So, I have high cholesterol...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I have high cholesterol...

...its actually in the "risk" range. Its 246 and anything greater than 240 it seems is "risk". I understand that high cholesterol can and in my case will lead to heart disease and such. But I eat primarily a veggie diet, dont smoke, nor drink...why me? My guess is genetics...

So, what's the deal now? Must I take pills (Lipitor??) the rest of my life? Or can I try to reduce the "hereditary" cholesterol with diet and exercise? I dont see my diet changing much cause I hardly eat junk food, or deep-fried food. I work-out for approx 45 mins 3 times a week...
    Sam

damn you lead a near perfect lifestyle so i dont see why you should be hit with high cholesterol

thats shit
    Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
    Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

tell me about it! I am just 31. Its so unfair. Now I am banned from eating my twice-weekly ice-cream desserts after dinner.
      Sam

Comment

My grandmother had high cholesterol pretty much her entire life and never developed any heart disease. I say stay off the pills as long as you can.
        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
          ...its actually in the "risk" range. Its 246 and anything greater than 240 it seems is "risk". I understand that high cholesterol can and in my case will lead to heart disease and such. But I eat primarily a veggie diet, dont smoke, nor drink...why me? My guess is genetics...

So, what's the deal now? Must I take pills (Lipitor??) the rest of my life? Or can I try to reduce the "hereditary" cholesterol with diet and exercise? I dont see my diet changing much cause I hardly eat junk food, or deep-fried food. I work-out for approx 45 mins 3 times a week...
          Cool, so I'm not the only one Join the club. I eat fish and salads. I do have an addiction to cheese that needs to stop. and nothing but skim milk from now on. Look at the bright side, I'm 10 years closer to the grave than you.

Comment

I'd try to avoid the pills and find some alternatives

that being said.... if you are healthy and fit... then maybe it's not a big problem and doesn't cause heart problems.... if you had biology classes in high school then maybe you remember that it's actually a part of cell membrane.... so maybe your cells are a little bit different.... you know each individual has a different organism... something different doesn't mean it's automatically bad

try to talk with your doctor and find the best solution
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

DOnt take the pills. My gramma took them and developed throat cancer. I have heard alot of "natural" medicine people say they are linked to cancer.

Take this next bit of info however you want. My wife worked at a hospital and talked with drug reps daily. She asked one she was friends with once was he aware of the cancer/cholesterol drug connection and he said YES but he couldnt go onthe record saying that. You can take it for whatever you want.

Cholesterol can be reduced naturally but it will take a huge sacrifice. Rememebr it didnt get high over night. Here is a site that is all natural and has a proven track record. Or you can keep doing what youre doing I guess. Im just trying to help.

http://www.bodybylife.com/

Comment

are you talking about pills like Lipitor? Cancer?? I'd rather die of a heart attack than die of cancer. It seems there's no pain worse than cancer pain.

but the website seems to be more of a weight-loss type. i'm 5'10" and 167 lbs. Dont think I want to get any skinner than this!
                Sam

Comment

I took Lipitor for about a week and got sore muscles. Do a search and investigate ways to reduce the bad cholesteral naturally. Apple juice, almonds, walnuts etc are all things you can try. I have no history of heart issues or high blood pressure in my family yet I got it. The put me on some shit to lower the blood pressure but I only took it for a couple days..made me piss every 15-20 minutes. I decided I'll exercise and run 3 miles about 3-5 times a week...my BP is normal now. I wont know my cholesteral again until December. I don't eat all that bad but I do read lables and look at the fat content. I'm supposed ot be on a low fat diet but I'll wait and see how I'm doing in December. I'm not fat or out of shape either..according to my wife I'm getting too skinny

What type of workouts do you do? Are you doing cardio? Unless you've been dealt som bad genes they I would think you could correct it with diet and exercise but also if you dont have the discipline to stick to it you dont wanna fuck around with you heart....you only got one
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Yes Lipitor is a cholesterol drug. My dad started taking cholesterol drugs and I beg him all the time to stop and check out alternative ways to cholesterol control. I dont want him to die of cancer.

Its not a weight loss site. Check out the Dr who runs the site. Read about the preacher he helped go from 600 to 150 with diet alone. There is a way to achive it but one of the ways is to NOT eat animal products for a short period of time. BIG SACRIFICE FOR ME LOL

Comment

Well, I run on the treadmill at 6.5 for about 20 mins. Do some chin-ups and lift some weights. I used to work out a LOT more than I am doing now. But diet-wise, its been the same. Since I got into playing guitars, I cant wait to get out of the gym.
                      Sam

Comment

Well, I run on the treadmill at 6.5 for about 20 mins. Do some chin-ups and lift some weights. I used to work out a LOT more than I am doing now. But diet-wise, its been the same. Since I got into playing guitars, I cant wait to get out of the gym.

I hear ya. I like running once get to it but I convince myself I really dont have a choice to not do it I may have to et me a treadmill for the winter months when its hard for me to get motivated because it gets dark at 6:30pm

I would think wiht you exercising that you could reduce the bad cholesterol by eating the right kinds of food.
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Lipitor and other hyperlipid drugs can have serious side effects, keep doing what you're doing diet/exercise wise and consider seeing a naturopath, I know several people who have had good results with natural solutions...good luck dude.

Comment

are you talking about pills like Lipitor? Cancer?? I'd rather die of a heart attack than die of cancer. It seems there's no pain worse than cancer pain.

but the website seems to be more of a weight-loss type. i'm 5'10" and 167 lbs. Dont think I want to get any skinner than this!
                            I'm 30 pounds lighter and the same height. Girls love the skeleton boy.
                            Scott

Comment

Every male on both sides of my family has had bypass surgery by age 65, my dad had his first heart attack at 38, three bypass operations later, with major diet modifications he still only made it to 63, my cholesterol, has been 250 to 300 since I started checking it when I was 30, (49 now) the Doc basically said it was a matter of time before I started having major problems, 3 years ago I went on lipitor, its been around 200 for the last couple years, I need to get in and get another liver function test, but so far thats been okay, With a gene pool like mine, one doctor pretty much told me I was screwed, I have done,, (and still do) the diet thing for the longest time and it'll only bring it down slightly, the exercise routine is great, but definitly listen to the doctors advice, and ease in to any medications, the damn doctors are prescription happy so do be cautious also
                              Last edited by FusionFarmer; 08-29-2007, 03:13 PM.
                              I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Working...
                              X