No announcement yet.

Vintage RC Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a pic from Halloween around 1989. I dressed up my RC to look like a giant spider. The eyes lit up red...It was pretty cool. When the older kids (12-14) would come around to get candy, I would tell them "be careful... the police tell us there have been sightings of a very large spider roun' these parts"

As they walked away, I would drive it out from behind a shrub. The legs would catch in the grass, and make it look like it was running.... MuuHaaaHaaahaaa.
    >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Originally posted by fett
      Man. Is this tempting. But it will go for alot more. http://cgi.ebay.com/TAMIYA-The-FROG-...QQcmdZViewItem
      Those things were uncontrollable on a track... always spin out.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
        Cool.. I used to have a Kyosho Turbo Optima Mid SE
        I had one of those... getting those built well enough to play in the dirt wasn't that bad, but setting them up to race was pretty difficult... they liked to break down and required a LOT of maintenance, but the people that were good at tuning those up would tear up and own 4wd mod class for the longest time...

We had a local track called Innovations in SJ... the Optima held the speed record for offroad as long as I could remember. Oval was a different story though.
        Last edited by xenophobe; 07-30-2006, 09:51 PM.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

When I got on Ebay in 1998, I had an online yardsale. Most of my old RC stuff went and I got decent prices. I sold a totally tricked out Optima Mid. Also, had an original JRX2 with the box. I got close to $100 out of each. I thought that was decent considering how old they were. I even sold a 2nd generation Novak speed control for like $40....I couldn't believe somebody bought that relic!!

I find it amusing that some of the vintage stuff is getting collector prices.....never would have thought.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe
            I had one of those... getting those built well enough to play in the dirt wasn't that bad, but setting them up to race was pretty difficult... they liked to break down and required a LOT of maintenance, but the people that were good at tuning those up would tear up and own 4wd mod class for the longest time...

We had a local track called Innovations in SJ... the Optima held the speed record for offroad as long as I could remember. Oval was a different story though.

Agreed.... when I was still just bashing around it was a non issue, but when I started racing back in Berlin I added 2 way turnbuckles, an extended Graphite Chassis and upper deck, a monstrous Novak+ Trinity power section, and the (then semi legal) 2.2" rims.... after about 6 months a Bro (with a Schumacher Cat) and I were essentially the only ones anyone cared about in the 4wd Modified class, because everyone else was running Bigwigs and standard Optimas, and they just didn´t stand a chance vs. the next generation.

But every so often a Tamiya Astute joined the fray and it was clear who the top 3 would be, was just a question of order

*edit* Though I didn´t really experience many breakdowns that weren´t due to pilot failure.... but those usually hurt quite a bit, too....
            Last edited by Zerberus; 07-31-2006, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Doug

BTW, spiders have 8 legs, dude!

I'll bet it scared lotsa kids still though!
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Just like the real thing, my Jeep flips if you look at wrong.
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I had a Tamiya Hornet and the Frog when I was a kid. Graduated to a Associated RC10T in college when they first came out. Still running the RC10T - thing is built like a tank, but I did just blow up the idler gear. I've got a tricked out Losi Mini-T that I run a lot - that thing is a blast.
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Ok, you I can tell you guy's are much younger than me I'm still playing with vintage slot cars, 1/24th scale and my HO scale 68 foot Commercial track. I haven't got to the RC stuff yet
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65
                      Ok, you I can tell you guy's are much younger than me I'm still playing with vintage slot cars, 1/24th scale and my HO scale 68 foot Commercial track. I haven't got to the RC stuff yet
                      My beady eye is always looking for slotcars. Cars are just cool.
                      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Fett, if you like HO,1/64th and 1/32 scale slot cars, check out this guy's website www.hoslotcarracing.com/ This site is one of the most comprehensive on the net. I built my 4' X 16' table and power supplies from his pages. His prices are really good for new cars as he is a dealer as a hobby.
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Well I had slot cars when I was a kid in the 60's. Then all the tracks went away and so did my cars.
                          But I now have about 12 or so 4" flexi cars and a few Drag cars and all the gear to support them. Parma, JK & Champion chassis. Custom controlers. I think I paid $180.00 for one of my DEFALCO drag controlers. I also have a motor machine that I can set out put voltage and reads amp draw of the motor.
                          I have around $300.00 in one of my drag cars and thats considered cheep by some.

Comment

All right a few of us older folk! All right, DiFalco controllers! I have one for my HO's, way overkill for my home track, but fantastic. I'd like to race on a commercial style HO track. I've got a few of the super magnet cars. One will travel my 68' track in 2.1 seconds and it's a road course with a tight section. If I would have known the commercial type tracks for HO's existed, I would have gotten one instead of my Tomy AFX track. I have to prep it perfectly to run those cars I love 1/24th scale and don't have anymore cars and their aren't any tracks in my area that run them. Those Flexi's are awesome!
                            Some pics of the HO track:

Comment

My RC-10T:

My Losi Mini-T
                              -------------------------
                              Blank yo!

Comment

RC10's The Legend Better quit this you'll having me get GAS for an RC car and that will cut into my Jackson budget!

Comment

Working...
                                X