Gin Lovers: List your faves!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gin Lovers: List your faves!

Inspired by the mixed drink thread, I thought I'd start a thread for the Gin lovers.

I'm a gin martini or gin-on-the-rocks kind of guy. I'll occasionally have a gin and tonic, but I prefer it straight.

What are your faves? Here's a collection of premium gins I've purchased. Some were great, some were so-so, and some were gag-inducing:

Bombay Sapphire (22.00/litre): My "regular". In the middle of the cost spectrum, but worth it. The best median of cost vs. taste.

Hampton's (31.00/ .75 liter): Delicious, but spendy. Hard to find in my area.

Tanqueray (not pictured): Highly overrated. I never buy it.

Tanqueray 10 (28.00/ .75 liter): Bleccchhh. This is their premium gin, and I find it completely offensive.

Tanqueray Malacca (22.00 / .75 liter): This stuff was great. I didn't find out it was a limited blend until I couldn;t get it anymore. Had I known it was limited, I would have bought a case of it.

Miller's (27.00 / .75 liter): Spendy, with nothing special to offer. For 12 bucks less, you can get a bottle of Beefeater which is just as good, if not better.

Beefeater (not pictured) (17.00 / liter): Excellent value; a great tasting Gin at a good price.

Xoriguer (far right) (was a gift, but I know it was spendy): Hard to find Gin, made in Spain. Excellent taste, on the peppery side (and that's a good thing).

Bafferts (30.00 / .75 liter): The most overpriced, mediocre Gin I've ever bought. $30.00 a bottle, and I don't know where the extra cost went.

Citadelle (21.00 / .75 liter): A bit spendy but a nice occasional change to my regular regimen of Bombay Sapphire.

Plymouth (old bottle design left, new bottle design right) (27.00 / .75 liter): One of my faves. Very slight peppery taste.

Beefeater Wet (28.00 / liter): Yuck. Was supposed to taste like pears, which sounded intriguing. This was some nasty, nasty "premium" gin.

Leyden (18.00 / .75 liter): Nothing special.

Magellan (27.00 /75 liter): This stuff is infused with irises, and is actually blue as a result. A strange, floral taste. Not bad, but different.

- E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Bombay.
    It has never let me down.
    Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

My dad LOVES Beefeater. It's been nearly half a year since I've lived at my parents' house but I vaguely remember him mixing it with Labatt Maximum Ice beer. Isn't that somewhat weird?

Comment

I used to like gin. Then I got tore up on Tanqueray one night and almost puked on Rick Nielsen. Yea that Rick Nielsen. I dont drink the gin anymore.

Comment

ugg, no offence, but Gin tastes like water filtered with a pine tree air freshener.

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear View Post
            ugg, no offence, but Gin tastes like water filtered with a pine tree air freshener.
            Matt, my friend, you are not drinking the right gin!

Here's a hint: steer clear of anything in a plastic bottle.

- E.
            Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

I went off gin for a long time (strangely enough, right after I wrote myself off at a friend's 18th birthday party). It has only been the last couple of years that I've been able to drink it again. It's not my tipple of choice, preferring scotch over ice, but for a refreshing mixer, I can't knock it.

Thanks for the mini-review, E. Now I have some names to check out, and a few to avoid
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Well, I'm not really a drinker. But ever since I can remember..my dad insisted on a "Martini w/ Beefeater gin, straight, shakin, not stirred with a double olive".

So, That's all I know . I like when there's just a thin layer of ice floating on top.!

I can feel 2 of those..3, I'm good!!!!
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Plymouth is my fave. at the moment. But I've not tried many of the others in your list. Nice collection.
                  Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Cold Gin - the Death Angel cover.

Gin makes me barf, after a silly night some 20 years ago, swilling far too much and then eating some snails........off a garden wall. I redecorated a hotel room with my vomit that night (before slithering out back to my own room he he).
                    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Bombay Sapphire is my favorite.
                      Will try the Plymouth, and the Beefeater.
                      Agree on the Tanqueray 10... not for me.
                      Ever try Hendricks?
                      Good for a change.
                      Thanks for the review, very informative!
                      "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                      --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear View Post
                        It was my third year of college and I was out partying with friends. I thought I'd be cool and order a gin and tonic with a twist of line. After one sip, I asked a bum if I could chew on his sneaker to get the gin taste out of my mouth.
                        "POOP"

Comment

Pretty much anything that's not in a plastic bottle is fine with me. In a typical bar I'll order Tanqueray - it's a safe bet and a decent gin.

I started drinking gin when we used to go down to Georgetown in DC back when I was in high school. It was a defense mechanism. If you order a screwdriver or Jack and Coke, then one of our buddies would inevitably snag it when your back was turned (hitting on a girl, dancing, etc.) - nobody ever stole my gin and tonics
                          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

My usual is Bombay Sapphire. It's got a great flavour. My other favourite that hasn't been mentioned yet is Brokers. It's really smooth, with a similar flavour to Bombay. I like Plymouth a lot too. It has a much more robust flavour. Tanqueray is disgusting overpriced shite. I think a lot of people drink it because they don't know any better. I'll drink cheap stuff like Gilbeys before I would touch the Tank.

I've always wanted to try Hendrick's, but it's kinda spendy, and I don't know if it's worth spending the extra money on gin that might not be as good as Bombay or Brokers.

I once bought a bottle of Iceberg gin. Worst mistake ever. It doesn't even taste like gin. It tastes like someone mixed really cheap gin with really cheap vodka. Fucking horrible stuff. Do yourself a favour, and don't ever buy it.

I normally drink my gin with tonic and ice mixed quite strong. On occasion if I want something sweeter, I use Wink as a mixer. I also enjoy a ridiculously dry Gibson Martini once in a while. A splash of Vermouth, and two cocktail onions is perfect.
                            Last edited by zeegler; 05-01-2008, 09:12 AM.
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I like Bombay Sapphire the most for drinking on ice or mixing... its very smooth.

To me Tanqueray tastes like ghetto mouthwash... terrible stuff.

When I'm looking for a terrible hangover I'll go into the gordon's london dry gin... I like it as a close second but it makes my head spin like nothing else.

Comment

Working...
                              X