No announcement yet.

Restore of 67-69 SS Camaro vert?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

try and find mm2002 on. he does restorations on cars and is a great source for info on this subject. if you get any pics of the camaro please let us see them. good luck.

Garry

Comment

Restoration is my business, but I'll be totally honest and say that if you pay someone to restore the car (and they do it RIGHT), you'll likely have more invested than the car will bring at the present time. If you keep it a few years that could very well change, so in that respect it will still be a decent investment. As others have said, matching numbers (body/frame/engine/trans/diff/carb/etc etc etc.) makes a huge difference in the resale value. Also beware that a lot of so called "restoration" shops will purposely under-bid the job just to get it in the shop....then after it's all stripped down they'll hit you with a ton of "up-sells". If you want to contact me I'd be happy to bid the job, but I'll tell you right up front I'm booked for about two years right now. I'm a one man band and I only turn out 3 to 4 cars a year, but they are done right (or at least as "right" as the customer is willing to pay for)
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

The engine alone torn down to the block in an overhaul can cost you over 5 grand investment depending on how far you take it and upgrades.

Comment

Originally posted by quakana
          I just sold a 67 camaro convertible non matching number ss/rs CLONE for 23000.00. The 69 convertible restored is worth a ton of money. If its a matching numbers big block SS you are talking over 40,000.00 easy. Price goes down from there if its a small block non-matching numbers clone but still worth well over 25,000.00. The 69 is the most desireable camaro out there
          +1

Even if it's rusted out, it's still worth the asking price of $5k.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I have a 1970 Challenger and a 1971 Cuda. The Challenger was drivable until the radiator took a shit and I have coolant mixed with tranny fluid. The Cuda needs the fuel system flushed, carb rebuilt, and a brake job. Both are complete, but could use a restoration (crappy paint jobs, Cuda has rust, interiors are nice but have old car smell...).

Because of the cost of restorations, I'll probably be selling both of these shortly. Just too much money and time. Just like rjohnstone said, I don't want to waste 6 years and tons of $$$ only to not even be done with it. When I bought them, I thought I'd just fix them up as I drive them, but I just don't have the time.

Comment

Don, I'd love to see pics of the Challenger if you have any. You can send them to stukaguitar AT yahoo DOT com.
              Scott
              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

"It didn't sell..the reserve was not met.
                Judging by the pics, I wouldn't pay $800, let alone $8,000 for it.
                It has tons of body cancer (rust)."
                - rjohnstone

True it didn't sell. My point was just to state that there are people out there willing to pay more than $5000 for a classic convertible Camaro . At least now he has a pretty good idea of what kind of cash the car will bring if he buys it and it doesn't work out for him. I personally don't buy anything unless I know what the market value is, that way if I decide to flip it I will at least get my money if not more.
                Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

I had bought a slightly rusty '69 RS in high school in '79...was my first car.. paid about 200.00 for it. Change out the rear quarter panels, new paint with a fresh 350 and it was fine..a high school 'buddy' of mine totalled it.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87
                    Don, I'd love to see pics of the Challenger if you have any. You can send them to stukaguitar AT yahoo DOT com.
                    Will do. It's an original slant 6 but has been upgraded with a stout 360 (1971 block = thickwall casting like a 340). It's dressed up as a white R/T with flat black on the rally hood and a bumble bee strip on the rear. Black vinyl top as well. American Eagle wheels (not exactly what I prefer but they came with the car). Best thing is very little rust that I can see - trunk ok, under the frame looks good. The guy I bought it from also upgraded to front disk brakes.

I was going to make it into a T/A clone - I bought a complete small block 6-pack induction from the air cleaner to the intake gaskets for it, a T/A hood scoop (need a flat hood for it) and a fiberglass T/A molded truck deck.

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy
                      I had bought a slightly rusty '69 RS in high school in '79...was my first car.. paid about 200.00 for it. Change out the rear quarter panels, new paint with a fresh 350 and it was fine..a high school 'buddy' of mine totalled it.
                      My first car in 1984 was a Challenger, then a Cuda, then a Challenger...I love Mopar E-Bodies.

Comment

I'd love to have an old Challenger or Barracuda, but the money and hassle seem overwhelming. Jeez, you can't even get the right fuel anymore (hi-test) unless you go to the airport and get AvGas, can you?

Comment

Talk to Mark (mm2002).... from the pics he's posted, I'd say he'd be the guy to ask.

Comment

Find out if it is a Big Block. That is where the cashola is. If it is a 375 horse 396, the check can't be written fast enough.

Mike
                            Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

It definitely depends on what condition the body is in....if body work is needed...strip rust, possibly replace panels, straighten body etc....the body work and paint alone could cost you $10K+. I have a '92 Z28 that I just got back on the street last weekend for the first time in 5.5 years....I've had NO bodywork done to it, only suspension, brakes, chassis, engine etc. work that I've done all myself with the exception of the engine machining and assembly....I've got over $25K in just parts alone. It adds up really quickly!
                              Look over the car and see what condition it's in....there are specific places to look for body rot on those cars, so do some research....then determine what your budget is for the car and see if it's financially feasible for ya.

- Joel
                              RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
                              RIP Dime

Comment

Re:

396 RS/SS 396 375hp. Its a real RSSS 68. Since I am never gonna sell it I will tell you guys this I got a numbers matching protect O plate for the car and got a numbers matching block with correct casting dates from Ebay its like insurance. Plus I have the real 396 block in it as well as the original paperwork. If you dont have a numbers matching Camaro it takes a little research and you can put it back. I dont condone ever misrepresenting vehicles to make a buck that is just plain wrong.

Quick pic the garage was a mess and I got it cleaned since then I just dumped a few boxes to get in position to take the pic thats why theres papers all over the floor. He HE He

Comment

Working...
                                X