Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

McCain against expanding GI Bill benefits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post

"Ancestral claim" or not, Palestine was torn if half by the UN, not by the Palestinians. Jerusalem is important to the Muslims too, if I'm remembering my world religions class correctly.

I'm half Scottish. If I got a group of similar people together, would the U.N. give us Glasgow so we could have our own country?

Jerusalem is NOT important to the muslims. Its not a religious city at all to them. They want it so they can rub the jewish peoples noses in it. They put that mosque on th temple to mock the jewish people. They put a graveyard outside the eastern gate because the jewish peoples scriptures say their messiah will enter thru that gate. The muslims do what they do to the jews because their koran say jews are pigs and should die. Isreal wants to build there nation and live in peace but the muslims want isreal to be destroyed and never forget that fact!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by yard dawg View Post
      The US should stop asking isreal to use restraint. I say let Isreal kick butt again.
      I totally agree with you here. We need to cut off our support and let them do their thing.
      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by yard dawg View Post
        Jerusalem is NOT important to the muslims. Its not a religious city at all to them. They want it so they can rub the jewish peoples noses in it. They put that mosque on th temple to mock the jewish people. They put a graveyard outside the eastern gate because the jewish peoples scriptures say their messiah will enter thru that gate. The muslims do what they do to the jews because their koran say jews are pigs and should die. Isreal wants to build there nation and live in peace but the muslims want isreal to be destroyed and never forget that fact!!!!
        I looked it up and Jerusalem is the site of the third most important mosque.

Islam teaches that Judaism and Christianity corrupted God's word and that Islam is the correct one. Is this any different from Christianity's view of Judaism?

You obviously have some pretty serious prejudice for muslims, so having any sort of logical argument here is pointless.
        Scott

Comment

I have no issue with any of them... I think organized religion is a farce.
          Every religion teaches that all other religions are essentially crap.
          Yes, Islam has some holy sites in Jerusalem, but they were created AFTER they defeated the Jews.

As for Israel, the UN should have stayed out of it.
          The Jews would have kicked ass regardless and didn't really care if the UN was going to "give them land" that was rightfully theirs in the first place.
          Hence the 1967 war.

Now back on topic...
          I still stand by my original assessment.
          I firmly believe in a sliding scale when it comes to benefits.
          Short timers should not get full rides. Just like everyone else in this world, you have to earn it and build up your benefits.

VACharvel stated this very well. The GI bill was never meant to be a free ride after service. It was meant to HELP with post service education costs. It was not meant to pay for your school AND your other bills while you attended classes.

My father earned his BA while serving in the Navy... didn't cost him any $$$ at all.
          Just 30 years of dedicated service.
          -Rick

Comment

Forget what the muslims have done to the jews. What about the Catholics? Their "treatment" of the jews is just as bad if not worse. So if you want to throw stones, throw them in the right place.

We need to remove all support of Israel and let the winner take all. That's how I see it. We have no reason to support Israel at all, save for some misplaced guilt maybe.

As for military benifits? Meh, let the government figure it out. If people don't like it, they don't have to inlist, I guess. A pretty basic way to look at it, I suppose. But things need to be cut to ballence whatever budget we have. The military has to take some cutbacks as well. They already have, I know.

EDIT: My comments on military benifits looks a bit harsh. I don't mean it to be. But I feel we are in such poor shape that cuts are going to need to be made, and taxes raised. So stuff like the GI Bill I'm sure will get cut. Along with civil services all over the country. Lots of belt tightening going to be going on.

If we could end the war in Iraq, we might be able to do stuff like that.
            Last edited by Bengal; 05-30-2008, 01:48 PM.
            I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Slightly off topic (which I guess doesn't matter anymore), but what surprised the hell out of me was all the people that turned down th GI Bill when I enlisted. They thought it was better to have that extra 1200 (and blow it on dumb shit) their first year in, rather than invest it in the GI Bill. Same people who were too cheap to pay the 20 bucks a month for a 400k life insurance plan.
              There is already talk going on to totally change our pay. Estimating how our benefits could be taken away and added into our salary, meaning no free medical, commissary savings, housing money, etc., just more pay and you use it as needed. Sounds like a clusterfuck in the works.
              EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

Originally posted by VACharvel View Post
                OK..you automatically assume I haven't served??
                Your automatic assumption was that I hadn't, that I was criticizing the troops without any firsthand knowledge. Which is dead wrong.

the service was my reward for my time spent....
                So you're saying you weren't paid, then? Blow me.

