The Black Crowes Appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sambencuda View Post
    I've seen them 5 times and one time they didn't do anything recognizable to me. THey did a tone of old blues covers. Aside from that show, they blew me away everytime. I can't imagine how anyone could trash them, but to each their own. Southern Harmony has to be my favorite album.

I don't care what your opinion is. The Crowes awesome. I don't think they sound like any band. I love the Stones too, but I don't see the comparison other than good writing and musicianship. To me, it's apples and oranges. Yes, they always had the retro thing going as far as image and style, but thats as far as it goes as far as I can see.

I like metal too, but I'm able to appreciate something with a little less distortion as well.

To each their own brothers!
    I don't trash them, but they just aren't my thing. Nothing they do grabs me.

I might be reaching, but if you call Tesla (only thing that comes to mind right now) the same style of music as the Crowes, I'd pick Tesla all day long. Their stuff catches my attention.

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
      Keep up any more of this crowes bashing andi'll find a way to have cherokee by Europe run 24 hours a fukkin' day until you want to literally blow your head right off across the street into the neighbors kitchen.
      Hey, that's a great song

It's been a while - someone needs to write another indian song.

Comment

They're CD's are fine. They just suck live. They were so stoned out of their fucking minds - it sounded like total shit. It was like a high school band that couldn't stop jamming in 'A' because they didn't know anything else. They were pitiful.
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Listening to their Greatest Hits 1990 - 1999 (A Tribute to a Work in Progress) right now. The song Kickin' My Heart Around from the By Your Side album rules!
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

They are pretty good. I had a friend that always wanted to kick my ass because I didn't think they were the greatest band since Zepplin. Like um, but not that much.

Comment

Hippie,
              pick uo the Black Crowes live with Jimmy Page at the Greek in Los Angeles.
              You'll see the light, it's a great album, and who in god's name would try to pull off Plant's voice and then come through!!!! It's a great cd, what's your address? PM me, i'll send it to you.
              Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I saw them at the Basement in Dallas when SYMM was out and it was awesome. They did a great cover of Happy by Keef. I also saw em on Amorica and the extended playing thing wore on me a bit but it was still a great show. I missed the Southern Harmony tour which is my favorite of all their CD's. They are a great band.

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
                  Hippie,
                  pick uo the Black Crowes live with Jimmy Page at the Greek in Los Angeles.
                  You'll see the light, it's a great album, and who in god's name would try to pull off Plant's voice and then come through!!!! It's a great cd, what's your address? PM me, i'll send it to you.
                  I have it. Some of it is ok.
                  I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

jason, the amorica tour was the stuff, they opened last year with Cursed Diamond, and I caught air that night.
                    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Sorry...I have no appreciation for the Crowes after I met Chris Robinson at a NYC guitar show one year. Kate was with him, and she was a doll and great to talk to. He must've been having a bad day, because he was just being a dick. Someone would ask for his autograph, and he'd tell them hang on a second...someone's calling me, and then walk away.

I was formerly introduced to him by the guy running the show (coincedentally, the guy I used to work for).

That being said...I lost all appreciation for them.

Comment

Originally posted by VulfgangPfuck View Post
                        Sorry...I have no appreciation for the Crowes after I met Chris Robinson at a NYC guitar show one year. Kate was with him, and she was a doll and great to talk to. He must've been having a bad day, because he was just being a dick. Someone would ask for his autograph, and he'd tell them hang on a second...someone's calling me, and then walk away.

I was formerly introduced to him by the guy running the show (coincedentally, the guy I used to work for).

That being said...I lost all appreciation for them.
                        So you caught the guy in a bad mood and lost all appreciation for the band? I must say that I don't understand why anybody would want fame. It would be nothing but a royal pain in the rear end most of the time. Stuff like non-stop autograph requests would just get extremely annoying. I'd say that's where Chris stood that day.

Comment

damn, that's a pretty lame reason man.... music is music, most of the rockstars are assholes anyway

I remember Marty Friedman said that don't get to know your idols because you most likely will gonna be dissapointed
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I can totally appreciate anyones opinion good or bad about any band. After all, misic is very subjective.

Don, I wouldn't compare them to tesla at all. That being said, I also love Tesla.

Page with the Crowes live at the greek is a great cd. It's better than the Page Plant stuff that came out a few years ago IMO. I don't mean any disrespect to Page and Plant. I'm actually just as much a fan of Led Zep, but That live record they put out just didn't have that feel to it. The Crowes with page felt more like old Zep to me.
                            "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                              damn, that's a pretty lame reason man.... music is music, most of the rockstars are assholes anyway
                              Well...I gotta say I didn't care for them much anyway BEFORE I met him. But his attitude turned me off of any further listening.
                              Just left a sour taste is all.

It's not about signing autographs...that day anyway. He was there at a guitar show, not a Black Crowes show backstage where there's throngs of groupies begging for his J.Hancock.
                              He wasn't being pestered about signing things that I saw anyway. Kate was asked more, and happily obliged anyone that asked her.

And yes subjectivity, we're not all going to agree on what's cool and what's not.
                              Last edited by VulfgangPfuck; 12-01-2006, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Actually at a concert would be the ideal setting to get/give autographs as you are "on the job". When somebody is bugging you on your personal time like at a guitar show, while eating dinner at a restaraunt, etc......well, I can understand how famous people could get irritated with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X