X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True metal vs trends

ATTENTION
    -------------------------------------------

TONIGHT- I will hold an in depth discussion about the ongoing misconception in c/w True Metal VS Trends. This is not a debate. I will NOT allow any disrespect, insults, or personal attacks. Anyone who can't keep it civil will be asked to leave. If this happens I will ask those to cease their actions. If they don't comply I will use fair and civil tactics that have been proven effective in the past. I understand that music is a personal choice, and subjective. But metal is the closest thing I have to a religion. It is a lifestyle that is kept alive and preserved by people like myself, and I'm not alone. We are the very reason why Metal will always exist no matter what is popular or unpopular.

When I joined this forum I was quickly established as one of the JCF's official "Metal guys". There was 4 threads started for me as my "home" to intially discuss metal. This became more of a hangout for like-minded friends just acting naturaly. Since then, I've received countless requests for metal recommendations. I think I've done my part and will continue to do so. This will be a perfect oppurtunity to possibly introduce future favorite metal bands, or confirm your love of existing ones. The topic of trends will be also discussed. I've had MANY prior debates with members that insisted NU/Rap "Metal" were true metal. Nothing I said seemed to matter but knew only time would prove. Again people are mislead by the mainstream that dictates what Metal is. A few years later, and here we are, misguided once again. How soon we forget! Let it be known that I do NOT have a problem with anyone that enjoys a certain band. But as a Metalhead in-the-know for over 30 years I will not accept any trend to be called Metal. Metal is the anti-trend. ALL trends have an expiration dates of 1 to 5 years. Metal is timeless and a lifestyle, my lifestyle. What bothers me most is the cookie cutter swill MTV/Mainstream continues to promote as metal. Which is absolutely embarrassing to me and gives metal a bad name. Finally, I want to set the record straight..and will thru MANY examples.

I started a similair thread years ago which I reviewed recently. I'm much better prepared...not that I wasn't before.

I should save this thread for the next trend that infests metal a few years from now. Maybe it was better when guitar didn't exist al all in the mainstream leaving metal/rock ignored, pure and unscathed while it evolved in the underground for decades..only for diehards to enjoy!

yours in metal,

Bill Z Bub
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Is this discussion going to be clothing optional?
    Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Well, we have to define true metal, because even Ozzy, Motorhead, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, '80s hair bands have been called metal, but they're NOT METAL.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Can I wear a Cape and Speedo to this discussion?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack The Riffer View Post
          Can I wear a Cape and Speedo to this discussion?
          Yes, as long as I can show my moobs.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It wouldn't be metal without the moobs!!!

Comment

I just disrobed and wearing my stretched out crotchless tighties.. Troy just posted stuff I was going to post for him. Wow, talking about like minds. Troy gave me a little backround what he digs..I was going to post Deam Evil's United cd..but he went earlier..oops..Fire Battle in Metal..yep, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout..great song!! THAT'S METAL!!

Did you know Gus G left Dream Evil because the band was kind of tongue in cheek with stuff like Heavy Metal Jesus..so he left. So what did they do, they got serious and got another shredder!! That's OK Gus is doing fine with Firewind and Mystic Prophesy. He was in Arch Enemy for a bit but it didn't quite work out for him. I liked his work in Nightrage with At The Gates Thon Linberg..but he left that too. I saw Firewind with Into Eternity and Edguy..I met Ace there..he was roadie-ing. Ace is a good man..he was workin' his ass off. I got to hand out with him on the Hammerfall/Edguy/Into Eternity show too..it was nice! THAT'S METAL!!!

Guys did you hear JCF bro's Gryphoguitars "Silent Call" cd yet..Damn its good!!! I can't believe I found a copy at Half Price books today!! Goran Edman sings on a song..and our dude can shred..quality prog tinged, hard edged AOR, melodic agressive metal..with awesome vocals..THAT'S METAL!!

Well guys..my kid is over his freind's house..my wife wants to do it..I'll be back in 30 seconds.

No, I gotta do some things..Joe..guys..make sure everyone behaves..I'll be back!

Troy you got the right idea..youtube man..go nuts. That's what I'm doin' when I come back!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

testament only metal thing going always have always will
                  Last edited by gotwtt; 09-22-2008, 04:34 PM.
                  "Oh please, please dress as my sexy dead wife!" -

Comment

Originally posted by shobet View Post
                    Gotta love the Pigeonhole Principle!

Comment

I saw this thread title and thought "YES!!!!!!"

Edit: So I read your home thread, Bill. This is the recommendation thread where we tell people what's what and all that. Alright! Count me in!
                      Last edited by Ben...; 09-22-2008, 04:53 PM.
                      "Dear Dr. Bill,
                      I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Is black metal true metal? Its been around for almost a couple decades now and has been connected to pagans, satanists, and the burning of churches which IMO is about as metal as it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          Well, we have to define true metal, because even Ozzy, Motorhead, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, '80s hair bands have been called metal, but they're NOT METAL.
                          Ozzy and Lemmy are *not* metal? Now educate me.

Trying to define a popular music genre (yes, metal is popular music) in rational, muso terms can be a tricky thing, because many genre divisons often have their origin in extra-musical sociological phenomena like marketing strategies (top-down) or the fan bases trying to set themselves apart from each other (bottom-up). Or can anyone state the significant musical difference (choice of tempi, harmonic progressions, counterpoint, melody, instrumentation) between Iron Maiden and Manowar? I have learned that one is metal, the other a joke.

In musical terms, Motorhead is just Chuck Berry speed up and played at higher volume. Which is not a bad thing at all, but I experience the difference between them as something more profound than the chosen tone of their amp.

The most reliable criteria I have seen so far is sociological: Metal is pure white working class, Rock is middle class. Hence, Ozzy and Motorhead are metal.

Comment

Originally posted by gotwtt View Post
                            testament only metal thing going always have always will
                            "Only"..No..one of many..yes...they do kick ass.

That's right Ben this is the thread..It should be a fuggin' sticky. Because the JCF metal boss has the wheel of this one.

Why am I here..the wife..eh...she's just got outta the tub!

Bye!

Comment

Working...
                            X