Slayer vs. Pantera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
    Tetsuo: Well, they feel like apples vs oranges to me at least. Granted, they are categorized into the same sub-genre - but I really think both bands' music defy categorization (aside from just "heavy metal"). Both bands have very different approaches to music, and they sound drastically different from one another. Pantera always appealed more to the masses, while Slayer was a "niche" band. That draws a nice parallell to your "Warrant vs Venom" example.
    I can see that arguement to an extent, there is no doubt that slayer was more niche but in the big world of music they are still somewhat close. Albiet not as close as say MEgadeth and MEtallica or Sepultura and Soulfly but comparable I would think at least. I do agree with your point though.
    I keep the bible in a pool of blood
    So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

I guess Pantera is the winner.

Sad day indeed.

Thanks everyone for their vote. It's an interesting question.
      I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

I didn't vote because ..well, I just can't.

They're both very valube metal bands IMO..and I love 'em both.

Y'know you could make a couple cool bands if you mixed those camps..sad to say the main ingredient of one camp is gone.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
          Reign In Blood sucked. Slayer sucks. Kerry King's tone is terrible - it's even worse than Randy's.

No contest. Pantera crushes Slayer.
          Why is Randy involved in this?
          I've read so many say his tone sucks, i've kept my mouth shut, but Fuck That,
          I Love his Tone, i can't say enough great things about it, and till i came here, i never heard a anyone say his tone sucked, lol, in fact that is largly what is so kick ass about those albums, the GUITAR SOUND, it's personaly the holy grail of guitar sound to me, it's almost orgasmic, i remember once i was listening to Blizzard out camping, and i swear i had an out of body experience just vibing on his guitar sound - also your opinion on Slayer has been noted quite a few times, i get that you don't like them, but any single song on Reign in Blood owns you, sorry

Comment

i wonder if a members age has anything to do with this. i'm from the old school so it slayer all the way. pantera was great, cant take nothin away from dime, but like another member said i can listen to RIB and SOH all the way thru!! of course RIB is only like 30 mins. slayers solos may suck, but theres alot more to brutal music than flashy bartricks!!!

Comment

Slayer has been in my top 3 bands since high school, hell I remember when Hell Awaits came out

Slayer ftw but Dime had them smoked in the solo dept by far..

seems like Kerry didn't get better in the solo dept. the more he played..
              USA Doublerhoads Custom Shop
              USA King V Custom Shop X Series

Comment

Originally posted by Jason1212 View Post
                I may get lynched being from TX but I am going with Slayer. I can listen to RIB, SOH, and SITA with out skipping songs. I cant say the same for CFH, VDOP, or FBD. Now if it were a question of guitar skills I would same Dime hands down.
                +1, except I'm not from texas.
                |My CSG gallery|
                (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Originally posted by RD View Post
                  Slayer has been in my top 3 bands since high school, hell I remember when Hell Awaits came out

Slayer ftw but Dime had them smoked in the solo dept by far..

seems like Kerry didn't get better in the solo dept. the more he played..

Yes, you got all that right.
                  Pantera didnt write great songs, Slayer did. Pantera (Dime) wrote great solos, Slayer didnt.

Take your pick, great song, or great solo.
                  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Tough one... pretty close, but Pantera gets my vote, because the best of Pantera is better imo than the best of Slayer, but both band are very good.

Comment

If unit sales have a bearing, Miley Cyrus kicks both their asses....

Otherwise, I choose the band that is still together. Slayer sucks in some ways, but they are awesome nonetheless. See them live and be saved... Even as 50 years old, haha...

I've seen Pantera live (when they were young and fiery), and they blew, absolutely terrible. And, I liked Pantera a lot.

Comment

Slayyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! whenever i see a shitty band i like to get drunk and just start screaming slayer every time there's a quiet moment. That being said, this is a close one for sure. when it comes down to it, there were a couple pantera albums that have definitely been an important part of my life, but reign in blood actually changed my life, so i have to go with slayer.

Comment

Working...
                        X