No announcement yet.

Satch sues Coldplay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As if coldplay write their own songs. The facts I see are that the entire song structure is the same aswell as the chord structure and alot of melody. Seriously if anyones going to be able to argue a songs theoretic base is copied satch would who I'd think of. Yeah and vai but who the fuck could copy vai?

Comment

More proof Coldplay sucks!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

You show them, Joe!
      "Dear Dr. Bill,
      I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

It's a simple progression with a simple melody, easily a cooincidence. It does seem like the tempo and key match up amazingly well, though. However, it's also easy to do mashups of two songs and make them sound good together. Hell I don't know.
        Last edited by Axewielder; 12-06-2008, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          It's obvious Christina heard that in 1985, when she was 5 years old, and totally ripped you off! :ROTF:
          exactly. thats my point. :ROTF:

Comment

Actually some fat balding white dude wrote that song, you could still make a case!

Comment

Originally posted by åron View Post
              Actually some fat balding white dude wrote that song, you could still make a case!
              I hadn't noticed Satch had put on weight.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

In related news, the new Satriani model guitars will have a chip that senses when any of his songs are played on it, and alerts his lawyers to file an unauthorized performance lawsuit.
                Just a guitar player...

Comment

Yes, the progression is the same and the first three notes of the melody are the same. But, there are thousands of other songs that fall into the same category. Doesn't Satriani already have enough money? Should be interesting to see where this ends up.
                  Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

I'm with you Matt. I wonder if it is Satriani or his label pursuing this. Seems rather pathetic.

Now the dude accusing Gary Moore seems to have more of a case, if indeed that clip of his was recorded prior to Gary's Still Got the Blues. That just seems way too similar to be coincidence...

Comment

I'm no lawyer and don't know much about copyright infringement laws, but to me, songs with melody, cadence and vocals that are very similar, save for lyric content, could have enough substance for a copyright lawsuit.

Now that being said; I think the instrumental parts within a song are more open. Chord progressions, solos, etc, are not the exclusive property of the musician that plays the part. If that were the case, then all of them old blues players who did the old E-A-E-B-A-E chord structures would've died rich men. {Well, perhaps not!}

Similarly, a synth, sax or guitar solo that sound eerily similar wouldn't be regarded as any threat for copyright infringement.

Now, a strong instrumental that reaches chart topping success; for example.....

Mason Williams - Classical Gas:
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNtWK04xxog

Paul Mauriat - Love Is Blue:
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPq2H...eature=related

......would probably have a good chance at winning any infringement lawsuit. There's many other strong instrumentals that fall into this category. The other source of strong instrumentals that hold water are movie soundtracks anthems or themes; Hang 'Em High, The Rockford Files, The Gladiator and The Godfather to name a few.

I'm afraid M.O.R. in western culture, be it whatever genre, metal, country, dance, pop, is exactly that.; Middle Of the Road! There isn't anything new and groundbreaking on the charts and most often there rarely is. Same ol' drivel, different artists, that's all.

Songs based around the same chord progressions get pretty stale. There's bound to be some similarities.

Oh and by the way. I'm sure Coldplay, or a member or two of Coldplay, has heard and probably even appreciates the Satch. Just because their style of music is MOR pop/rock, doesn't mean they shut there ears down on the rest of the music industry.

If I'm not mistaken, I read a post in another thread of a couple of members in The Cardigans who are big Sabbath fans!

Hmmm.....I'm sorry if I went off topic. Kinda' jumped around, didn't I.
                      Cheers!
                      G.

Comment

Originally posted by GinSonic View Post
                        Those don't sound similar at all. :think:
                        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                          Those don't sound similar at all. :think:
                          No, Spivy. They don't. That they sounded similar wasn't the point of the posting links to those instrumental tunes. That they reached chart topping success was.

I guess it doesn't matter whether or not a song, be it instrumental or vocal, reaches chart topping status. However, it seems to me that if it does, the artist stands a better chance at winning any lawsuits against them.

Hmmm.......I thought my original post to be concise and lucid enough to put the point across.

I don't think Satch will win. It's not a strong enough case.
                          BTW, any updates on this?
                          G.

Comment

"Ray Parker Jr and I are sueing Satch for ripping off Workin For A Livin"
                            "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by GinSonic View Post
                              No, Spivy. They don't. That they sounded similar wasn't the point of the posting links to those instrumental tunes.
                              G.
                              On a slightly unrelated note ,I've had friends write passages of music that were almost identical to artists later submissions - I.E. (unfortunately no clip for comparison)but a friend had a riff and main progression for over a year ,then a new danzig album was released and it was nearly note for note !

Do I think danzig or his guitar player ripped him off - NO !However the guitar is a somewhat limited instrument (as are drums ,bass ,mandolin ,etc ....).So to sumerize what I'm trying to say is , sure there's a chance that coldfuck did intentionly rip off satch, however I'm inclined to believe that an extremely simmiliar coincidence happened , I'm nearly positive satch would not say that whiney ass bitch from coldplay sounds like his guitar !!!!Yes, there are strong simmilarities, if anything though, I believe this will give a liitle more exposure of Satch to the masses!

I'm not a fan of lawyers, and personally I'd like to believe Satch is not involved with this lawsuit.However the music business is just that (at thier level) a business, with fucktard lawyers !!!

Merry Christmass all
                              Jay
                              Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

For those that think it's a money grab for Satch, he is asking that the money from any damages goes to charity.
                                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                                X