• Show
Clear All

• Planning out a simple rack set up - what am I missing

Planning out a rack set up, let me know if I'm missing anything

Furman power conditioner
    Rocktron Xpression
    Korg Tuner
    Alesis 3630 Compressor

Just a simple set up for fx (and the comoressor for recording)

thanks

Is this rack for outboard FX from an AUX SEND? Or for your guitar rig?
    Just a guitar player...

Comment

Originally posted by texasfury
      Is this rack for outboard FX from an AUX SEND? Or for your guitar rig?
      This rack will be a supplement to a dual rectifier (and the compressor for recording to my PC)

Comment

Looks good, then. What recording interface are you using?
        Just a guitar player...

Comment

Looks good, then. What recording interface are you using?
          Shure SM-57 with a mic stand

I'm still putting it all together. I need to get a soundcard to plug it into now.

does the compressor go into the FX loop?

I'm lost here

Comment

What do you want to compress? Vocals? Final guitar sound? Final mix?

And yes, you definitely need a sound card or some other type of interface to get make signals in. Do you have Firewire ports on your comp?
            Just a guitar player...

Comment

What do you want to compress? Vocals? Final guitar sound? Final mix?

And yes, you definitely need a sound card or some other type of interface to get make signals in. Do you have Firewire ports on your comp?
              I want to compress the guitar stuff going into the PC.

I'm not trying to recor an album or anything, just wanting to get decent quality recordings of some covers.

I'm trying to follow New-C's recording handbook.

I am picking up the extra stuff for fx, but the main idea is to record some tracks.

I have firewire ports in my PC, will I be able to plug the mic into them?

Comment

Forgive me if my questions might seems curt, just want to help you get the right things.

OK, do you want to compress the finished guitar sound, or do you want to compress your guitar signal before it hits the guitar preamp? I'm thinking the latter.

You cannot plug the mic directly into Firewire. You will need some interface to digitize the sound. Another option is to get a USB mic. You can simply put the mic in front of amp, and plug the mic into a USB port. Also, you have no sound card of any sorts installed?

What recording program will you use?
                Just a guitar player...

Comment

Forgive me if my questions might seems curt, just want to help you get the right things.

OK, do you want to compress the finished guitar sound, or do you want to compress your guitar signal before it hits the guitar preamp? I'm thinking the latter.

You cannot plug the mic directly into Firewire. You will need some interface to digitize the sound. Another option is to get a USB mic. You can simply put the mic in front of amp, and plug the mic into a USB port. Also, you have no sound card of any sorts installed?

What recording program will you use?
                  no worries, I am not at all offended by your questions. I really appreciate the help you're giving me.

I want to compress the guitar sound going in, and I have adobe audition.

I have the stock soundcard that came with my PC, which I am sure needs to be upgraded to something with a line in.

I was thinking I could take a mic and record the sound coming out of the cabinet, and then use an adapter and plug into the soundcard.

So it's sounding like I would plug into the compressor, and then compressor would go into the amp, and the rocktron would be in the amp's FX loop.

correct?
                  Last edited by Gio; 05-03-2006, 11:43 PM.

Comment

You could use a mic adapter, that will definitely work. If you want to compress the final guitar sound, maybe use a plug-in i Adobe instead. However if you wanted to use the Alesis, you would have to take a signal out from the computer (your recorded guitar), feed it to the Alesis, then feed it back in. Lots of transformations there, which I'm not a fan of. Another option would be to find a compressor that is also a mic preamp and can accept XLR inputs. Then you plug mic into compressor, then feed compressor output to computer input.
                    Just a guitar player...

Comment

Another option would be to find a compressor that is also a mic preamp and can accept XLR inputs. Then you plug mic into compressor, then feed compressor output to computer input.
                      I like the sound of that route, any suggestions as to a compressor like this?

Comment

Here's some info (with comments at bottom) I submitted to my manager at work when we were looking for compressors. Keep in mind most of these were 4 channel compressors (and pricy ones), which we needed because rack space is really an issue for us. But these companies also make 1/2 channel units, so use this as a springboard. I'll try to come across a preamp/compressor that is not in the price range these are, but more reasonable.

BRAND MODEL PRICE RACK SPACE

Alto CLE8 (8 CH) $425-500 2
                        ARX QUADCOMP® II $500? 1
                        Behringer MDX4600 MULTICOM PRO-XL 4-Ch Exp/Gate/Compr/Limiter $130-180 1
                        BSS DPR-404 Quad Compressor/De-Esser $1359-1500 1
                        dbx 1046 Quad Compressor/Limiter $450-500 1
                        Drawmer DL441 Quad Auto Compressor/Limiter $1229-1460 1
                        Klark-Teknik DN504 Plus $1320 1
                        LA Audio C400 $1221 1
                        Presonus ACP88 Eight-Channel Compressor/Limiter/Gate $900-1200 2
                        Presonus CL44 - Four-Channel Compressor/Limiter $600-700 1
                        Presonus GTX44 - Four-Channel Noise Gate/Expander $600-700 1
                        Samson S-com 4 Four Channel Compressor/Gate $139-200 1

BSS DPR-404 Quad Compressor/De-Esser $1359-1500 1
                        Drawmer DL441 Quad Auto Compressor/Limiter $1229-1460 1
                        Klark-Teknik DN504 Plus $1320 1
                        LA Audio C400 $1221 1

I studied the literature of the four top quad-compressors, and the one that stood out the most was the BSS DPR-404 Quad Compressor. The one feature that draws me to it was the fact that it is the only one of the four that has a de-esser. Considering that the voice is the most prominent subject in a news broadcast, this is a must have feature.

http://www.bss.co.uk/includes/produc...?product_id=19

As for a second choice, I would consider the LA Audio C400. It has good specs
                        Just a guitar player...

Comment

Here's one that looks decent: http://www.podcastingnews.com/items/Rolls/RLLCL151.htm
                          Just a guitar player...

Comment

wow dude, that's awesome

cheap as hell too

you rock dude, thanks for the help!

Comment

I wouldn't worry about an outboard compressor. You should get decent recording software like Sonar or Guitartracks. They both have compressors in them. You can compress after you record (or during if you want).
                              There are plenty of compressor plug-ins available online.

Comment

Working...
                              X