Loud Neighbors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud Neighbors

So my wife and I live in a condo located in a quite neighborhood with mostly elderly people and white collar working professionals. The guitars and piano are in a second floor room with two outside walls, and the interior do not join any of the other units. This way I can crank up the amp (a little) and not disturb my neighbors. I make every effort not to bother my neighbors, if for no other reason than I don't want them to bother me.

Anyway, to the point; we have a neighbor that moved into the condo in the front of the building. He seemed like a jackass at first, but I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt at least once. So the first day this guy and his girl move in he's got his music so loud that I can hear it outside on my balcony with the doors and windows shut, on the opposite side of the building. That was the only time I've had to ask this guy to turn down the music in the last three months, and he didnt give me a hard time at all, until tonight of course.

Knowing that my long day at work had left me in the worst of moods, I decided to try the old, "bang on the wall trick", before confronting him, and of course it didnt work.

I didn't want to tie up a 911 line with a trivial noise complaint so I decided to try talking to him first. Unfortunately that decision almost ended up in a physical fight, this guy is LOADED, drunk or high, I can't tell which. His eyes are all blood shot, and he's acting real aggressive.

So now Im waiting for the cops to arrive. I hate to have to do that, especially since now that the cops are involved there's gonna be bad blood between us, and I dont even know the guys name LOL.

Im more concerned about the guy retaliating on my place, or worse my wife, when Im out of town again, than I am anything else.

Fucking douche bag, it would figure that I'd end up with a shitty neighbor, and whats worse is that its not like he's playing good music either, its hardcore rap.

Later,

Steve
    Guitars:
    '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
    '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
    '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
    Amp:
    VOX AD30VT

Originally posted by UFORocks View Post
    I didn't want to tie up a 911 line with a trivial noise complaint
    Yes, 911 is for emergencies only.

Hope it all works out.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Condos have rules don't they. That's why some people don't like condos. Isn't there a condo association?

Comment

Originally posted by danastas View Post
        Condos have rules don't they. That's why some people don't like condos. Isn't there a condo association?
        Yeah, we have an association, and there are noise violation rules. Im not sure if they can evict, but I'm pretty sure they can fine the owners. Im going to have to read up on the rules, but after a few complaints have been filed with the police I think I can file a complaint with the condo assoc.

Hopefully this works out, I hate having to fight with a neighbor over something as trivial as this.
        Guitars:
        Amp:
        VOX AD30VT

Comment

wow that sucks. kudos for taking a stand though. my neighbor looks like jesus and hes a pot dealer. and then the next house over from him are the drunken stoners that he sells to and end up wandering through my yard yelling and screaming at 2 in the morning. one night im going to climb on my roof with my airsoft rifle and start shooting the beer bottles while they are taking a drink. se if that takes care of it

Comment

My job by nature requires a certain amount of confrontation, but after dealing with it all day at work I just dont want to deal with that when I come home.

What irritated me most was the guy getting in my face and telling me to suck his dick, and threatening to hit me. Im not sure the the hell he was thinking, i've probably got 40 lbs on him, easy.

I could hear them through the walls when the cop showed up.... ok, honestly, I had my ear up to the wall... but regardless, they sounded like a pair of spoiled teens yelling and complaining to the cop.

At least its quiet now. Im just concerned about the next few days, we rarely see them, which is good, so hopefully he'll just avoid me rather than trying to start something.
            Guitars:
            Amp:
            VOX AD30VT

Comment

I could hear them through the walls when the cop showed up.... ok, honestly, I had my ear up to the wall...
              well thats still hearing them through the walls one way or another lol

Comment

My job by nature requires a certain amount of confrontation, but after dealing with it all day at work I just dont want to deal with that when I come home.

What irritated me most was the guy getting in my face and telling me to suck his dick, and threatening to hit me. Im not sure the the hell he was thinking, i've probably got 40 lbs on him, easy.

I could hear them through the walls when the cop showed up.... ok, honestly, I had my ear up to the wall... but regardless, they sounded like a pair of spoiled teens yelling and complaining to the cop.

At least its quiet now. Im just concerned about the next few days, we rarely see them, which is good, so hopefully he'll just avoid me rather than trying to start something.
                You should have suckered him into taking the first punch. Then fucking pummeled him.
                Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Until recently I lived in a condo. The first few years were bliss with quiet neighbours. Then in the same year a woman moved in below me with a fuckin basset hound that she would leave outside and it would bark non-stop at the passing traffic. It was so loud you could hear the damn dog even when the windows were closed. I confronted her and she tried to give me some BS that it must have been someone else's dog but I told her no way. Anyways, she seemed to keep the dog in more often after that. Our condo by-laws clearly stated that only lap dogs were allowed in the building. We didn't take into account this big woman had a big lap for her big yappy dog.

At the same time the people above me and adjacent to me changed and the two new people liked to play their thump thump dance music regularly and loud. To remind them how sound carried through the walls I would crank my amp up all of the way prop the guitar beside it and just let it feedback for 5-10 minutes. The people above me always took the hint and turned their music down, but the idiot beside me never took the hint. Anyways, one evening the war of noise ended with 3 of my other neighbours wanting to lynch me. Anyways, I moved. It was time to get a house anyways.
                  Last edited by cookiemonster2; 10-05-2006, 09:37 PM.

