No announcement yet.

Chiropractic Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a total believer in Chiropractic. If I injure myself, or my back gets outta wack, I'll go until the pain and or stiffness goes away... you don't have to go every week, nor will a good Dr. recommend that. The ones that try to get you in there all the time are the ones you should stay away from IMO.

As a matter of fact, I think I'll go see the Doc today. Adjustments can really have a relaxing effect.

Comment

Originally posted by fett
      That's it in a nutshell. Go run around the block or do jumping jacks. Get off your ass and make your body move. Stretch. Do Ty-Fondu. Mow the lawn. Change a lightbulb. Etc....................
      fett you can be such a complete idiot sometimes.

you know nothing about me, yet you go and make these stupid statements that are completely irrelevant to the situation.

I'm an athlete. I surf regularly. I ski often. I skateboard constantly. physical activity is something I'm always doing and have absolutely no problem with.

chiro adjustments of the spine and neck are NOTHING like "getting off your ass and mowing the lawn." and they work well for ACTIVE physical people like me, get it?

save your ignoramus comments for someone else. and don't project your middle-age trailer-living-ass problems and hangups on to others.
      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

1) Have you ever been to a Chiropractor?

No, I prefer to see real medical professionals for my medical problems.

2) Can you explain what Chiropractic is?

A wacky kind of massage and a huge source of waste for the health insurance industry.

3) What conditions do you think Chiropractors help?

Various kinds of pain, but effects are only temporary, much as with ordinary massage, though with much greater risk of injury and greater cost.

4) What have you heard about Chiropractic?

A friend was seeing a chiropractic for a long while for his back pain. Turns out he needed real medical attention, and all the chiropractic did was aggravate the condition to the point where he was nearly paralyzed and ended up in the hospital.
        Last edited by Bert; 07-21-2006, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002
          2. Well, kinda. I don't believe that a chiropractic "adjustment" actually puts bones back in place (except maybe in extreme circumstances). I do believe that hydrostatic pressure can build in the tissues of the joints causing nerve pressure and discomfort. When a chiropractor makes the bones "pop", they aren't actually being repositioned, but it's actually more like hydrogen molecules being released from within the tissues. The release of that pressure along with the movement of the bones stimulate nerve endings, giving the feeling of "relief", and well being. There is also an increase of blood flow through those tissues, which also gives a feeling of relief by oxygenating the tissues. My chiro has explained this to me on a few occasions, am I close?
          Actually, no. Your vertebrae can indeed slip out of proper alignment, causing the nerves that run alongside your spinal column to become pinched between two vertebrae. A properly trained Chiropractor can indeed push those bones back into place. The description you gave is more akin to popping your knuckles. The x-rays I've seen both before and after my own adjustments do indeed indicate bones were moved, not simply gas between them being expelled.

Chiropractors ARE real medical professionals - they go to school longer than many common surgeons and GPs. And you're right, they're not MDs, they're DCs. MDs are butchers and pill pushers. Did you know that pharmaceutical companies pay doctors to prescribe their medicines? Every time you get that prescription filled, the company that made the drug sends the doctor who wrote the prescription a check. Now, if you were being paid that way, would you care if the medicine worked or not? I doubt it.

And please, people, don't be such a moron that you wouldn't get a second opinion, after MDs themselves have been telling people for years to get a second opinion. If you're too stupid or lazy to drive across town to get a second opinion then you forfeit your right to complain when the first doctor you go to aggravates your appendicitis or other condition, because it's entirely YOUR fault.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

My mother has back problems and years ago she went to a Chiropractor who told her she was too chest heavy.

Turned out to be a pinched nerve...
            Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

Originally posted by Newc
              Actually, no. Your vertebrae can indeed slip out of proper alignment, causing the nerves that run alongside your spinal column to become pinched between two vertebrae. A properly trained Chiropractor can indeed push those bones back into place. The description you gave is more akin to popping your knuckles. The x-rays I've seen both before and after my own adjustments do indeed indicate bones were moved, not simply gas between them being expelled.

Interesting. I've actually asked my Chiro specific questions regarding that, and he says that the vertebrae actually aren't being "repositioned" so to speak. I also have reason to believe what you're saying too Matt, because there seems to be a lot of mixed opinions regarding this very thing.
              I do know that back in 1986, I had a double laminectomy, and prior to the operation I spent a lot of time at the chiropractors office to no avail. If anything, he made it worse. I now have a large degree of sciatic nerve damage as a result. I am still a firm believer in chiropractors, but there are many instances where they just can't help you.
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by skorb
                I love the adjustments, I feel like a million bux for about 2 hrs afterward.
                Golly, I'm sorry. I took the above quote as you being sarcastic. That after 2 hours, your aches or whatever returned. Gee, I'm glad you are so active. Suffering sciatica, I was just funning. You are one serious dude. As for the rest of your advice, well.............
                Last edited by fett; 07-22-2006, 08:17 AM.
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

there are quacks in EVERY field. it is YOUR responsibility to get a 2nd opinion. it's very, VERY easy to find storeis of MDs performing horror stories on patients. Like amputating the wrong leg. Prescribing the wrong medicine (resulting in death), performing unnecessary historectomies, ad. infinitum.

My dad is an MD. He tells me horror stories about board certified MDs that still practice. The only way I would go to any MD is after double checked their references. The same applies to chiropractors.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Chiropractic is great. I've been to several over the years. Back in '81 I was in an automobile accident. I had a bad limp and Migrane headaches that was a result of the accident and the orthopedic surgeons said I would have it the rest of my life. After the accident I ended up moving from California to a really small town in PA. I decided it was time to see a Chiro. After one visit I was doing better. After several visits the bones began to realign and the pinched nerves where released. In a month I was walking straight again and no more limp. Surgery and medicine were never needed. I swear by Chiropractic and over the many years I visited quite a few.
                    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by fett
                      Golly, I'm sorry. I took the above quote as you being sarcastic. That after 2 hours, your aches or whatever returned. Gee, I'm glad you are so active. Suffering sciatica, I was just funning. You are one serious dude. As for the rest of your advice, well.............
                      fair enough, I probably overreacted.
                      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

My wife and kid step on my mid back and crack the disc back into place, whenever it goes out of wack (everyday) ..and it feels so good and it's free..

If you have herniated discs compressing against a nerve root, there is high risk of making your condition much worse..

I would take my MRI reports and or films to a reputable one and asks questions first..

It's only temporary relief anywhoo, if any..it feels good like when you crack your knuckles..or like when my kid pops my disc into place..an hour later it's outta wack again..

My doctors strongly advice against such procedures..in fear of risk of more damage.. such as a compressed nerve root..

Cervical and thorasic control your upper extremities..arms/hands/fingers..that's my prob.

Lumbar is your legs/feet toes...that's my mom's prob.

heat and message therapy seems to be the best relief without risk so far..and is temporary..there is also a series cardal block injections which were ineffective and extremly painful to endure for me..but it has worked for others..

but again just temporary relief..
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

1) Have you ever been to a Chiropractor?

Yes a few different ones.

2) Can you explain what Chiropractic is?

Yes - freedom from years of pain and understanding how the body works.

3) What conditions do you think Chiropractors help?

missalignment of the hips, tight ham strings and the like.

4) What have you heard about Chiropractic?

Everything under the sun.... everything from the snake oil stories to horror stories to success stories like mine. It changed my like.

Comment

Working...
                          X