How to kill your drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to kill your drums

Here's one for the drummers out there! Being a guitar board there probably aren't any Anyways, this is a project I made for my drummer friend the other day. It is about how to silence an electrical drum kit.

As most owners of V-Drums find out, buying electrical drums does NOT solve the problem with noise and neighbours when living and playing drums in apartments. Despite being electrical, using headphones, the acoustical thumping from the kit travels through the building (especially concrete buildings) and drives your neighbours nuts. Same with my drummer friend, Mike. He moaned (and so did his neighbours) about this problem for years after buying a cool Roland V-Drum kit (TD-10 and then TD-20) and living in an apartment.

Finally I broke down and decided to build him a plateau for him to place the kit on - a platform that hopefully would kill most of the thumping energy (sound) and stop it from travelling to the floor and to the walls - to the neighbours!

I built a 6x6 feet sized wooden frame using rafter timber. Bottom consists of one thick MDF board. Then I stapled some heavy duty plastic to the wooden frame and finally placed the platform in his apartment and poured 400 Kg (880 pounds) of dried sand into it.

Weight and density is good when killing low frequency sound. Heavy dense things (sand) won't vibrate easily and therefore it won't transfer energy easily through to surrounding parts of your building.

Okay, wooden frame with 880 pounds of sand. Apartment ruined

Then we laid two slabs of MDF wood on the now levelled sand, cut in size to just clear the innner edge of the frame. NO direct contact between frame and slab is essential! Then we started drilling 32mm (1.26 inc) holes all through the two slabs:

Pretty heavy duty drill:

Keep going! 49 holes in total! Oops, tennis balls?

All done. Notice the slab clearing the frame by a few inches:

Then we removed one of the top slabs and started placing..... TENNIS BALLS!:

Wall-to-wall balls!

We then put the one slab back on, placing it on top of the balls, creating a sandwich of balls and wood (Fuck, I feel like Horns writing this dirty stuff ):

Weird top pic:

Put some foam on top:

And finally placed yet another slab of MDF + carpet to make the final top. Notice the clearing of the frame. Also notice that, me, being a guitarist, used quartersawn wood for the frame

The air-filled rubber balls acts like a perfect floating shock absorber and really removes a lot of the thumping noise generated by the kick drums especially. They are fixed in the holes we drilled and the platform is very rigid and stable. No major wobble. Together with the heavy sand and missing contact to the frame, this platform is a really effective sound killer. I checked the result by placing my ear flat against the wooden apartment floor, while Mike hit the drums. The missing thumps were a blessing! I did this test before and nearly damaged my ears! We are confident that he can play these drums now without disturbing the neighbours. Thank you
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

DANG!!!!!! awesome!!!! i may have to build one of those for my studio. i am a drummer also, and while i have no neighbors to worry about, i see that as an interesting way to help "live" recording. by eliminating a lot of floor noise it should help separate the bass and drum frequencies for those groups that DEMAND to record live in the same room!!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

ever thought of moving to a first floor apartment?

J/K Nice work! At one point of time, I was seriously considering getting the roland virtual drum kit. But never realized the problem.
      Sam

Comment

That's a very ingenious idea. Nice going!
        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Holy shit, nice job!

And here I thought it was a thread about drummers hitting so hard the shells break...
          http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Wow, that's really nifty...

Comment

I vote for a Sticky in Tech Q&A
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Wow..that's looks like too much work...cool tho.

After playing with many drummers at rehearsals rooms, basements, halls, clubs..yada..

My favorite drums sound is simple. My kid's 12 piece Sonor set is in my carpeted room with my amps. We have a very big quilted blanket that drapes the entire kit. I can adjust the blanket to increase/decrease the volume of the kick (w dbl kick pedal) . The drums sound amazing contolled , steady, dampened and even..and the blanket protects the heads, drums and hardware..which still look new..because of the fuggin' blanket.

So, I vote carpeted room..big comfy blanket!
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I see where you're getting at Bill, but you can't compare the two scenarios. Mine is to stop the lower end frequency travelling further. Yours is to stop reflections inside the room to please the people IN the room. Two different tasks. But you know that
                  Henrik

Comment

For a while there I thought you were building your own Plinko board.
                    Scott

Comment

Impressive!

Comment

Wow Henrik, you did an amazing job! That is a very clever idea..with tennis balls as shock absorbers. I didn't realize YOU actually did this. I thought you posted someones insanely elaborate ideas. Now I know you did this..wow! How much would you say it helped percentage wise outside your home. My trusty blanket dampend things so I don't have to crank as loud to compete..which helps my neighbors. I ask them if they ever hear us and they always say no..I'm suprised.

But that's pretty amazing, you can come here and do mine now.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Comment

bump

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                              For a while there I thought you were building your own Plinko board.
                              What's a Plinko board?
                              Henrik

Comment

Working...
                              X