Comment

I bought a decent sized old house in Buffalo with an apartment in back. It was rented out when I moved in. We liked the tenant a lot. Always had good conversations. She was an artist, she even gave us an artwork that was worth more than we knew at the time. Two years later she got a job and moved to California.

As I was over at the apartment painting for the new tenants one day, I could hear my wife talking on the phone in the living room below. It was clear as day. So I went outside and down to the living room to do some sound tests. I cranked the TV (you could hear it perfectly and loud in the tenant's apartment). I went into my wife's office (we've had a few "sessions" in there the last couple years). Clear as day you could hear everything. I went into my infant daughter's bedroom. I asked my wife to feign ear piercing infant cries since we didn't want to pinch my daughter and force her to produce the real thing on demand. Sure enough, my former tenant had to endure something a parent should only have to endure. And finally I went into the music room, cranked up the amp, asked my wife to listen, and it was loud as hell.

I don't know how the tenant endured us for 2 years. She wasn't deaf, I'm pretty sure. I ended up having to put up dry wall over plaster (leaving an inch in between with soundproof sheeting). Our big living room is silent these days though since I can't soundproof my ceiling and the new tenant's floor, but I've discovered that watching TV with movies and subtitles is actually kind of cool. I can figure out what people are saying now. I never realized that I was missing most of what people in movies were saying.

Comment

I can´t stand noises from neighbours, I don´t want to be heard either. A year ago we moved into a beautiful flat right across the city park, which is so noise-hefty (that english?) that I didn´t use the stereo or my amp ever since. Looking for a house right now but probably won´t move before a year.

Comment

Originally posted by 5074charvel View Post
                        noise-hefty (that english?)
                        Uh, not really

Comment

close tho.. but ya want noise heavy. Its like trying to explain a simile. Like how weighty brass means heavy metal.

Comment

OK..dude there is alot you can do..without "confrontation"..me I like confrontation..actually I love that, well, because I always win..and that's awesome...it gives me POWER baby ..POWER!!!!!

I have a rental property next to me..I have NO control what the landlord gets in here, and what comes and goes in there....actually the lanlord and I had a heart to heart..see if I'm bothered by his tenents..I WILL bother him..if I have to call the cops. (my boys) at 3:00AM..guess who else is getting the call..yes him..I done that a few times and yes, he answers the phone..

Call the cops..PEROID..call them as many times you have to..since .."Neighbor trouble" is not a high priority with slow response time..please call them as soon as you think they are about to be disruptive..In Cleveland there is 911 and a non emergency dispatch number..it's 623-1234..there must be a low prority non emergeny number for you to contact..call the dispatch or district for that number.

I would call the district near you..they'll give you that number and while you are on the phone ask for the OIC..(Officer in charge)..explain that this is "ongoing" and you can't take it anymore and things may get ugly..ask for a "special attention"..they will right one up for you and give to the zone car in your patch during Roll Call..basically the cops will just roll by and throw their alley lights on them..lighting up them and their house..that should tone things down..

if not..contact your counsilman..neighbor relations department..or community relations..they will assign someone to your complaint and come out if need be..I did that and they posted a noise ordinance notice on their door..you have the right for tranquility..period!!

Funny thing was the dumb bitch was home when she was posting that complaint and confronted her..so I had to go out..that squashed it..I wanted to beat her boyfriends ass a few times..calling him everything but his name..if you can think of it..I called him that twice..jail house tats all over him..I asked him..how would you like to get some more motherfucker..

But I can get away with that..actually I can get away with MUCH more and have...check out my thread where these dumbfucks put gang grafitti on my gararge..I took matters into my own hands..of course I called my boys and they went over there wih me..we did some fucked up shit..I hit one dude in the head with my Mag-Lite..ummm..they got the point.

Yes, I was a Cleveland cop for 13 years..that's doesn't hurt..and I'm a evil mutherfuggin' bad ass..that doesn't hurt either!!

so ..you have all these options..now pick up the phone and start making some noise yourself..and you should be OK..if they are "renters"..man I hate most of them...call the fuggin' lanlord too..you'll be OK..!!

My lanlord is cool now..he actually gets MY approval of possible tenants..I live in a "Copland" and area in the inner city where all the city workers live due to residency..like a "burb within' a shithole..so it has to stay nice ans quiet here..so all renters must be on their best behavior..or we toss them on their ass..I tossed four in the ten years I been here...it's no big deal..just aggravationg at the time..

All the neighbors know me and come to me if shit happends..I take care of biz..I'm like the sheriff at my place..so when they see me go off (and they have) ..they are right there supporting me..they know something is wrong..I keep things in check!!

Good luck..

Bill Z
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Bill's his neighborhood's godfather hahahahaha!

"Don Zurlo, I come to ask a favor..."

Comment

Working...
                              X