How to kill your drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
    How much would you say it helped percentage wise outside your home.
    90%...? It's hard to convey in words. Mike is living in a typical 1970ish steel inforced concrete-slab construction apartment, with wooden floors and they did absolutely nothing at the time, to try and separate the concrete slabs between apartments - so sound travels very far and unmuted through this block of flats. It's a nightmare, soundwise. The architects were either very stupid or didn't care.

This platform perform so well, that we think he will be able to play without problems. He will also dampen the room itself, to minimize noise even further.
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
      For a while there I thought you were building your own Plinko board.

Brilliant! I've never seen anything like it, especially the sand. Flipping brilliant.

Any word from the neighbors?

Oh, and is his lease up next week? Good luck finding buddies like you to help him move, when he mentions the sand!
      The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
        What's a Plinko board?
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plinko
        The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

:ROTF:

Henrik

Comment

Small update. Here's how the V-Drum set looks like, setup on the platform. It fits nicely with plenty of surrounding space:

Henrik

Comment

I bet if you make that a bit smaller, less complicated and found something with similar properties to sand to replace the sand you could sell those to people with similar problems. I must say it's an incredibly intelligent design. Good Work!
              "Dear Dr. Bill,
              I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
                I bet if you make that a bit smaller, less complicated and found something with similar properties to sand to replace the sand you could sell those to people with similar problems. I must say it's an incredibly intelligent design. Good Work!
                Could sell it as a kit with everything pre-drilled. I bet from start to finish that thing would take an hour to assemble if it came in the form of a kit.

-Steve
                Guitars:
                '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                Amp:
                VOX AD30VT

Comment

That is a true tour de force! Strong work!

BTW, did you try the tennis ball and the sand separately? I was wondering how much each added to the sound-deadening.
                  "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Construct the base in 2 pieces for ease of transportation and put it to market.- Killer idea, Good for you!

Comment

I ought to build one of those for my 2x12 cabinet.
                      Who needs an attenuator?

Wait....nevermind.

Awesome work, Henrik!

Comment

Thank you ALL for your comments. They are much appreciated.

To address a few of the comments. Before we built this, we made a test setup, consisting of one kick drum + pedal on a small platform, without the sand, but with the tennis balls. It was very promising and I'd say that the tennis balls alone account for removing 70-80% of the total vibrations. To max it out, we introduced the sand due to the weight it adds. It helps dampen vibrations (=sound). We still have the last step ahead of us: dampening the room itself, using Rockwool (stone wool insulation) and air gaps. I might keep you updated on that.

I can't see what I could possibly replace the sand with. It would have to be replaced with a material with the same properties: heavy, cheap and easily accessible....

Complicated? I don't think this could be more simple The idea might seem complicated, but the construction and materials used, are very straight forward and cheap.
                        Henrik

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
                          I can't see what I could possibly replace the sand with. It would have to be replaced with a material with the same properties: heavy, cheap and easily accessible....
                          Flesh is a great sound absorber. Fill it with ground chuck or maybe the flesh of a few virgins! Too metal? :ROTF:

Comment

I stumbled upon this thread by accident and thought I might as well give you a heads up:
                            After 2 years of use, NO complaints from the neighbours!
                            And they are recording a metal album in that very apartment as we speak.

Sorry about the pictures not showing up.
                            Henrik

Comment

Working...
                            X