressions suddenly turned into strained facial expressions. The manager told me "This guitar is unsellable."

So I went "What?"

"Yes, this is a vintage Ibanez from the desirable period, yes, you did a killer job restoring it but the guitar is NOT in original condition, NOBODY wants a completely overhauled guitar, it's just not what people want. " He then gave me an estimate of what the guitar would be worth and it wasn't even enough to pay back the money I put in.

I can't remember feeling so grief stricken before as I felt after he told me that. "So you're basically telling me that I did all of this: the stripping, the filling of the hole, the re-routing of the pickup holes, the hours of sanding, the hiring of somebody who would paint it in a professional way, the buffing by hand so it would shine like a mirror for nothing? WAS ALL MY WORK A WASTE OF TIME?"

I guess they saw that they stepped on my soul here, they became aware that they severely rubbed me the wrong way. So they began to say say something among the lines of "No, you had fun doing this didn't you?" and "You can always hang it on the wall and show it to people." but that's not the point here. "I restored this guitar so it could be played, the way it is now means that somebody can use it as their main instrument for years and years to come. I SIMPLY DO NOT RESTORE GUITARS JUST TO HANG THEM ON THE WALL AS SOME KIND OF TROPHY!"

I left that store a broken man: I love working with wood, I love building guitars, I enjoyed every minute of restoring this Ibanez but it doesn't pay. NOBODY wants to buy my self build guitars and now it has been pushed in my face that even after such a successful restoration, it didn't earn me a dime.

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother...

Great work! I had a cream one, neck thru, these are way fuck'n better then those epi pauls. Good job anyways someone on feabay will buy it

Very nice!
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

isn't this what eBay is for?

now go have a beer
      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I read your post Blazer and this is what I think. You mentioned that you didn't restore it for the money.. but rather you restored it for someone to play for years and years and not to be hung on the wall. If that is truly the case.. you wouldn't care what a store told you it was worth nor would you be trying to turn a profit or even recoup your money. I will fill you in on a little secret... like cars and mostly everything else, you don't get back most of what you put in. I also agree with the shop, nobody wants to pay any kind of money for an overhauled Ibanez Lawsuit LP. Ibanez LP's from that vintage are collectable when they are original.
        Bottom line, you did a great job on the guitar and you should be proud. Whoever gets it is gonna be really happy and according to your post, thats all you ever wanted when you started the project. Job well done I say.

Comment

It looks killer.

Comment

Remember that the shop wanted to make a profit on the deal, so what they really meant was : "We'll give you peanuts for it, then sell it at the going rate, which is much more than we have just led you to believe".

Nice job BTW.
            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Great job!
              "POOP"

Comment

Ebay that sumbitch.

That looks good, my man!

Comment

and btw.. I would buy that mutha overhauled or not. That is probably one sweet ride.

Comment

Restoring guitars, just like cars, is not really lucrative, unless you know the exact right models to restore. Most of the time, you will find that you won't make your money back.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Looks like you did a very nice job on it but what you experienced isn't unique to just guitars. Try restoring a car and then selling it, unfortunately the reality is you don't recoup your money most often. And on top of that, the countless hours spent on the restoration really do go under-appreciated by most. If it was restored to be played why not just keep it and play it? You know more than anyone else how much time, effort, and money went into it so you'd probably enjoy it the most
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Great job Blazer!!!
                        Don't forget about Craigslist.
                        I have never had much luck taking a guitar to shop and getting a quote. It is much like taking something to pawn shop. They won't give you shit for it. But they want top dollar for their crap.
                        Just one more guitar!

Comment

Great looking restoration. I can tell you firsthand as a repair shop and a dealer its harder than hell to sell stuff thats shop built or restored.
                          You did a great job on that and someone will appreciate your work by putting some cash in your hand.

Comment

Great Job.It's just like the car business.Stick a high end price on it.If you sell it,great.If not,at least you have some hands on advertising for the work that you do...............
                            Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

What you have to do is find someone looking for exactly what you have - that's the only way your going to get what YOU think its worth (actually you'll get what the buyer thinks its worth).

And you should NEVER sell a guitar to a store - they're only going to give you 1/2 (if that) of what they think they can sell it for. And with a guitar with issues, like what you have, they're probably thinking its just going to take up space on their wall and end up costing them more than they'll be able to recoup.
                              -------------------------
                              Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                              X