Clear All

Doesn't GM own Isuzu?
    Scott

Comment

Look for

Honda Civic
      Honda Accord
      Toyota Camry
      Hyundai Elantra From 1998 to the present Hyundai's are very reliable cars. Trust me one this. They still have somewhat of a stigma so they're resale prices aren't up where the Honda's and Toyota's are for the same amount of car.

Since you're location says LI, NY I looked on autotrader with a random zip from Long Island and searched a 100 mile radius with a $3500 cap. There were plenty of cars that looked pretty damn good and had average mileage. You'll be pretty lucky to find anything with under 125K on the odometer.

As someone stated above. MAINTENANCE IS THE KEY....... I can't stress that enough. Change the oil & filter, fuel filter, plugs, air filter, PCV valve when it's time and the car should easily last you 6 years or more. However, if you're like a few friends I have that just put gas in the car and do nothing else..... you stand a good chance of killing a decent car wayyy before 6 years.

One more thing. Ask about when the timing belt was last changed. Or, just include the cost of a new timing belt, and possibly a water pump and tensioner, into the the final amount you want to spend on the car. Quite a few people decide not to replce the belt at the proper interval if they know they'll be selling the car soon. And the water pump is run off the timing belt so replacing it while the belt is already out id just a given these days.
      Last edited by AdRock; 06-21-2008, 01:50 PM.
      My Toys:
      '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
      '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
      '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
      '94 Dinky HX in Black
      '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Originally posted by Norton View Post
        Why do you want an automatic transmission? Or is it that, noone in the USA can drive manual( manuel ) transmissions ? Automatic transmissioned cars consume more fuel.
        Many Americans (like me) prefer manual transmissions.

Comment

I have a manual in my Trans Am GTA. I had a manual in my Saturn. Manuals are just plain fun if you are driving the open roads.

My Acura has an auto because the wife can't drive a stick. It would have been manual if I had a choice.

Also, if you are stuck driving in traffic all of the time, a manual gets old real fast.

Comment

A lot of cars now have semi-auto transmission that can be operated as a manual with an automatic clutch or a normal automatic.

Comment

Buy a Jaguar, you will never be happier.
              If petrol goes up any more here in the UK, there will be loads of them on the market well within your price range, but only if the tank is empty!!

Anyhow, I haven't a clue what models and prices are where you are, so can't advise you, but will back up what has been said over and over - factor in the price of maintenance. You don't need to be looking for an oil filter that is a Japanese only special import that went out of production in 1990.
              Think about the price of insurance, gas consumption and practicality. Don't buy something that you think will be a pussy magnet with the addition of a couple of furry dice and go-faster stripes. It won't, it will be a money pit.

Give a thought to re-sale values too. A brown Skoda will be cheap as chips but you are going to have to run it into the ground - there won't be a third fool in the same area stupid enough to buy it! (You and the previous owner will be in an exclusive club)

6 years is a loooong time to keep a car - you might think you will have no money looking ahead now, but when you have to get into your POS, you will be willing to sell your granny to upgrade. Or maybe, just maybe, get a part-time job! (Trust me, that reliable thing you are sure will last you for 6 years will be like a testicle tumour after oooh, about 3 years, you will despise it and do anything to wave it goodbye. I was young once, I was sensible at first. Then, when my cock woke up and wanted exercise, I wanted a fucking Ferrari to pull women in. I didn't get one, but my shit brown Renault used to make me think virginity was going to be my fate forever and made my heart sink. I had to work to get something better, and four years later, there were soooo many better cars about than that Renault!!)

Finally, take a knowledgeable mate with you when you go to look at cars, or your Dad. They may spot something you miss, even if you think you are pretty sharp. Don't rush into anything, go and look at loads of cars, kick lots of tyres, trust your head, not your cock! Drive lots, if there's any niggling doubts, walk away. As with anything else, in fact more so with cars, there is ALWAYS another deal just around the corner - you are never going to miss the Bargain of the Century. Spend wisely.

Oh, and if you drive like a twat, stay away from the UK, there's only room enough for one of us like that!!
              So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Buy a used bicycle and two guitars from my collection. Problem solved.
                "POOP"

Comment

This is what you need! Just think, it'll probably last more than 6 years and take you all the way into retirement!
                  "POOP"

Comment

and it still wouldn't have made it down the shops and back

Comment

Working...
                    X