looking for my first car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for my first car

I need a car. My buget is anything from $2000-3000. I want a car, automatic, and it can't be a piece of s*%$. It needs to last me around 6 years as I won't have any extra money till I graduate. Any suggestions on what model cars I should look for used? How many miles should it have? ebay and craigslist links would be appreciated(just to look at, I'm not planning to buy till late summer unless I find an amazing deal). Thanks for the help
    -Sean
    Jackson KV2T Black Ghost Flames with EMG's

Reliability on a budget? Toyota and Honda for sure. Hyundai aren't bad, but they had pretty bad interiors and could be hit or miss.

Comment

Originally posted by RD
      96 and newer honda civic.

Maintenece is the key Sean!

end of thread...
      I looked up some 97's to see what they go for, seems like the green ones go for $2200 and the black ones go for $4000......dam those green ones are ugly

My friend has one and it isn't bad but its AC is broken. Is that common for them?
      Jackson KV2T Black Ghost Flames with EMG's

Comment

u could go with a chevy prism and save a few bucks intead of getting a toyota corrolla. toyota made them for chevy in a joint venture. same engine / trans / underpinnings... etc as a corrolla for about $700 bucks less...

Comment

C'mon, get a frickin old Camaro, dude!

Comment

+1 on the honda/toyota thing
            can't go wrong
            fixes are fixed and stay fixed when they happen
            as safe a dollar as you can spend on a vehicle
            good luck brother
            "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
            --floydkramer

Comment

$3000 car lasting 6 years? You'd have your best chance with a Toyota/Honda or a newer Hyundai. But I'd keep some money saved up as maintenance costs only go up the more miles the car has.
              Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird V View Post
                u could go with a chevy prism and save a few bucks intead of getting a toyota corrolla. toyota made them for chevy in a joint venture. same engine / trans / underpinnings... etc as a corrolla for about $700 bucks less...
                Wrong... made by Suzuki, as were all the Geo cars.

Comment

Wrong again. Prisms were toyota cars. That and Storms were Isuzus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geo_Prizm
                  Last edited by Jason1212; 06-21-2008, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Why do you want an automatic transmission? Or is it that, noone in the USA can drive manual( manuel ) transmissions ? Automatic transmissioned cars consume more fuel.
                    I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

97-99 Saturn SL2 is what you are talking with that budget.

I bought a fully loaded (leather , sunroof, 4 wheel disk) 1997 Saturn with 147K miles in April 2005 for $2350. It was up to 202K when I killed it in a head-on collision last year. I think it could have kept on going. It did eat a quart of oil every 1.5K miles as do all Saturns prior to 2001? (ring problem). I think the extra oil slipping past the rings helped keep things lub'd up and made it last so long.

It also still got 38MPG with 202K miles.

Don't get an SL1 - head gasket issues.

The reason I bought mine is that the owner had all of the paperwork from every time it went into the dealership. I could tell that the car was well maintained.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        97-99 Saturn SL2 is what you are talking with that budget.

I bought a fully loaded (leather , sunroof, 4 wheel disk) 1997 Saturn with 147K miles in April 2005 for $2350. It was up to 202K when I killed it in a head-on collision last year. I think it could have kept on going. It did eat a quart of oil every 1.5K miles as do all Saturns prior to 2001? (ring problem). I think the extra oil slipping past the rings helped keep things lub'd up and made it last so long.

It also still got 38MPG with 202K miles.

Don't get an SL1 - head gasket issues.

The reason I bought mine is that the owner had all of the paperwork from every time it went into the dealership. I could tell that the car was well maintained.

I thought the Saturn was discontinued after 92-93.

He can get a Nebula instead

Comment

Originally posted by RD
                          96 and newer honda civic.

Maintenece is the key Sean!

end of thread...
                          You took the words out of my mouth.

When I wanted my first car, I wanted some huge raised truck.. I ended up getting a chevy s10 (thank god).. That sucker gets 12 miles to the gallon and gas is $4.75 pg here..

Civics...Own.
                          Originally posted by horns666
                          The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksons Shred View Post
                            You took the words out of my mouth.

When I wanted my first car, I wanted some huge raised truck.. I ended up getting a chevy s10 (thank god).. That sucker gets 12 miles to the gallon and gas is $4.75 pg here..

Civics...Own.

We have two of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason1212 View Post
                              Wrong again. Prisms were toyota cars. That and Storms were Isuzus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geo_Prizm
                              Odd. The Geo Metro was the Suzuki Cultus/Swift. The Tracter was the Grand Vitara. How many different deals with Japanese companies did Geo have their hands in? No wonder it isn't around around That said, I think the same parent company used to own a big chunk of Suzuki and Isuzu (and Subaru too IIRC), who then sold most of their shares in both to GM. Now they own just Subaru.

Comment

Working...
                              X