True metal vs trends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
    Conception: Pretty sweet from what I've heard so far. Plus it's got Roy from Kamelot so that's a bonus.

Masterplan: Listened to them a little. Jorn's a beast.
    Ben, check out Ark. Tore Ostby from Conception on guitars, Jorn on vox, Randy Coven on bass. Really good shit.

Tarot: Only heard "Suffer Our Pleasures". Really high quality band.
    I RUUULLLLLEEEE! Check out the new live album/dvd. Fuckin' smokin'!!!
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by m2pmd70 View Post
      Wikipedia seems to agree with the history/definition of the term "metal" as I've always understood it.

I've never really understood the whole need to over-classify music and pigeonhole bands. The dizzying array of subgenres is ridiculous. If you like it listen to it. If not turn it off.

Metal: http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=0cF3_ZJhD-Q

Metal vs. non-metal: http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=4hy6sJEPCYM

lol
      What do you mean? You don't like Post-punk Emo Indy Rock?

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
        Ben, check out Ark. Tore Ostby from Conception on guitars, Jorn on vox, Randy Coven on bass. Really good shit.

I RUUULLLLLEEEE! Check out the new live album/dvd. Fuckin' smokin'!!!
        I'll have to check them out when I have some free time.

And yes, I Rule is amazing.
        "Dear Dr. Bill,
        I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Hated for reasons I cannot explain, these guys are just fun to listen to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjVtVQjvtiU

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
            Hated for reasons I cannot explain,
            I can:
            -they're famous because of a video game
            -All of their songs sound the same
            -they can't play live
            -the only thing in tune live is the keyboard
            -They don't have sweet Italian accents like the dudes they copied.

That reason enough?

Edit: I put them in the trend category.
            Last edited by Ben...; 09-22-2008, 10:16 PM.
            "Dear Dr. Bill,
            I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Eh, if you can listen to something like Fury of the Storm without air guitaring or feeling like riding into battle then I don't know what's wrong with you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2TbFMAMnss

Also worth noting is another British act, Power Quest, featuring 2 of the original DragonForce members.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIC5u9WxYqU

More cool power metal stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzzKc8VOajY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S53yvdLEQ0I

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
                Also, every form of music we listen to know evolved from something else, so to say Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, or Judas Priest wasn't metal isn't really correct is it? Though you can look back and say the first couple of albums are bluesy, or whatever, the fact is that for the time period that was some pretty heavy shit. You can't really look back with modern eyes and discount the old stuff. Sure it is classic rock now, but back then, it wasn't.
                Led Zeppelin were never metal.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                  Now Bill, don't make too much fun of me, but I do own one CD that will make you want to have sex with the tailpipe on a Suburban. Matter of fact, it was a gift from one of my son's friends. It's The Haunted - The Haunted Made Me Do It. I'm not sure how you would categorize this CD.
                  The Haunted... Swedish metal. They used to be called At The Gates, and they pretty much started the whole Swedish metal scene. The Haunted Made Me Do It was actually their second album, and it had a different vocalist (Marco Aro) than their first self-titled debut. The first vocalist was better (Peter Dolving), and after a couple albums, he came back. The Haunted rules!!!

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
                    Wouldn't bands like AC/DC and Motorhead be considered metal then? They have (or had) alot of attitude in their day.
                    Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                    See, that's why I add in the "focus on guitar and drum skills" to my definition of metal. Attitude can only take you so far.
                    Mikkey Dee from Motorhead (he's been in Motorhead since about 1995 I think) played with King Diamond on his first few albums, then he played on Don Dokken's solo album after Dokken first broke up. Mikkey has the skills and can probably out-play many drummers, even though Motorhead really aren't metal. You can even ask Motorhead... they'll tell you they're not metal. They're just a great, heavy rock band.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
                      Blind Guardian: Only got to listen to "And Then There was Silence" so far. Seems like metal to me.
                      Definitely metal.....their progression from album to album is amazing, talk shred all you want, to me, they are the best pure songwriters going today......

Other stuff I like -
                      Borknagar - up until that last one, Origin, 'da fuck was that?
                      Vintersorg
                      Old Man's Child
                      Susperia - because Predominance RULES!!!! after that, not so much.....
                      Witchery - I actually knocked the dust offa Restless and Dead today....been a while...
                      Deicide - took a long time for them to grow on me...
                      At The Gates
                      Dissection
                      Iced Earth

Stuff that could fall into the trendy category -
                      Scar Symmetry - OUTSTANDING!!!! I don't care if they're trendy or not, they're fuckin kickass......
                      Devildriver - just for Clouds Over California, what a badass tune.....
                      Lamb of God - Trendy or not?

Truthfully.....I love metal to my core, but when I'm looking for new bands I'm not looking for the fastest player, or the heaviest sound......I just wanna hear something DIFFERENT!!!! Play me something that I've never heard before, something that doesn't sound like anything else I've heard before either..My musical palette changes so often that eliminating bands based on what category they fall into just makes looking for new stuff that much harder, so I base my analysis on this, "If it makes me feel 10 feet tall and bulletproof, it's metal.".....I always tell the non-metal people around me, don't listen to what they're playing, listen to how they're playing it....It's all about the emotion to me.............
                      Last edited by outsider666; 09-22-2008, 11:12 PM.
                      I'm not into hell.........I just dig the soundtrack.........

