No announcement yet.

Planning out a simple rack set up - what am I missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gio, i've been following this thread and jgcable finally got me up from my seat: why do you want an outboard compressor for your mic'ed Dual Rectifier guitar recordings?

...and to foresee your possible answer: why do you want to compress on the way in?
    Last edited by jackson1; 05-04-2006, 11:29 AM.
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1
      Gio, i've been following this thread and jgcable finally got me up from my seat: why do you want an outboard compressor for your mic'ed Dual Rectifier guitar recordings?

...and to foresee your possible answer: why do you want to compress on the way in?
      I am just trying to go by what New-C posted as the beginner's guide to recording clips in the clip section of the forum.

He said it was necessary to have a compressor in order to drop the extreme highs and lows.

Comment

Okay, i haven't read Newc's post, but my view on it:

You don't have to spend money on a compressor. Your Dual Rectifier has tubes, right? And you're going to have a cab or speakers connected - and mic'ing the cab, right?

If true, the sound coming out from that setup is compressed already. If running with lots of overdrive you got lots of compression going on in the amp. No need to run through an outboard compressor to "drop the highs and lows". They are already compressed ("dropped").

If needed afterwards, you can use a plugin in the software to compress the already recorded guitar track, but i bet you won't need it, especially if you recorded overdriven guitars.

You know what? I'm going to read Newc's article. Something ain't right here...
        Henrik

Comment

I'm back!

I've skimmed Newc's article and i knew it: he's describing a "modeler" setup. That's a setup without a real amp+speakers+microphone. If you want crap OD guitar sound, go that route. Okay okay, if you buy the LATEST and best modelers out there, you will get a fairly good tone <puttin' on flame suit>

As i read your posts, you WILL use a REAL tube amp. And you WILL have a real microphone (SM57) to pick up the sound from the CAB. If this holds true, you don't need the compressor - and i advice you to be careful when reading that article. Careful to not mix things up.
          Last edited by jackson1; 05-04-2006, 07:16 PM.
          Henrik

Comment

I'm back!

I've skimmed Newc's article and i knew it: he's describing a "modeler" setup. That's a setup without a real amp+speakers+microphone.

As i read your posts, you WILL use a REAL tube amp. And you WILL have a real microphone (SM57) to pick up the sound from the CAB. If this holds true, you don't need the compressor - and i advice you to be careful when reading that article. Careful to not mix things up.
            oh, thanks for clearing that up.

I'm such a n00b

that's great news, thanks dude

Comment

Hey Gio, you edited out important stuff in the quote
              Henrik

Comment

Hey Gio, you edited out important stuff in the quote
                what important stuff?

Comment

If you want crap OD guitar sound, go that route. Okay okay, if you buy the LATEST and best modelers out there, you will get a fairly good tone <puttin' on flame suit>
                  that
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG
                    that
                    ahhh

funny how I over looked that

you got my PM right dude?

Comment

Working...
                    X