Been there done that for the combat thing....don't like to remember, can't forget unfortunately.....I seen my friends die....did some horrible things....but I wouldn't change it for anything.
                You wouldn't change the "horrible things" you committed on others? Or even the DEATH of your own friends? And you're calling *ME* a douche?? I say again: FUCK YOU.

I can honestly say that the people I served with are some of the finest people I've had the pleasure to call friend.....great people with ideals, honor, courage, and pride.
                I can honestly say that most of the people I served with were a bunch of evolutionary throwbacks. Besides being alcoholics. And interviews I've seen on TV with current service members only further what I believed when I was in: that testosterone count is an adequate IQ substitute for IQ points. Losers that hung around long enough to retire enlisted were just piggies suckling on the military teat.
                please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

You are just so literate, I'm impressed with what the GI Bill paid for, truly...bravo...you've just reached a new level of being a dickhead on the evolutionary scale. You're awesome!!

Yes, I was paid for my time, but that wasn't the reason I stayed in...trust me...I stayed in because I loved it, had great friends some of which are still friends to this day.

Sure, there are things I wish I could go back and change..but I can't...so I either deal with it or become destroyed by it...it's pretty simple. I don't drink nor do drugs, so that isn't my "out"...I have PTSD yes...but life goes on...

You're an embarrasment to every person who ever wore the uniform dude..thank God you got out also so your malignant cancer couldn't spread to the rest of the Army.

Comment

"all I need is another Pyle!"
                    "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by necrotechno View Post
                      Losers that hung around long enough to retire enlisted were just piggies suckling on the military teat.
                      Well, I can honestly say that it is really sad that you had such a negative experience during your service. I do disagree with your statement about retired enlisted though.

Hell, if there were not any enlisted that made the military a career, there wouldnt be anyone to get things done.

Being retired enlisted myself I do find your post offensive, but hey, its a free country and you are entitled to your opinion.
                      Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

Yes, I was paid for my time, but that wasn't the reason I stayed in...trust me...I stayed in because I loved it, had great friends some of which are still friends to this day.
                        Yeah, ducking out and taking a nap in the middle of the day is awesome. Can't do that in any other job.

thank God you got out also so your malignant cancer couldn't spread to the rest of the Army.
                        With the constant reports of our military personnel randomly slaughtering innocent Iraqis, looks like they already had their own malignant cancer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripley7t View Post
                          Well, I can honestly say that it is really sad that you had such a negative experience during your service. I do disagree with your statement about retired enlisted though.

Hell, if there were not any enlisted that made the military a career, there wouldnt be anyone to get things done.

Being retired enlisted myself I do find your post offensive, but hey, its a free country and you are entitled to your opinion.
                          If people were only drafed for periods of 2-5 years, and were mostly very young people, we'd get more done. Plus, the overall taxpayer cost of the military would go down.

I knew many E-7 promotables, E-8's and a few E-9's. Swell guys, the lot of them. But there aren't enough synonyms for the word "lazy" to adquately describe them.

Comment

I worked my ass off...I was responsible for a LOT of people and reported directly to a Regimental Commander and Commanding General for my job, I didn't have time to be lazy.

I earned my money thank you, and I earned my retirement, it wasn't given to me.

You have some serious issues dude...I don't know what unit(s) you worked with, or where you were at, but apparently you had poor leadership, that's a shame..

Your analogy of having shorter periods of time doesn't stack up...the military NEEDS to keep people in for the simple fact that for every kid that get's out at the 4-6 year mark, it takes that long to train another to replace him/her.

Leadership is a learned trait....it comes from education and practical application on a day to day basis. Are there some shitty "leaders" in positions of authority..you bet, but they usually are eaten by the very system they serve eventually...the military is unforgiving at times..as it should be.

I'm done with you. I have not the time or desire to debate with a mental pygmy on a open forum the merits of military service and the benefits thereunto. It's a free country...paid for by the blood and sacrifice of men and women who actually believed in a higher ideal than you apparently subscribe to...thak whatever God you happen to believe in that they serve.

Comment

You worked for the CG? I knew a bunch of guys like you. I worked at batallion level and had to interface with those jokers all the time. They were pretty easy to spot with their shiny boots and perfectly pressed uniforms. Yeah, fetching the CG's coffee is hard work.

Comment

Reported to, not worked for/with...

You are such a tool....good riddance you embarrasment.

Comment

Working...
                                X