True metal vs trends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm floatin' yo... peace motherfuckers
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

• Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
      I love wikipedia - I just found out there's something called "groove metal."

Now - is groove metal metal or should I stop listening to Pantera?
      Contrary to belief there are some that believe there was an 11th commandment but Moses was just so pissed he didn't pick up.

#11 Thou shalt listen to pantera!

I wouldn't take any chances, I would put some in Now!

Comment

• I listened to the "As we speak" again and now I'm going to have to go for a walk in hopes that some small dog will try to attack me so I can kick it.

Yo' peace out!

Comment

• Originally posted by horns666 View Post
          With all due respect..Human Remains will turn most people here completely off. This is the antithesis what I'm attempting to showcase at this time. I hate brutality for the sake of it. I require musical value and cohesion with outstanding musicianship, vocals, production and songcraft. My standards of quality METAL would NOT include bands such as Human Remains...for the obvious reasons.

But I'm aim to please..for you..enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg8kaBdcHF8

With metal like this I can see why people can't tell the difference between quality metal and core trends. As a muscian honing my tone, skills, and writing for 30+ years.. I can't find one redeeming musical value with bands like this..

AGAIN, I intend to expose metal accessabile to the average member here, not just to indulge in my selfish personal taste.

Thank you,

Bill Z
          Thanks for posting that. I couldn't really find anything. I was hoping for something live but that's cool.

Bill, I'm surprised you don't like this band. They have sick riffs! Plus they use the volume knob on their 7 strings like most people use a toggle switch. I would say there were a pretty progressive band for the late 80s/early 90s. Anyway, that's just me.

Oh and as far as this being OT from the thread that's my fault because I didn't read the whole thing. It's like 13 pages or something!

Comment

• Good thing I'm not really religious so I don't have to follow the 11th commandment. No offense to anyone, I just don't like them anymore.
            "Dear Dr. Bill,
            I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

• Originally posted by phill_up View Post
              European Football? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnhdJVh9iIY
              "Dear Dr. Bill,
              I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

• Ben...! That's Soccer!

Comment

• I know!
                  "Dear Dr. Bill,

Comment

• I was on that ride too horns, I jumped on colony when it came out, then hit the rest of the scene up for all it was worth. I actually prefer Steelbath Suicide to chainheart, and here is where everything comes together, because it has some killer hardcore moments in it. My sis was in a local HC band, the best around. They had two female guitarists, two singers (including one of the best frontmen of any genre) and absolutely killed. I was/am/will be a total metalhead, but was involved somewhat in that scene for quite a few years. I told my sis to tune down a step, that made them so much heavier then anyone else. Jacksons instead of SG's. I could see the awesome of hardcore, but felt it had nowhere to go. So people started adding 'metallic' riffs. That was what they were called, there is where it starts. 3 years ago I went to a show that her b/f's band played at (they were a completely diff genre), which was the same 'scene'. Not one piece of identity there. All shitty black haircuts, tight jeans, white belts, makeup, fingernail polish, a fucking piss poor attempt at what was once a really kickass scene. And they were doing really piss poor attempts at metal.

My sis could see the awesomeness in metal aswell, obviously, and seen in flames on there clayman tour with lacuna coil (a who? band for most at the time) and dimmu borgir, and some band called 'nevermore' when she was living in london. Just as much to go for me as enjoy it herself. I have the clayman tour long sleeve to prove it That was the gothenburg final assault I believe, before IF started dropping the ball bit by bit. Come Clarity almost made it back to good, but that last one I couldnt get 4 songs in.

Soilwork meanwhile, well predators portrait was an absolute nuke of an album. It for me culminated the melodeath sound with the synths I was playing with at the time. Major, major influence. Along with devin funnily enough, so natural born chaos was like a gift from god, if not a little weird. Classic for me now though, listened to it the other day, alot more to it then you remember. Then they started slipping down the slidey pole of less metal I guess, and heres where I'm going out on a limb. With sworn being so good inspite of lack of guitar skill, theres some stuff in there that will inspire alot of bands. Especially the timing on sick heart river, track 10. I've seen this stuff before, but it was never done as good. Kinda like that whole Nevermore thing...

This is why I can see a clear cut difference between 'metal' and 'core'. It's also why I feel I can say to people what is what. I cannot live this stuff blindly, I see it, and I'll call it out.

Actually, the melbourne extreme metal and hardcore scenes were very different for some reason, there was a fucking killer group that would come up here every now and then that was total grindcore/technical deathmetal. I fucking loved them, and wondered why they were on the hardcore tours whilst some others like damaged were strictly metal. I'll remember there name soon

My reasoning; they're all lumped in the 'seldom bathe' category
                    Last edited by bibz; 10-03-2008, 01:26 AM.

Comment

• great thread Bill I am enjoying all this new to me stuff
                      “The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is winning an argument with a liberal”

Comment

• Wintersun is pretty cool. I've added them to my list of bands to check out.

Here are the others in case anyone's interested. These all came from Pandora when typing in Symphony X.

Ensiferum
                        Kalmah
                        Angra
                        Kiuas
                        Wintersun
                        Twilightning
                        Blotted Science
                        Savage Circus
                        Alogia
                        Steel Attack
                        Black Majesty
                        Scott

Comment

• Okay where the hell did Horns go?
                          What happened to bengal?

Comment

• Originally posted by phill_up View Post
                            Okay where the hell did Horns go?
                            What happened to bengal?

I'm here..just woke up!!

Man, sorry for my absence..My kid's school is fuggin' NUTS with the homework!!! He goes to this little rich catholic school in the city..and they fuck my ass with homework sent forth by god himself!! he's a vengeful and powerful god..and it hurts!

By the time I'm done helping him..and he goes to bed at 11:00PM. I pack a bowl..put on something metal while eating doritos, cookies, ice cream, maybe a hotdog or two and I pass the fuck out! Sometimes I feel like jerkin' the gerkin' but I'm too tired. You know you're tired if you don't have the strength to beat the bishop!

I'm being pulled away again..my wife wants me to go grocery shopping with her. She wants me to show her how to save money..Bill Z Bub style!!! I will go and she will be my student. I will talk and she will listen. She will NOT talk while I talk. In fact she will wear a Berka that I made out of a XXL Slayer T shirt..it fits perfect!

Keep on with the metal suggestions..you dicks. I'll be back!..I hope!
                            Last edited by horns666; 10-03-2008, 11:07 AM.
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

• You cant just leave us like that! We are 12 pages deep! You are doing this on purpose because of what was said about Soilwork!

Comment

• ..I like you Phil.

No, I'm not avoiding this thread because Soiwork wimp out on ocaassions. But even when they did..they were the prototype for other "core" bands to achieve greater gayness...so for that I say fuck you Soilwork, for they know not what they do. Much like Anthrax did with "bring the noise" in the 80's..they helped create a genre that killed them..Rap "metal"

SW had one halfgay album "Stabbing the drama" That vid you posted was from that release ..Hell even The haunted followed suite..it was like an epidemic of gayness. Now, everyone went back to what they do best and write great metal. I love "Sworn to the great divide"..that album grows on you like mold..I love it!

But yoi can't judge a band's body of work by one pussysong. Alot metal bands wrote at least one pussysong. ie., I LOVE Nevermore's 2000 attempt at a radio with "Believe in nothing" but that would be considered a pussysong in their entire body of work, but its still a great song that would be a hit on the radio today IMO!
                                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                                X