No announcement yet.

Anybody remember Doro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure, they evolved into a more commercial style. Warlock's 1984 "Burning the witches" has of an Accept-ish kinda style..very straight forward, double bass, early German Power metal style..which still held up with time. Their touch of "glam" came with commerical success..MTV stuff..you know.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

saw her earlier this year @ the metal camp festival, she put on a GREAT show!
      You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

Saw her 2002 in Wacken, awesome show. I stood like 12th row waiting for the show to start... When she entered the stage, everybody wanted to move forward to the stage, and I got pushed to 2nd row where I enjoyed every second.
        oh damn she could be my mother...
        http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
          Sure, they evolved into a more commercial style. Warlock's 1984 "Burning the witches" has of an Accept-ish kinda style..very straight forward, double bass, early German Power metal style..which still held up with time. Their touch of "glam" came with commerical success..MTV stuff..you know.
          Right, and then "Hellbound" is also kinda power/thrashy but with a few slower songs. The title cut and Earthshaker Rock are pretty energetic. "Hellbound" is actually my favorite Warlock album. "True as Steel" starts to get commercial but still has some uptempo stuff. By "Triumph and Agony" they were pretty much trying to be as commercial as possible.

Still, I prefer all the Warlock stuff to any of the Doro solo stuff. I will always support Doro because she is so cool, but I guess she couldn't keep up the intensity level forever.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayniac View Post
            Funny - i was not all that familiar with most of her stuff before the tour, but have a couple of her older discs and the Warlock stuff.
            I agree - I saw the whole tour FIRST with Caffery and Luca Princiota (sp??) on guitar. They had an energy and intensity, and a modern playing style. they killed on the older stuff. So i had those versions in my head (you hear it 20-something nights in a 30 day period - it gets stuck in your head!)lol

One of the things they gave me was the 20 yr CD, and I see/hear what you are saying. The footage with their regular guys (Joe and Ollie) sounds more like classic rock or sounds more limited. Energy level is "less" with that lineup. Ollie may be a full time member of Kamelot now, so you may see a line-up change. Not sure about that though.

Regardless - I have to say- Johnny Dee and Nick Douglas are a tight, killer, underrated rhythm section. Funny/cool guys as well. Some of the stuff they got into during soundchecks was incredible. I wish they were able to contribute more to the songwriting.
            And again, props to Doro and the guys - she gives 10000% to her fans. She was sick for half of the tour, and you would not have known it besides a few voice issues during the last shows. No complaints - she was a trooper and was literally upset when she could not do the encore.. not cause it stroked her ego, but because she thought she was shortchanging the fans. Then, even when sick, she did the full meet&greet afterwards. She was always very gracious, and very appreciative of her fans. Always positive and high energy... she really loves what she does.
            If I was TM, I would have cancelled a couple of the shows... and the meet& greets would have not lasted 2 hrs after she got off stage
            DAMN! I would have loved to see those shows! Any DVD in the works?
            As for Ollie leaving, I'd rather see Joe leave, no offense. I'm sure he's a nice guy and sure Doro loves him, but he just doesn't cut it on the Warlock stuff and makes the newer stuff sound like classic rock, as you said.

I am with you on Johnny Dee and Nick Douglas, they are tight and I guess I shouldn't have slagged them. In reality I just think Joe isn't up to snuff and that's the bottom line. I enjoy the Fur Immer DVD but the concert is kind of my least favorite part because the Warlock stuf is just played second rate by him. Doro and the rest of them do fine, but as a lead player his pentatonic bullshit in those songs just ruins them for me.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
              DAMN! I would have loved to see those shows! Any DVD in the works?
              As for Ollie leaving, I'd rather see Joe leave, no offense. I'm sure he's a nice guy and sure Doro loves him, but he just doesn't cut it on the Warlock stuff and makes the newer stuff sound like classic rock, as you said.

I am with you on Johnny Dee and Nick Douglas, they are tight and I guess I shouldn't have slagged them. In reality I just think Joe isn't up to snuff and that's the bottom line. I enjoy the Fur Immer DVD but the concert is kind of my least favorite part because the Warlock stuf is just played second rate by him. Doro and the rest of them do fine, but as a lead player his pentatonic bullshit in those songs just ruins them for me.
              NO offense taken - I don't know the guy, and from a players standpoint, I agree 100% based on what I saw on the DVD.
              No addional DVD in the works that I know of - Just that 20th anniv one they released in time for the tour - 20 years a Warrior Soul? Same lineup though - Joe, Ollie, Nick, Johnnie...
              Yeah man - Nick and Johnnie are so underrated it is a crime. Those guys can both tear it up and lay down a solid groove.
              Caff won't be playing guitar for her on the 2008 US tour (hell - pretty sure I can't tech it either).

Comment

Exactly Ricardo, ..das rite!

Wassup Rich!!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Warlock's 1984 "Burning the witches" has of an Accept-ish kinda style..
                  Ah yes, "Burning the Wick Chairs" as it is known round here. Very Germanic-sounding.
                  I used to like Doro and Warlock, mostly because I wanted to spin her on my bell-end. Is she an old boiler now? I bet she uses make up like Polyfilla.

I'd certainly go and see her live if she pops up around here, and for the music, not the bell-end spinning.
                  So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

In soundcheck, it was "scratchin' the itches" when Caffery sang

Comment

Exactly Ricardo, ..das rite!

Wassup Rich!!!
                      Hey Bill! How ya doin'? I'm hangin' like the Spanish moss my friend!
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Awesome Rich.

Well..I'm doin'..my wife is drivin' me nuts ..but that is my life.

Comment

Here's the energy level i was talking about
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sg3WP5BpZY

Comment

Working...
                          X