Chiropractic Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiropractic Survey

If there is anyone here that wouldn't mind answering a few questions, I would be most appreciative.

In case some don't know, I'll start by telling people that I am a Chiropractic student and that is the source of this survey. I was assigned to give this survey to 5 people I don't know and have them fill out the following questions. I thought I could reach more people this way. Feel free to provide an email address or phone # in the RARE chance that the school will contact you to verify that you answered the questions. You WILL NOT be solicited in any way. That being said, feel free not to list your phone # or email, for any reason. I would still like to read people's answers in the chance that I may be able to provide information to anyone who has a question. Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer these 4 short questions.

1) Have you ever been to a Chiropractor?
    2) Can you explain what Chiropractic is?
    3) What conditions do you think Chiropractors help?
    4) What have you heard about Chiropractic?

Thanks again for your time.

Travis

1. Yes
    2. Waste of my money and time
    3. Hopefully Real back problems, not a mis dianostic(sp) pendisidis
    4. See question 2
    I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Little Clarifaction, My Dumbass Fatt 500 LB Dr Thought my stomach/back problems were back problems, Not the appendix that blew and all most killed me
      I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience with Chiropractic. I still really appreciate your response. In a couple of days, I'm going to post a mass response and hope to answer some questions and clarify some things that will shine some light on Chiropractic for people. In the meantime, please keep them coming.

Comment

1. No. 2. They mess around with the alignment of bones. 3. Cricks 4. It's a pseudo-science that professes to be the end all and cure all for what ails you. They are not MD's and like Donnie said they treat a bone thing where it could be a medical thing and don't know the difference. Personally, if were just starting out, I would be a plumber. That way you don't risk people's lives. I will never go to one. Thanks for trying.
          Last edited by fett; 07-20-2006, 05:14 PM.
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

1. Yes
            2. A person or persons who adjust your neck and back to relieve pain.
            3. Back and neck pain due to injury (misalignment)
            4. Some people claim they can fix all kinds of ailments...

Comment

Originally posted by 1trussell
              1. yes
              2. spinal alignment to promote better overall body health/comfort
              3. backaches, headaches, sore muscles, most back pain scenarios, leg/foot pain, extremity pain, stress, etc
              4. this is a wierd question. opinions on chiro range all over the road. I love chiro tx and wish I could go more often.

I love the adjustments, I feel like a million bux for about 2 hrs afterward.
              the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by skorb
                1I love the adjustments, I feel like a million bux for about 2 hrs afterward.
                That's it in a nutshell. Go run around the block or do jumping jacks. Get off your ass and make your body move. Stretch. Do Ty-Fondu. Mow the lawn. Change a lightbulb. Etc....................
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

1) Yes
                  2) spinal and other joint realignment/readjustment
                  3) bach aches, pinched nerve, mobility loss, body doesn't feel "right" and you're not sick with cold/flu/etc.
                  4) same as above. i've also heard there are some quacks. but i swear by them. i see one about every month.

i'll pm you my contact info.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Travis
                    1. Yes. I go every two weeks.
                    2. It is commonly known as the manual manipulation of joints and bones that have slipped from their natural state to attempt to put them back in their natural state. It's generally safer than surgery, but of course there are under-skilled quacks just like in all things.
                    3. Everything from headaches (migranes) to blurred vision to certain types of muscle strain (torn ligaments are torn ligaments, but pinched nerves can be eased), constipation, and various other ailments.
                    4. That it's just some guy standing over you cracking his knuckles, that "Bob went in for an adjustment and the Chiropractor broke his rib", and various other B.S. I've also seen first-hand someone go in bent to one side and unable to stand up straight or breathe properly come out walking tall; that someone was me.

A few things to consider about Chiropractic:

- ASK QUESTIONS! "What else could this be?" is always a good one. Get a second opinion.

-Ask around to see who is good and who is not. As I said before there are quacks in all medical fields. You'd ask who was the best dentist, brain surgeon, pediatrician, or other such doctor, right? Just because someone has an Auto Mechanic's sign and business license doesn't mean they're good enough for your car. If your guitar needed a fretjob would you just drop it off at GC?

-Make sure they take x-rays FIRST - before you get adjusted - so they can see what's wrong from the inside to make sure it's not something else as in DR's case. Just because you come in hunched over or unable to stand up straight doesn't always mean you need a spinal adjustment, just like it doesn't always mean appendicitis. X-rays can help determine the root cause of the problem, which is what must be addressed first.

-The more you yourself understand about your own body, the better. Get in the habit of reading up on how to translate your body's signals. If any doctor anywhere ever disregards what you know about your own body, leave immediately and never come back. Just because you didn't go to medical school does not mean you don't have even the slightest idea how your body works. I've had this body for 37 years, I know when there's a problem, I know where the problem is, and I have a pretty good idea of when and how it started. I was not featured in a medical school course, so the only person who knows about me without a proper exam is me.

-There are no pills that can cure anything, only ones that treat the symptoms. Pain killers do not fix the problem, they only dull the nerves and muscles so you don't feel pain. You cannot polish a turd. Pills are turd polish.

-Chances are pretty good you didn't get that way overnight, so don't expect to get everything fixed in one treatment. Even if you did get that way overnight, you probably won't get everything fixed in one treatment. Depending on the damage done, it could take weeks, months, or even years to recover fully (i.e. as if nothing ever happened). While Chiropractic shares the philosophy of all other medical fields in that there is no money in cures, only treatment, at least Chiropractic has real benefits without the risk of a surgeon slicing you open and you bleed to death in 20 seconds, as happened to a friend of my Grandmother who went in for back surgery.

To relate it to guitars: If your neck is bowed, you adjust the trussrod, you don't strip the board off and all the frets and replane the neck and board, right? You don't split the board open with a saw and work the rod directly with a wrench, right? Sometimes our trussrod gets all whacky and needs to be adjusted. There's a handy method to adjust a trussrod in a guitar and the right tool to do it with and doesn't involve opening it up with a saw.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Chiro's can be very helpful. I had one help me a long time ago. I went for one treatment and I was fine within 2 weeks. My friendly advice to you is this: Do Not Become a PIP or MPC whore. If you don't know what that means, ask some practicing chiropractors.
                      "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
                      I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

I am not a beleiver in chiropractic. I equate it to painting a fence. Once you paint the fence, you *always* paint the fence. Repeatedly. Out of need.

There has already been cautionary advise. I will leave it at that.

Comment

1) Yes.
                          2) Yes.
                          3) Body alignment/adjusment, unblocks nerves, relieves tension and stress.
                          4) I've heard both good things and bad things. I just ignore the bad things.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

1. Yes, many times
                            2. Well, kinda. I don't believe that a chiropractic "adjustment" actually puts bones back in place (except maybe in extreme circumstances). I do believe that hydrostatic pressure can build in the tissues of the joints causing nerve pressure and discomfort. When a chiropractor makes the bones "pop", they aren't actually being repositioned, but it's actually more like hydrogen molecules being released from within the tissues. The release of that pressure along with the movement of the bones stimulate nerve endings, giving the feeling of "relief", and well being. There is also an increase of blood flow through those tissues, which also gives a feeling of relief by oxygenating the tissues. My chiro has explained this to me on a few occasions, am I close?
                            4. I've heard them all too, good and bad. Unfortunately, chiropractors are sometimes looked upon as "quacks" in the medical profession. I totally dissagree with that myself. Of course, I'm also a true believer in homeopathic remedies as opposed to modern medicine.
                            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Being in the physical therapy field, I'll refrain from answering this survey. Oops, I think I just did.
                              "POOP"

Comment

Working...
                              X