No announcement yet.

Asking for advice on what to do with a dead car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you sure it has a dead tranny as well as not being able to start? An engine can start without a working tranny, it just won't go anywhere. Don't scrap it, just put an honest ad. A clean car is always worth fixing.
    Just a guitar player...

Comment

Originally posted by Razor
      I hope I don't burst any bubbles here, but a 1992 anything with a dead tranny is going to be lucky to bring a couple of hundred bucks, anything over that would be a gift IMHO.

If a car won't move and won't start, you will have a tough time selling it. Call a local junkyard, and see what they would be willing to give you for it. Honestly, if it isn't worth fixing, then realistically it's only value now is for scrap or parts. You could also put an ad in the classified selling it as a parts car. Also, some towing companies do buy cars for junk. Hope this advice helps, and good luck with it.
      You are obviously not familiar with the Honda fanboys

-a

Comment

Originally posted by texasfury
        Are you sure it has a dead tranny as well as not being able to start?
        No, not sure the automatic transmission is dead. But I am sure that the last week it was driven, the transmission wouldn't shift into 4th. Or reverse. Moved through first, second, and third just fine, up to about 40 mph, then the engine would just race and race. Not like a slipping clutch, more like it shifted from third into neutral. Reverse, too: like being in neutral.

Originally posted by axtogrind
        After sitting 10 days to two weeks, won't start anymore - turns over like a mofo, just won't start.
        Yes, I am positive that it won't start. :ROTF:
        The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

sounds like maybe computer (ECM) problems, shifting is computer controlled as well as engine function

This is the company I used to work for, you can check their site locations and call the one closest to you and ask about what charities they are collecting cars for, they will send a wrecker right to your house and load it and haul it off

https://www.sadiscosouth.net/default.asp
          Last edited by FusionFarmer; 04-18-2006, 05:43 PM.
          I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Asking for advice on what to do with a dead car
            Keith...I suggest you give it a proper burial! Send her off to the junkyard for scrap. If it's got a toasted tranny...it may be too much for someone to want to get into, and you may be keeping it around as a lawn ornament longer than you want to. That's just my opinion though.

~Ken

Comment

You guys are crazy.
              You know how easy it is to find a salvaged tranny for that!

Comment

got a local tech college? Can it be donated so apprentices can practice repairs on it? Get some young tradesmen working on your unwanted car, so they can use it to practice their panel work, painting or mechanical skills.
                Hail yesterday

Comment

sounds like maybe computer (ECM) problems, shifting is computer controlled as well as engine function
                  Nope, there was a thread about his tranny a while back. 4th and Reverse is operated by a shift fork, slider, hub, and the synchronizer teeth are made onto the respective speed gears (Honda automatics have gears in addition to clutch packs). No 4th and Reverse is a common older Honda transmission failure, and is not an external (i.e. ECM or other type of control) issue.

You are obviously not familiar with the Honda fanboys
                  Hey, if someone wants to pay up for it, I'd rip their arm off. At some point you have to be a realist and accept the fact that the car probably doesn't have a "good condition" book value of more than say $2,000. To prove a point I did a Kelly Blue Book private party on a four door LX sedan (this is what I'm assuming it it). I was $430 off. It books for $2,430, and that's only if it's in "good" sellable condition. I'll quote the KBB definition of good condition.
                  "Good" condition means that the vehicle is free of any major defects. This vehicle has a clean title history, the paint, body and interior have only minor (if any) blemishes, and there are no major mechanical problems. There should be little or no rust on this vehicle. The tires match and have substantial tread wear left. A "good" vehicle will need some reconditioning to be sold at retail. Most consumer owned vehicles fall into this category.
                  I'm not trying to bash Honda's, hell I've owned one in the past and they are damn well made vehicles. Again, I'm going to be realistic here and state that a 1992 model car that has a major internal tranny problem and won't start is not going to fetch anything close to $1,000. That's my honest opinion. If someone offers anything near or over that, all I can say is rip their arm off!!!

Comment

Sell it to a young racer kid

Give it to a tech school

Sell it on ebay

Get a trasmission for it

Set it on fire

Blow it up

Fire a bunch of rounds at it

Run it over with your truck
                    I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

Working...
                    X