Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gigging.....not all its cracked up to be.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigging.....not all its cracked up to be.

I think I'm one of the few here that could give a rats ass about playing live. I really enjoy sitting in my music room figuring things out. Recording, messing with new instruments, amps.

The band I was with several weeks ago split. We were a very good band, together for a while and were doing good. Had many gigs lines up for this summer.

The band talked about getting together and patching things up. but I'm not really interested. These guys (and gals) are terrific people and I love them like my brothers and sisters, but playing out, to me, is like going to a school and giving a lecture. Will I do it......yes. If I have a choice, no, I would rather not.

I feel comfortable just doing my thing. Anyone get burned out on stage performance? Playing air guitar, making believe you were in front of a big crowd and being a rock star, when you were younger, seemed like the perfect life. Now that I had the opportunity............it ain't all its cracked up to be.
    Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

I'm with you man, I find really boring preparing everything to be on stage, to bring the damn 4x12 and things like this. but I think also that if your band plays the right kind of music for the stage than it would be really fun. I played in a sort of tech death metal band, and our lives was always pretty boring to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordor
      I'm with you man, I find really boring preparing everything to be on stage, to bring the damn 4x12 and things like this. but I think also that if your band plays the right kind of music for the stage than it would be really fun. I played in a sort of tech death metal band, and our lives was always pretty boring to me.
      Yeah, I've wondered what it would be like to play originals. Your own music. If I never play Jessie's Girl, Jenny(865-5309), My Sharona type music again, I wouldn't miss it. Though I did have a big smile on my face when we gigged and really did have a good time (great band members), I could do without gigging.

The wifes a little disappointed cause its an immediate drop in funds, for our vacation bank account. She did like going to the shows too and had a blast, but understands how I feel about it.

I do like to sit around, like in a basement, out on a porch, in a boat with friends and tinkering with playing music. Add a couple beers, soda, hotdogs, hamburgers and its a good time.
      Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

jmho
        i think theres allot to be said for going to local jam night ...plugging into some elses gear,doing my thing for 5-6 minutes and getting home before midnight
        “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

I had great times gigging.. we played our own songs most of the time. However, I really didn't like setting everything up, bringing everything along, hoping nothing breaks, keeping an eye on the backup guitar etc..

Once you're playing and everything sounds great, then it's very much fun to gig.. you get into a flow, you're solos fly.. that's great. But all in all it's not worth the hassle anymore in my opinion. No more gigging for me......for now.
          "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

I love gigging!

The stage, the crowd, the volume, the energy, the attention... I get nothing of that in my bedroom.

Yes I'm a young fella!
            http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

I just quit my cover band. Been doing it for over 2 years and I got burned out and quite bored. I'm used to playing in original bands but thought i'd do covers to make some extra cash. The money was awesome. I did a pre-show party for Bruce springsteen last night and got $3,000 for 2 hours of playing. great gig but i'm still burnt. I'm sick of hauling all the P.A. shit around and getting home at 4 a.m. The great thing with originals is no p.a. and load in and outs are so much easier. the pay sucks but you only play for 45 minutes to an hour and it's so much more fun. I'm done with cover bands.

Comment

I understand how gigging can be tiresome. In my old band, we used to play out three times a week and practice twice a week. I'd get home around 3 a.m., every night, get 3 hours sleep, then go to work for 8 hours. It really took it's toll on me, and that was before the kids. There's NO WAY I could ever do that, again.
                That said, there's nothing I like more than to be able to play my own stuff, in front of an appreciative audience. At one particular gig, my band opened for a buddy''s band, and the crowd estimate was around 1500-1800 people. never got an exact, cause, well, it was too crowded. It was the best experience, ever: My rack stacked on his. Our full stacks, side by side. And the sound: Holy s#*t! The audience was just amazing, and responded to every song. I was so into it, I damned near stomped my foot through the stage, during the opener. Yeah, I've played lots of shows to a handful of people. Those things happen. But it's shows like the one I mentioned that make it all worth while. So, long as I'm enjoying it, I'll continue to do it.
                I'm not Ron!

Comment

I have very mixed feelings about gigging. Media types rant and rave about how great the Minneapolis/St. Paul music scene is, but it's actually oversaturated. There are several venues that book original rock and metal bands, and it leads to a lot of schedule conflicts...or competition depending on your perspective. For instance, we have a show with some other established metal bands on June 23rd, which would usually be a great opportunity for us. Unfortunately, there are shows at two other clubs in town with other established bands that all pull from the same fairly limited fan base. There are more musicians than fans from what I can tell, and dividing the overall metal audience into thirds means that none of the clubs will be even close to full. That's discouraging for a band like us that doesn't gig often, because we know that many of our friends will be at other shows, playing or in the audience.

Beyond that, I don't care much for the "grunt work" of gigging. But I love making music, and if I want it to be heard, it's not going to happen with me just sitting in my living room.
                  sigpic

Comment

I've been in 4 bands that have played shows... I've never been in a cover band, though a cover has managed to slip into the set of the various bands I've been in on a couple occassions over the years... Fuck the Middle East during the first Gulf War comes to mind, The Ripper... Sure, getting all the gear broken down, ready to transport, setting the crap on the side of the club, backstage or even at the side of the floor waiting your turn to set up... going over the setlist, checking your equipment to make sure it's set up right, and then having to tear down, store the gear and then make it home late at night aren't the fun parts, but the whole 15-30 minute set makes it absolutely worthwhile.

There is NOTHING more satisfying than playing original tunes to a crowd who doesn't know you or your music, and watch them get into it, receive the appreciation of the bands you're supporting as they support you, and just the feeling and energy of playing live.

This is the main reason I love playing guitar/bass as much as I did, and when I'm not in a band, and not gearing up for a show, I have little, if any motivation to even pick up an instrument.
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

You guys don't have roadies, huh?
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Here are some reasons why I think gigging sucks:
                        1. When you are married with 3 kids and you don't cheat on your wife... looking at young hot chicks and having some of them hit on you SUCKS.
                        2. Not having roadies SUCKS..
                        3. Making more money a year at your day job than the asshole bar owner does and having him (or her) bust your balls about pay or the crowd turn out SUCKS.
                        4. Getting home at 5:00am and not being able to sleep in the next day SUCKS.

Comment

bah....gigging ROCKS

however, john does have a point... 2. Not having roadies SUCKS..

Comment

Roadies tear up gear too!
                            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I love gigging, myself.

Lots of times we'd just jam on the other band's equipment (usually friends anyways, so they're ok with it)

But even if own gear was required, I loved/love it (eventhough I never had to bring my own amp & cabs since I don't have any of em atm)

Anyways Gigging is awesome: playing your guts out and headbanging 'till your neck is fucked up and getting absolutely wasted for FREE right after. Nothing's better.
                              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Working...
                              X