No announcement yet.

I'm just a waiter without super powers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't make everyone happy. There is always some sourpuss with a bug up their ass looking to complain about something.
    I appreciate the effort and to be honest I want to be left alone when I go and eat.
    I am either talking with whomever I went out with, reading a mag or watching TV on one of this sports bars. I don't need the mngr. or waiter sking me every five minutes how are things.

Don't spit on my plate, make sure there are no insects or hairs on my plate and the leave me the hell alone. If I need I refill I'll call ya.
    Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

I can totally relate - I worked as a "server" for years while I was in college and such. It is truly a difficult job. I work at 2 different Pizza Huts. We would regularly have to watch for peoples kids literally running around the restaurant while we were carrying two large pizzas - scary if one of those fell on the kid.

I had I don't know how many people thank me for actually acknowledging the kids and talking to them - many people will ignore the kids. The place wasn't huge, but I would often have like have to myself - about 10-12 tables. The occasional b-day party. And would help with the delivery of beer - since if you're under 21 you can't serve it here. I made good tips mostly by busting my ass, showing concern for everybody at the table, and just being kind of friendly.

I would have people hunting me down to tip me just for bringing a couple beers to their table because their server was under 21. I had one children's party - 20 people total - 15 munchkins. The Dad forgot to leave the tip. Apparently the wife asked while they were in the parking lot - he got a massive chewing out in the middle of the parking lot and forced to come back in and admit he forgot to leave the tip. I'd have people come in and specifically asked to sit in my section - no matter whether I had smoking or non. But there were always those people that no matter what you did it wasn't good enough. They could have a group, run up a bill for $50 to $75 and still leave like 5 bucks and think that was a good tip.

Needless to say - I definitely leave good tips for people that wait on my table, I always take into consideration what else might be going on.

Comment

I treat waiters/waitresses the way I expect to be treated.
        I'm not demanding at all... take my order.. bring it to me in a timely fashion and occasionaly look and see if my drink needs a refill. And have a smile while doing it. Leave the attitude or best friend bit for the other tables... I don't need it. Although I can appreciate a good joke when it's appropriate.
        Do that and I'm a happy man.
        I tip accordingly. Every server starts off with a max tip of 25%... it will either stay there or go down based soley on their performance.
        I will not hold a server responsible for poorly prepared food either. They didn't cook it. I'll take those issues up with the cook and the manager.
        And unlike most people, if a server is doing a great job, I will tell the manager about it.
        Most managers only hear complaints... I think it's nice for them to here good things about their employees once and a while.
        But trust me... I'll let a manager know if they suck also.
        -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
          I'm not demanding at all... take my order.. bring it to me in a timely fashion and occasionaly look and see if my drink needs a refill. And have a smile while doing it. Leave the attitude or best friend bit for the other tables... I don't need it. Although I can appreciate a good joke when it's appropriate.
          I tip accordingly. Every server starts off with a max tip of 25%... it will either stay there or go down based soley on their performance.
          I will not hold a server responsible for poorly prepared food either. They didn't cook it. I'll take those issues up with the cook and the manager.
          And unlike most people, if a server is doing a great job, I will tell the manager about it.
          Most managers only hear complaints... I think it's nice for them to here good things about their employees once and a while.
          I like this attitude! When I served I liked the people like this. So very few people would actually tell the manager when the service was good. Thanks you from the waiters, waitresses and servers!

Comment

I would never spit in a persons food because I would never want someone to do that to me. Blah hopefully the new year will begin with a new career

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
              +1

I always treat everyone the way I would want to be treated

I've had a lot of business lunch/diners and you can really tell a lot about a person by the way they treat their waitor/waitress. I hate seeing people being rude or difficult for no reason or not saying thank you!
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

And then there was the chick in Nashville who brought Moshwitz his tea with her finger in it :ROTF:

I pointed it out to him and he was like "She did?", and then asked her to bring him another one "without the finger"
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Was she hot, Newc? Maybe grab her finger and suck it HAHAHAHA
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I have never worked as a waitperson, but I have worked in customer service, and you get the similar types of responses from customers. In the plumbing business it can be bad because generally if their sewer backed up into their bathtub and all over the bathroom floor, they're starting out in a bad mood!

Still, there are the customers who want to inflict pain on you for their bad day/week/life, and there are those who realize you are there to take care of their needs, in this case solve the problem for them.

Not that many tip though, due to the unexpected nature and often high cost of the bill. If you think about it though, in many cases the plumber literally has to put up with your shit in order to do his job. That should be worth a bump, but no...

I won't eat out in a sitdown restaurant if I can't afford to tip. A 20% tip for decent service is integral to the cost of the meal IMO. If I can't do that I eat at home or go to Burger King or Taco Bell. I don't expect a dazzling personality or a slavish demeanor from a waitperson, but don't act like I'm imposing on you either. It IS your job, and if you don't like it, don't take it out on me.

I got enough of that from 20 years of assholes who were pissed at me because their wives flushed their tampons down the toilet and clogged up the sewer. "Isn't there a warranty?"... not against your wife having her next period, pal!
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X