Restore of 67-69 SS Camaro vert?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restore of 67-69 SS Camaro vert?

Guys my father in law has a Camaro that he is willing to sell me for $5000. I havn't seen it in years and I can't remember exactly what it looks like so I don't know the year. It is a 67 to 69 however (first gen) I want to say it had the '69 rear end but it's been so long. Anyway I'm told it is a SS and it is a convertable. The car is in prety bad shape. It will need a full ground up restore.
    To get to the question, I need advice from people who restore cars. I know exactly zero about restoration and have no delusions of doing it myself. Would the cost of the restore be more then the final value of the car? What's the best way to go about restoring one of these? I'd like to take it to a reputable shop and drop it off to have them do all the work. I don't have space to store a project so I'd like to just have someone do it and pick up a running car. Should I try to stay original or go with some modern upgrades like a LT1 and a six speed, I'm not sure if the motor is original.
    I'm sorry I don't have more info yet or pics but any advice is welcome.

I don't know much about cars but if it needs to be restored, I think it should cost a lot less than 5,000 dollars.

Comment

Well, It's like this. If you are going to pay someone else to do the job (and a good job) IT WILL COST YOU, MONEY and TIME
      A good restoration won't be quick or cheep.

This also depends on what condition the vehicle is in to start with

Comment

Number 1. Make sure all the numbers match. NO 2. A 'vert is a lot more difficult to restore. NO 3. What size engine? NO 4. Make sure all the parts are there. NO 5. How are the seats? NO 6. Is there any body damage? NO 7. It will cost you, at least 5X the bucks you think it will cost you. NO 8. Offer him $2,500. A ground up restoration could set you back $20,000. Labor alone will break the bank. Not to mention new paint. Do your research to determine just what car it is. The fact that it is a SS is good, but there are so many variables. As to final value, it had better be a very desirable model or you will never get out the money you put in it.
        Last edited by fett; 06-13-2006, 05:11 PM.
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I have my own custom restoration shop, and can tell ya it will cost more then you think it will. But the price of muscle cars are doing nothing but going up. I'm working on a #'s matching 67 chevelle big block convertible and the jobs getting to be around 12 grand and 4 months worth of work at this point (almost ready for paint). The car is worth the price in value. As far as taking it a good shop ask questions like how they clean up the rust, If they tell a hokey chemical treatment run fast. If they tell you dipping or sandblasting ask more questions because they atleast start in the right direction. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by paige
            I have my own custom restoration shop, and can tell ya it will cost more then you think it will. But the price of muscle cars are doing nothing but going up. I'm working on a #'s matching 67 chevelle big block convertible and the jobs getting to be around 12 grand and 4 months worth of work at this point (almost ready for paint). The car is worth the price in value. As far as taking it a good shop ask questions like how they clean up the rust, If they tell a hokey chemical treatment run fast. If they tell you dipping or sandblasting ask more questions because they atleast start in the right direction. Hope this helps.
            Muscle cars go up and down in price just like any "Investment". If you really "fall in love" with the car, than get it done. If you intend to get it "done" and then flip it, be very very careful.
            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Here is a 68 Camaro that just sold for $8000. Sounds like a good deal to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-...QQcmdZViewItem
              Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

One word on restoration: Mark. (mm2002).

'Nuff said.
                The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

You should see what a 67 camero unrestored goes for around here. I would say jump on it if you are willing to put the time in. Camero's are classics which beats any new car out there in the coolness factor.

-Nate
                  Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Originally posted by krimson
                    Here is a 68 Camaro that just sold for $8000. Sounds like a good deal to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-...QQcmdZViewItem
                    It didn't sell..the reserve was not met.
                    Judging by the pics, I wouldn't pay $800, let alone $8,000 for it.
                    It has tons of body cancer (rust).
                    Show signs of major water damage, the interior and dash are a complete loss.
                    No engine or trans, suspension is worthless.
                    Just to get it into a paintable condition is gonna run close to $10k to $15k in sheet metal work alone.

What ever you do, have a body shop you trust go over it from top to bottom first.
                    Understand what you are getting into before you make the investment.

My 1967 Mustang restoration project started off as an $1,800 car purchase. Thousands of $$$ in hard earned cash and 6 years worth of long nights and weekends later, the car was still unfinished and I had to sell it for a major loss.
                    Would I ever do it again??? Not likely.

Be prepared to spend a lot of $$$ if you want it done right.

Here's one of the only pics I have left of the car... (Camera phone pic of a photo, so it's not that clear.)

Last edited by rjohnstone; 06-13-2006, 07:04 PM.
                    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone
                      It didn't sell..the reserve was not met.
                      Judging by the pics, I wouldn't pay $800, let alone $8,000 for it.
                      It has tons of body cancer (rust).
                      Show signs of major water damage, the interior and dash are a complete loss.
                      No engine or trans, suspension is worthless.
                      Just to get it into a paintable condition is gonna run close to $10k to $15k in sheet metal work alone.

What ever you do, have a body shop you trust go over it from top to bottom first.
                      +1

Comment

Originally posted by axtogrind
                        One word on restoration: Mark. (mm2002).

'Nuff said.

+1

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone

My 1967 Mustang restoration project started off as an $1,800 car purchase. Thousands of $$$ in hard earned cash and 6 years worth of long nights and weekends later, the car was still unfinished and I had to sell it for a major loss.
                          Would I ever do it again??? Not likely.

Be prepared to spend a lot of $$$ if you want it done right.

Here's one of the only pics I have left of the car... (Camera phone pic of a photo, so it's not that clear.)

I got into the same boat about 15 years ago on a 1973 Challenger. The $1200 Challenger ate up about $8000 of my hard earned money. New 440, new727, not to mention the long list of small parts that nickle and dime you to death. Took a major fucking hit when I sold it because it was nowhere near done.

I will never do that again. That was a hard lesson learned. If I buy another, it would have to be in "driver" condition, needing nothing major.

Now, if you have 20-40 thousand dollars of F-U money you are looking to spend on a decent resto job, have at it, and POST PICS!
                          Scott
                          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I just sold a 67 camaro convertible non matching number ss/rs CLONE for 23000.00. The 69 convertible restored is worth a ton of money. If its a matching numbers big block SS you are talking over 40,000.00 easy. Price goes down from there if its a small block non-matching numbers clone but still worth well over 25,000.00. The 69 is the most desireable camaro out there

Comment

deleted
                              Last edited by SGplayer; 07-14-2006, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X