Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gigging.....not all its cracked up to be.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i understand your point, but i find playing guitar pointless unless i have an outlet. i just joined a new band and i am so uplifted because it gives me other performing options aside from my own band. i have never been in a cover band becuase to me that is work. i view my playing as art. not to sound fluffy or like i am a guitar god, but i view music as personal, creative expression, so i would rather create music than duplicate music.

as was previously mentioned, gigging with an original band is a lot less stressful than a cover band. our sets are either 60 or 90 minutes dependiong on the venue and the slot. if we are the "headliner" - 90 minutes. if not, 60 minutes. it's that simple.

i still enjoy it, a lot. i get so depressed when i don't have shows or recording sessions booked. i find my playing and gear to be pointless unless i am creating.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

i enjoy playing with a band the most. getting the full on experience and looking sweet too! whether its a gig, or just jamming in the basement, i prefer playing with people.

Comment

Even with a family and real job, playing live is still worth the effort I think. We only play 2-3 times a month so we don't get burnt out. I doubt I'll ever stop playing out...even if it means playing blues in dumpy bars when I'm 60. Plus I enjoy the free beer too much to give it up.

Comment

Only the drummer needs a Roadie... Setting up guitar is pretty easy, setting up bass is stupid easy. Vocalist usually should help with the drummer unless he's doing the PA. Never bring the PA if you are the last band to play.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Gigging itself is priceless, even more so if your with a good bunch of band members. The setting up and breaking down of gear and equipment?
            Its not fun and is frustrating most of the time, however, the knowledge base you build is worth its weight in gold. You definitely learn more about your gear/equipment and your playing by setting it up and brreaking it down. You learn what works best at various venues and that kind of knowledge doesn't come any other way. You can't or it least shouldn't try to skip over or avoid "paying your dues" Yes, setting it up and breaking it down is part of, paying your dues, and its very good schooling.
            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I agree, music is usually a very personal thing...problem is, when you spend more time playing into headphones than thru a speaker cabinet and being in front of a crowd.. who are you doing it for? It is a very satisfiying thing when someone reacts positively to what you play..they're getting into it, they like what you convey, whether it be in a solo or a whole set of originals.
              To me.. those are moments I carry with me.. all that work paid off...even if made peanuts and had to almost pay to play.
              Last edited by charvelguy; 06-13-2006, 01:28 AM.

Comment

I like gigging if the turnout is going to be decent or you have a new place to play. Gigging sometimes puts out speed bumps though, it is a pain in the ass to be writing new material in a band setting only to have to stop and rehearse for an upcoming show.

I'm not a fan of playing once a week, hell, I'm not a fan of playing more than once every other month in the same area. I don't mind playing a show every night for two weeks on the road, but as far as local scene stuff I'd rather make it an event to come out and see the band as opposed to playing nonstop. At least when you're playing underground music or playing extreme music in a not so extreme market.

Comment

Working...
                X