No announcement yet.

Gin Lovers: List your faves!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't like gin at all for a long time... I guess I was 33 or so when I was invited over to my bosses house for a pool party with the family.
    Wicked hot day... in the sun, he whipped up a gin and tonic that I actually thought was refreshing.
    It's been one of my favorite summer drinks ever since.
    Funny how your taste can flip flop on things like that.
    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Comment

Bombay Sapphire is good stuff which I drink regularly, but my fave is Sarticious. I think it's somewhat of a local variety. Really nice stuff -- try it if you can find it.

Comment

I was a big fan of the Malacca myself. There was a time when I'd go in every liquor store I passed, just to see if they had any spare bottles leftover on their shelves.

Sapphire's my go-to gin currently. And I kinda like the Hendrick's every now and again, too. Made with cucumbers...kinda different. But good.

Comment

Bombay Sapphire.
          Is a true martini only made with gin?
          No honey, I have always had this Jackson....

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
            If you order a screwdriver or Jack and Coke, then one of our buddies would inevitably snag it when your back was turned (hitting on a girl, dancing, etc.) - nobody ever stole my gin and tonics
            :ROTF: Back in the early '70s, my best friend's brother was stationed in Germany. He said that on Friday nights, they'd go down to the local tavern and get all liquored up. Ed said that he noticed that everytime he'd get up and go to the bathroom, he'd come back to a half empty beer mug. Finally, Ed decided on a solution. He ordered a new beer, took one sip, then unzipped his pants and stuck his pecker in the beer. Problem solved.
            "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al View Post
              Bombay Sapphire.
              Is a true martini only made with gin?
              IMO yes. A standard Martini is Gin and Vermouth with an olive or two. The less Vermouth, the more "dry" the martini. The more Vermouth, the more "wet". Vermouth by itself tastes like garbage water. Seriously, you know when you have a leak in a garbage bag, and there's some disgusting unknown liquid that seeps out? That smells like how vermouth tastes.
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

gordons for me
                Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

I'm with you Zeegs. My perfect martini is 2 large shots of good quality gin, a capful of vermouth at most, and shaken with plenty of ice. Strain into a glass and add a couple o' olives, and it's good to go!

Comment

Something I've recently had for the first time, but have become a quick fanboy for is blue-cheese-stuffed jumbo olives.

Not sure how they mix with a real martini, but they work well with a vodka martini (arguably the more popular martini for a few years now... if you care about being popular... I don't LOL).

(Bonus-off topic tip of the moment: EFFEN is some Effen good vodka!!!)
                    "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                    --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                      IMO yes. A standard Martini is Gin and Vermouth with an olive or two. The less Vermouth, the more "dry" the martini. The more Vermouth, the more "wet". Vermouth by itself tastes like garbage water. Seriously, you know when you have a leak in a garbage bag, and there's some disgusting unknown liquid that seeps out? That smells like how vermouth tastes.
                      My ideal martini:
                      Pour a dash of vermouth into the martini glass and swirl. Pour the vermouth out, only leaving a slight coating in the glass. Bombay quickly shaken with ice and strained/poured in glass. Olive optional.
                      I hate all these girly drinks that are called martini's. Just because it is poured in a martini glass, does not make it a martini.
                      No honey, I have always had this Jackson....

Comment

Junipero is very good
                        "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                          I'm with you Zeegs. My perfect martini is 2 large shots of good quality gin, a capful of vermouth at most, and shaken with plenty of ice. Strain into a glass and add a couple o' olives, and it's good to go!

I like olives, but I always prefer the little cocktail onions in mine, which makes it a Gibson.

Ever heard of a Churchill Martini? Apparently he would just look at the Vermouth from across the room. Now that's a dry Martini!
                          Last edited by zeegler; 05-01-2008, 12:04 PM.
                          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I made myself a martini once with Gin (Bombay) and Vermouth (Martini & Rossi). My granddad used to drink one every evening before dinner.

It was probably the worst tasting thing I ever drank. I remember it having a very olivey flavor. And I don't like olives.
                            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                              :ROTF: Back in the early '70s, my best friend's brother was stationed in Germany. He said that on Friday nights, they'd go down to the local tavern and get all liquored up. Ed said that he noticed that everytime he'd get up and go to the bathroom, he'd come back to a half empty beer mug. Finally, Ed decided on a solution. He ordered a new beer, took one sip, then unzipped his pants and stuck his pecker in the beer. Problem solved.
                              What he didn't know was that when he went to the bog, his mates also dunked their dicks in his pint, and smeared their cheesy helmets round the top of the beer glass. That's why they let him drink it all to himself. Hmmmm, tasty!
                              So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

the one thing about Gin is when you sweat it out, if give a really bad odor. if you ever knew a Gin-oholic you know what i mean.
                                ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Working...
                                X