So, what would your morals do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, what would your morals do?

My friend, who is going through a divorce and staying at my home, noticed I like watches. He doesn't wear one very often at all. He hands me a $12,000, (yes, twelve thousand dollar), Patek Phillipe Aquanaut:
    http://www.atlantictime.com/patek-ph...9827-5153.html
    (In Japan, it's $15,500).

He says,"You like this? It's yours. I don't appreciate it and I know you do". After telling him that I can't accept it, he says, if it makes me feel better about it, shoot him a tiny bit of cash. He, at this time, says he wants nothing to do with it and never wants to see it again. No, it is not stolen. I think it was a gift to him.

My morals say to put it in a safety deposit and return it to him in the future, thinking that when his head gets straightened out, he may regret it, though he is not the type to go back on what he says. I would never in clear conscience be able to buy one of these for myself.

Yeah, I already know many will say sell it and get some custom shop Charvels, etc. But what would you really do? I am just curious, as our demographics are diverse.

go with your idea, put it away for later when he's down and really needs it if that time comes. That's a real friend, people also get back together and it could work out, ya knever know.
    He'll be much appreciateive if he makes his marriage work.
    cool guy move Kabong, shows character.
    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

sell that shit on ebay and throw a 12,000 dollar crack party!

Comment

He probably gave it to you so his soon-to-be ex-wife doesn't have it liquidated in the divorce so she can get half the value back. Yeah it might be a good idea to put it in a safe-deposit box for later return, but make damn sure that you never mention having it and that HE never mentions it to HER or preferably anyone either.

If your box got subpoenaed by her divorce lawyer you could be in trouble for helping him conceal assets. That's why it's real important that he keep his mouth shut, and you too. Let's hope she doesn't know any JCF wives!
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

What Rich said.
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Your friend has the right idea.. liquidate it all before she does. And I would hold on to it, just as you stated.

On a more serious note, have a heart-to-heart talk with your friend. Giving away your possessions is a also sign that someone may be contemplating suicide. Ask him directly. Ya never know.
            My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Originally posted by PallarAndersVisa
              sell that shit on ebay and throw a 12,000 dollar crack party!
              AShs aOPIshpOIAJSèpIOAspJSA*OAJS+?JSA +'JA?S)J'9aui=I AS0i!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzt
                AShs aOPIshpOIAJSèpIOAspJSA*OAJS+?JSA +'JA?S)J'9aui=I AS0i!!!
                Fall asleep on your keyboard again?
                My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Rich..good advice.
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

On the far, far, other hand, he may have given it to you as a sign; a confession.

He wants your man-parts, that's the reason for the divorce. He doesn't like fluffy-muff, he wants to ride the rocket in your pocket :ROTF:

j/k, but yeah it sounds like he'd rather give it away to a friend than let some backstabbing wh0re and her new lover (the lawyer) take it in divorce court.

Of course, if the divorce is in Japan, I'm not real sure you guys have the whacked-out laws we have here in The Untied States
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy
                      go with your idea, put it away for later when he's down and really needs it if that time comes. That's a real friend, people also get back together and it could work out, ya knever know.
                      +1

Comment

Originally posted by Newc
                        He doesn't like fluffy-muff
                        :ROTF:
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Good call Tommy

Also MHalsey brings up a good point about giving valuables away. Keep an eye on your buddy.
                          Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

I agree Tommy. the only thing to do is to hold on to it and give it back when he is better mentally. Only a real 100% looser asshole would take it and sell it or not hold it for him. If he is a friend help him out when he is down. Dont fuck with him and take advantage.

Comment

Save it, give it to him later when he'l probally want it back or

I like the $12K crack party
                              I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Working...
                              X