No announcement yet.

Guitar weight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an Ibanez AX320H. It's gotta weigh 20lbs. It kills my shoulder to play it for more than an hour straight. But the tone is unreal...thick/fat/deep. It's worth the weight (no Ron, that's not mis-spelled). I traded an old DK2 for it about 5 years ago. Sold it to a buddy, and bought it back a month ago for $250.
    >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Originally posted by Drsracing
      You do know that's just the "Sell By" Date. You can eat them after that date
      As long as that shit stays in the fridge and doesn't turn green, it's good forever.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by HuntinDoug
        I have an Ibanez AX320H. It's gotta weigh 20lbs. It kills my shoulder to play it for more than an hour straight. But the tone is unreal...thick/fat/deep. It's worth the weight (no Ron, that's not mis-spelled). I traded an old DK2 for it about 5 years ago. Sold it to a buddy, and bought it back a month ago for $250.
        Well, now the sustain on my 7.5 pounder lasts more than 10 seconds. And the tone is there as well. I guess that begs the question: "Does weight make that much difference or is comfort more to the point?"

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Fettster
          Well, now the sustain on my 7.5 pounder lasts more than 10 seconds. And the tone is there as well. I guess that begs the question: "Does weight make that much difference or is comfort more to the point?"
          The Angle of the Dangle is Aproximant to the Heat of the beat
          I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Originally posted by Drsracing
            The Angle of the Dangle
            I haven't heard that phrase for 25 years. Donnie, you are a gem.

Comment

Just remember me when you need to sell any Import J/c's
              I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

My ESP V has a mahogany body and it's by far the heaviest guitar I own, but the balance is great..

My asswood Ibanez is the lightest guitar I own.. it's too light..

The Washburn CS780 is my fav. Best balance, not too heavy, not too light.. it has a thin maple body.
                "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Fettster
                  There has been a lot of talk about guitar weight. There have been questions about balance and tone or whatever. I have my share of "tonners" , but I mutted together a strat that weighs 7 1/2 pounds total. I can play it unplugged and it sings. Sounds better plugged in. And the balance is right on the neck joint. I can't feel the bod or the neck. It is perfect. I say that body weight is something LP users get sore shoulders over. How light is your guitar?
                  I agree 100%. Weight has little to do with tone or loudness.

Comment

I think that indirectly weight does have something to do with tone. The density of a piece of wood can affect the tone and if a wood is real dense it tends to be heavier

Comment

I think light guitars have gotten a bad rap over the years because so many poorly-made, crappy guitars also happened to be made with cheap, lightweight woods. There are some great lightweight axes out there with killer tone & all the sustain anyone will ever need. I've played plenty of overweight dogs, too. It's all about build quality.

Comment

my dinky 2 is so frikin light.. makes it look a toy guitar

not sure if its a good thing or a bad thing..
                        If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Comment

A lot of the vintage Les Paul Bursts are lightweights. I have an R9 that weighs 8lbs. 10 oz.....great guitar. I play standing up most of the time and I'm just not interested in owning guitars over 9 pounds.

Comment

I have owned about 6 R9's and always considered them heavy? Most were under 9lbs

Comment

It's relative to the size and thickness of the guitar. Overall, I'd say around 6 to 8 pounds qualifies a guitar as lightweight, but any Les Paul under 9 pounds is lightweight.

Comment

I will agree that under 9 is light for a les paul but its all relative right, not one of the three USA jacksons I have are anywhere near as heavy as the R9 I just sold which was 8lbs 8ozs

Comment

Working...
                                X