Comment

Originally posted by outsider666 View Post
                        Lamb of God - Trendy or not?
                        No, not trendy... unless you consider their mix of riffs from Slayer, Testament and At The Gates trendy. They kick ass!

Comment

Originally posted by outsider666 View Post
                          Truthfully.....I love metal to my core, but when I'm looking for new bands I'm not looking for the fastest player, or the heaviest sound......I just wanna hear something DIFFERENT!!!! Play me something that I've never heard before, something that doesn't sound like anything else I've heard before either..My musical palette changes so often that eliminating bands based on what category they fall into just makes looking for new stuff that much harder, so I base my analysis on this, "If it makes me feel 10 feet tall and bulletproof, it's metal.".....I always tell the non-metal people around me, don't listen to what they're playing, listen to how they're playing it....It's all about the emotion to me.............
                          good post!

I feel the same way. I'm always looking for something new. It's nice to find out that one band is reminiscent of another because I can feel secure knowing that I'll probably like their album too when I pick it up. I'm still planning to buy Scariot's album since Bill told me they were about the best Nevermore-a-like going around.

But I'm always on the hunt for something else. There aren't too many bands whose entire catalog I own. I'll always ask myself if I really need a third (or fourth or fifth) cd from band "X" when I could be buying my first one from that other band over there.

oh, and good call on Scar Symmetry. Still need to get their new one too
                          Last edited by VitaminG; 09-22-2008, 11:27 PM.
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

LoG, KsE, Shadows Fall, etc. all fall under the "New stuff I don't like" category.

Probably because I don't like Slayer, Testament, or At The Gates!

Comment

Lamb of God are metal, they're also US trendy imo, that probably won't make sense to anyone

The whole zakk bikey look thing etc. like phil anselmo was doing years ago too. Thats metal though, but a trendy border of it. Flipside, sonic syndicate. The screamo border of trendy, though thats the other side, into not metal, even tho jonas from scar symmetry recorded it! Their first album was cool and new, but was on the edge, then it turned into a dark tranquility copy. From album 2 onwards, sadly, not metal.

I come from a more death/thrash/black perspective, love it heavy, fast, and constantly changing beats. Thats metal as fuck by the way, and what makes death metal.

I deem the following _not metal_

Black fingernails. White belts. Those stupid black hair cuts. Thinking ozzfest is cool. Thinking you are cool. Caring about appearance.

I deem the following _METAL_

Long hair. Jackson guitars! Not caring. Not caring about being metal. Nachos. Beer and nachos. Scandanavia. Swedish nachos.

fuck it, I'll be back gotta go get some nachos though. And I'll be blasting metal all the way!

Comment

WTF ...Well Hello JCF!!!!

You fuggers are kicking ass..look at this!! I'm proud of you. G great advice as always. You guys are getting serious, and that's NO BULLSHIT! Y'know, I've been listening to Dragonforce since I joined this forum. I'm amazed at their popularity because they are a style that Clevo-John and I been calling Dragon Humper metal for over 10 years. You should see the "dragon" section in my library..with all the bands with the prefix "Dragon"...its an entire shelf long! In a vast sea of bands like Rhapsody, Domine, Euroforce, Labyrinth, Celladoor, Sky Lark, Black Majesty, Thy Majesty, Dragonland, Fairyland, Freternia, Vision Divine, with the shreddin', double kickin', dragon slayin' galore..how in the fuck did the world tunnelvision on Dragonforce? They are one of thousands in this style. Maybe because they're from England and most of them are from Italy, Germany, Sweden..well Sweden's got Hammerfall...somehow people tunnelvisoned on them too. Hey, its all good..just really weird to me. I never thoght kids would like these bands in the age of baggy pants.

BTW..I do like Shadows fall, KSE, Trivium, but they're so hyped and overrated in the big pic..in the same way I mentioned with Dragonforce/Hammerfall. I must give Lamb of God credit..Love 'em , Hate 'em ..they helped spark this metal renaissance. I remember wanting to bring this "ATG" style to Cleveland with my band with John. There's nothing like it here and still isn't. Then comes LOG's "ATPB"..and that opened the fuggin' floodgates with At The Slayer riffs galore. when Korn Creed, System of a down, Rage against the machine and Kid Rock was "metal" (talk about bass player metal)..who knew. Did anyone hear guess this would happen ..especially during the ebonic plague. Remember when everything was fuggin' rap..from McDonalds..every fuggin' commercial to the local weatherman throwin' down freestyle..WTF was that all about???!! I mean WTF was that??? Kid Rock, Limp Dicklick, Tommy wigger Lee..and GEORGE FUGGIN' LYNCH..with his SMOKE THIS!!! WTF was that about??? Yeah, I got yer smoke this..hangin'..I should post that retarded shit. OK, I'm done with the ranting..got my blood preasure all up in here.

OK, you guys keep talking, I love rterading it!!! I'm going to try to find some stuff I think you'll dig. Unfortunately..there's alot of bands that don't have videos. But they play metal vids in other parts of the world..youtube make this world smaller..I'll go find some!!

TREND..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USriZAMR2nA

METAL..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKbX1...eature=related
                                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                                X