No announcement yet.

Mentaly ill parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If he gets a psyche eval, they probably will take away his guns and his ability to own them by license.
    Less than legal guns make it even more of a sticky situation.
    That sounds as tho it wouldn't be a bad thing.. but, take away something like a gun owners gun, and that is like taking away his right as an American.

That will not sit well.
    To some men, that would be likened to being neutered.

I really wish you the best on this but I think I tend to agree, that a non Gov't social worker or private counselor may be a good option for advice on how to handle it.
    Last edited by charvelguy; 11-25-2006, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Bill Z gave you the best advice on what to do. Unless they are in plain sight or he goes for a gun when they try to put him in an ambulance they not going to take the guns. They're not there to look for anything. If he is as bad as you say he is he shouldn't have any guns anyway for his own safety. It sound like he is either bipolar or has dementia. If he is bipolar meds will help and if its dementia he can't live on his own anymore. If he gets commited you need to get POA of assets and medical. Don't get gaurdianship unless its absolutely necessary. You should see if his wife can help. If your father has ever made a will he may have had a POA done also with wife as POA. Its too much to handle on your own.

Comment

No offense Rich, he sounds more severely depressed to me, but I got my psyche license out of a cracker jack box and real life experiences.

There's plenty of sources for advice on the internet. Professionals and MD's who have columns or donate their time for free who will read your story and give sound, educated advice, if you so choose to seek it.

Comment

Originally posted by Donovan View Post
          One of my concerns is that he's got some guns in the house too. I have most of them but he's got about 10 or so. What I DON'T want to happen is for them to take the guns and then I have to fight to county to get them back.........agian. Some are a bit unlegal in CA.
          You've got "most" of them but he still has about 10? That makes me think he's enough of a 2nd Amendment guy that, if he IS demented and cops come in, he may very well go for a gun. You could end up with a dead dad unless you get ALL the guns out of there BEFORE the cops come over. They can be as sympathetic as possible but if raises a weapon they'll shoot to kill.

In his dementia he coulde think "Here's the police state I've feared all my life, and I'm not letting them take me!". You need to figure out how to get the guns out of there first. My brother-in-law died of dementia last year, it took seeveral years to get him. In the early stages he had a lot of anger and although he never hit her, he raised a fist to my sister on several occasions. I only mention this because he would NEVER raised his hand to her when he was in his right mind. You can't predict what your dad will do based on the "old" rational dad you knew.

I don't want to discourage you; it sounds like you have to intervene, and soon. I'm just saying you need to take some precautions before bringing others in. Even if you hire an inhome sitter, get rid of the guns. Dad may not recognize them one day and shoot them - or the sitter might take his shit and sell it too. Secure the things you don't want the family to lose.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

No offense Rich, he sounds more severely depressed to me, but I got my psyche license out of a cracker jack box and real life experiences.
            No offense taken. With my family issues grandmother inlaw- dementia, brother-schizophrenic, mother inlaw bipolar and because of my older brother's issues my younger brother was put in hospital for a phsyc tests for a week because of his issues(school phobia WTF?) I believe its past severe depression. When there is anger its not just depression. Either way he at least needs to see a professional whether you or I is correct.

Comment

I was talking about the guns to a person last night. The Emergency services shouldn't take the guns if he really needs to go and I can go in there and get them. I it does come down to it I'll just go in and tell my dad they're comming to defuse the situation. I think if I tell him that he needs to go for ME then he'll go in, but if they come ant take him and take his guns too that would be really bad.

Comment

Working...
              X