No announcement yet.

So, what would your morals do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Henrick, he was sent away from his home country with his mother as a baby as not to cause a national scandal. They ended up in Jamaica. Imagine being a young, fair skinned boy, spending your early years surrounded by Rascals. By 13 in New Zealand, he had had enough and made his way on his own. In Japan, the Japanese family members have 100% rights over the children.

One former colleague, years ago, fell in love with a Japanese girl in Australia. They fell in love and got married, moving back to Japan, living with the inlaws. His wife was diagnosed with cancer in the last stages of her pregnancy. She lived a very short time after the birth. He wanted to take his child back to Australia. He was under 30 and hoped to once again find someone. Well, the grandparents petitioned the courts and were awarded full rights to the child. He returned to Australia, alone.

My friend is European and so am I. I carry 2 passports. Without understanding a lifestyle that most only see in movies, gifts are not always gifts. How do you think so many young girls end up in prostitution? Once the party is over, someone has to pay. The gift giver is making an investment in future income and in that type of world, individuals are disposable commodities.

The idea of,"If you can't beat 'em, join 'em", is not how one of integrity should concede. The time piece is a wonder piece of mechanical engineering. The person who now occupies my study is a human being and a good friend going through a difficult time. Does the former or latter hold greater value? There are 2 things in life, that cannot be bought, if indeed geniune; dignity and integrity.

Gifts do not build bonds, the bonds are already there, hence the gifts of genuine intention are presented as a token of something already in place. Currency is just that, always flowing and unrelaible. At least the watch goes in a box before we do.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Kabong
      Henrick, he was sent away from his home country with his mother as a baby as not to cause a national scandal. They ended up in Jamaica. Imagine being a young, fair skinned boy, spending your early years surrounded by Rascals. By 13 in New Zealand, he had had enough and made his way on his own. In Japan, the Japanese family members have 100% rights over the children.

One former colleague, years ago, fell in love with a Japanese girl in Australia. They fell in love and got married, moving back to Japan, living with the inlaws. His wife was diagnosed with cancer in the last stages of her pregnancy. She lived a very short time after the birth. He wanted to take his child back to Australia. He was under 30 and hoped to once again find someone. Well, the grandparents petitioned the courts and were awarded full rights to the child. He returned to Australia, alone.

My friend is European and so am I. I carry 2 passports. Without understanding a lifestyle that most only see in movies, gifts are not always gifts. How do you think so many young girls end up in prostitution? Once the party is over, someone has to pay. The gift giver is making an investment in future income and in that type of world, individuals are disposable commodities.

The idea of,"If you can't beat 'em, join 'em", is not how one of integrity should concede. The time piece is a wonder piece of mechanical engineering. The person who now occupies my study is a human being and a good friend going through a difficult time. Does the former or latter hold greater value? There are 2 things in life, that cannot be bought, if indeed geniune; dignity and integrity.

Gifts do not build bonds, the bonds are already there, hence the gifts of genuine intention are presented as a token of something already in place. Currency is just that, always flowing and unrelaible. At least the watch goes in a box before we do.

Are you a carpenter? If not you just did a fantastic job of hitting the nail on the head.
      I keep the bible in a pool of blood
      So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

It's a complex matter and I may very well have misunderstood something, but..

Originally posted by El_Kabong
        The idea of,"If you can't beat 'em, join 'em", is not how one of integrity should concede.
        If you're referring to the issue of your friend (not you) selling the watch for profit, then.... refusing the gift in the first place would be the only way to keep integrity.
        Henrik
        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

But he did keep his integrity, Henrick. Refusing the gesture would have embarrassed and insulted his host in front of subbordinates. By putting the watch in his pocket as casually as one would accept a cigarette in a bar, he was telling the business man that he could not be bought. The businessman understood and saved face. Everyone that would have seen the transaction would have understood and my friend gained a lot of respect for what he did and the way the situation played out. I live in a high context culture; words are few, appearance is everything.

Comment

Okay, El_Kabong. Quite an intriguing story.
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Hmm.. no offense, but sometimes from Japan TV youu would not think appearance is everything, but in a real life situation like that.. that would be the appropriate gesture. Indians were more like this.. we as westerners are more in your face.. especially with words.. sometimes we don't always consider or care about the dynamics of who we are speaking too either becase we are usually so free beyond 'cultural' teachings and immersed in the 'USA' way.
              Last edited by charvelguy; 08-04-2006, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X