Vintage RC Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fett
    I go to the fleamarket at a drive-in and park in their outside lot early enough to have a great open space to run my car.
    You live life on the edge, man!
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
      You live life on the edge, man!
      It's tough being an old man. You take it when and where you can get it.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
      Last edited by fett; 08-05-2006, 04:45 PM.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

What Swaptmeets up there?? they closed mid way down here and all we have is starlight in tacoma
        I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

It's in Lynnwood at the drive-in just off 5. It sucks. But it's the only game in town. I am used to massive fleamarkets. I used to hit 5 in the Bay Area and North. I would, all in all, see hundreds, if not thousands of vendors each weekend. This one gets, on a good day, about 100 vendors. I love it because I have no life. But because it's 10 minutes away and I have been hooked on them for 40 years, I go. But it isn't worth the gas if you have to come up here.

Comment

The one they closed down here was about 500, We went every weekend for likr 20 years, me and my dad. Scored tons of cool shit. Gacoma is sorta cool but it's full of Crap but maybe 300-500 venders
            I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Originally posted by Drsracing
              The one they closed down here was about 500, We went every weekend for likr 20 years, me and my dad. Scored tons of cool shit. Gacoma is sorta cool but it's full of Crap but maybe 300-500 venders
              That's what me and my son did starting when he was old enough to walk. It was a ritual that lasted well into his teens. He learned from "Mickey Day", that was the Salvation Army Thriftstore. Mickey was the manager. He learned from, "Jump Now!! Bargain Box" That's where he leaned what steps were.(We lived in a house with no steps.) What he learned most of all was "class". He saw the every part of the world going with me to the thriftstores and fleamarkets. We did a roadtrip every weekend. He spent his first 5 years with a dying mother and a working father. I guess I could have done better career-wise, and just let him float. But , I was more stay-at-home for a lot of reasons. But I will always know that the time I spent with my son did make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by FATKAT
                Dam it !!!!!!!!!!

I been checking out the REVO 3.3, This thing is the $hit. I guess a trip to Hobby Town is in the future
                Yeah, that's what I researched. It's got pretty much of everything and the aftermarket stuff is gaining ground with the Revo 3.3. I had to buy my RC Solutions Roll cage direct from RC Solutions, since many of the dealers don't have them yet for the Revo. It looks to be the best one out there according to what I've read on test articles. It has a full coverage mounting system. I can see it now more stuff. Radio, big block, servos, etc, etc.... I was even looking at a Atomik F-350 body for it. I think I'll wait and drive it awhile.
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

You guys are hooked. The stock car is a few bucks. The aftermarket parts to hop it up costs big bucks. The money that can go into these cars makes modding a guitar chump change. I have an HPI gas car that some guy must have put $800 into. If not more. And you gas guys, don't forget the 2-speed. Maybe, mine are old with the belts and such, but when I go to sell them I'll get my money back.

Comment

I can see it now, Charvels, Jackson's and misc. gear for sale to make room and fund for super duper water cooled, quadruple servo, camera, GPS equipped, Monster Nitro truck that gets to the market and back in 2 minutes towing a trailer with food and beer for a week:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I got hooked on RC long before I got hooked on guitars and yea I have spent way more on RC than I have on guitars.
                      $50 here $100 there you don't see it all at one time. The next thing you know it's $1000's.

It's all good, beats sittin around the house.

I did get heavy into racing. Off Road, On Road, Gas, Electric, Carpet, Dirt, Asphalt, 2WD, 4WD it just keeps going. I still have 20 sets of rear tires for my off road buggy (RC10B2) all different rubber compounds and tread patterns. You never know what the track conditions will call for.
                      Never mind the 4WD sedan tires, truck and 12th scale tires, in different compounds etc.......

Taking trips to race different tracks around the southeast.
                      Here in the Atlanta area their used to be a half dozen tracks to run any weekend. We even had in Dalton (NW Georgia) an indoor off road track. It was inside an old carpet warehouse.

It's been 4 years since the last time I raced and with this new place just up the road from home it's startin to bug me.

Good Times and Good Friends thats what it's all about. But some of these guys are way to serious about it.

Comment

I hear ya. The reason I quit vintage motocross racing, besides increasing costs, was because of the few who race recklessly for their own age or ability. There were too many unnecessary injuries. They basically can't really gain anything. 1st place was a piece of wood or a plastic trophy. And you still had the large bills from travelling cross country. There really was no sponsorship for this type of racing. Almost any type of hobby or sport can have the fanatic that takes things to serious. You just have to go out there and have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by FATKAT
                          I got hooked on RC long before I got hooked on guitars and yea I have spent way more on RC than I have on guitars.
                          $50 here $100 there you don't see it all at one time. The next thing you know it's $1000's.

It's all good, beats sittin around the house.

I did get heavy into racing. Off Road, On Road, Gas, Electric, Carpet, Dirt, Asphalt, 2WD, 4WD it just keeps going. I still have 20 sets of rear tires for my off road buggy (RC10B2) all different rubber compounds and tread patterns. You never know what the track conditions will call for.
                          Never mind the 4WD sedan tires, truck and 12th scale tires, in different compounds etc.......
                          lol... Yeah, having to buy that new stock motor after every second or third race, moving the last new one for heat qualifiers or selling them to the kids who didn't have the money to continuiously buy new motors...

Going to the hobby store, turning armatures, checking magnet strengths...

Trying to get the right combination of tire, oil and damper shocks and spring tension to properly 'float' a track...

Doing the pre-race complete rebuilds... checking your diff, having people walk over your signal during a race... lol... making sure your batteries were peaked and iced, and that your pinion/gear ratio was right so you'd dump your batteries just after four minutes...

And the mad scramble to borrow a GOOD battery pack if you got bumped to the B Main, won and qualified for the bump back to the A Main. haha

Lots of stuff to get VERY frustrated at when you have a bad race day.

My best motor was a custom Revtech 13 turn double wound modified motor... It smoked EVERYTHING in modified Oval... My 7-cell matched batteries would completely dump literally 10 seconds after the buzzer and maybe barely make one lap past 4 minutes. I loved how much an art and science getting everything to work perfectly for the races...

And having one car to race stock and modified classes, switching motors, having enough batteries for heat races and the main... lol
                          Last edited by xenophobe; 08-06-2006, 03:47 AM.
                          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                          X