Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking for advice on what to do with a dead car

Not to fix it, but to get rid of it.

1992 Civic. 120K miles, clean. Dead tranny. No tag, no insurance. I want it gone, but it kills me to just scrap it.

After sitting 10 days to two weeks, won't start anymore - turns over like a mofo, just won't start.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of it in a way that might mean the most to someone else?

Thanks,
    Keith
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Part it out on Ebay? If you've got the time and effort thats definitely the way to go.
    Or maybe join a civic discussion board/internet forum and offer it as parts?...

I think parting it out is the way to go...

James

Comment

Offer it on ebay with a low opening bid and an honest description. It will sell, and probably for more then you think.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I was in the same situation last year; I was able to donate my '76 Caddy Fleetwood to a museum/art installation. I guess that won't work with your Honda, though.
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

We just got rid of an old car that we weren't using and donated it to a non-profit and they sold it in an auction to help inner city and abused children. All the proifits from the auction went directly to the non-profit. They even came and picked it up....
          Not sure if they have anything like that where you are Keith...
          Look Up...Get Up...And Never EVER Give Up...

Comment

+1

And you can get a tax write-off for the blue book value I believe...

Comment

Originally posted by npacheco
              +1

And you can get a tax write-off for the blue book value I believe...
              I don't know if it is a national change or just in California, but that is not the case here anymore. Until last year you could get full Blue Book value. Now you can donate for sale at a charity auction (like Superfly said) and you get a tax write-off for the sale price. There are also some lots that sell cars with proceeds going to charity and with you getting a tax write-off for the sale price.

Comment

I think the IRS recently changed the law: you can get $500, or the sale price if the sale price is higher, if you donate to a charity.

My first thought was to part it out, but I can't really store it that long. Or take it apart that fast.

Tried Craigslist a few weeks ago, maybe I'll try ebay (with a gut-level honest description) before donating it.

Thanks, all!
                Keith

Comment

You should have absolutley no trouble selling it. A 120k mile Honduh, even with a dead tranny, is still worth some coin, especially with the soon to be rising gas prices. Not to mention all the import ricer dipshit kids love em. Hell if you were closer Id gladly buy it off ya, my truck and the Trans Am's are killin me on gas.
                  Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Hondas bring good bucks, I'd run it in ebay I would'nt be surprised if it sells for a few hundred bucks, as long as you have a clear title. Especially in Florida, I worked for a company that collected and auctioned off wrecks for the insurance co.s and florida makes almost all the wrecks no matter how minor "Unrebuildable" especially if they are over a couple years old. What happens is the junk guys have all these nice low mileage cars with a little damage and they can't title em, A 92 Honda with a good title should sell well.
                    I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

You might call up a church charity or some such and donate to them. Churches are always helping people down on their luck, and likely they will have mechanics who donate time, fix them, and some down-on-their-luck family now has a vehicle. My sister once donated a Buick Regal that was actually running great, because a family in her parish were in a tight spot.

Now if you just want to get rid of it, pronto, you can call an auto wrecking company and they'll come out and haul it away; give you maybe $50 for it.
                      They'll likely part it out, and you don't get a deduction. But you get rid of it, probably the day you call. You need the title though, to sign it over.
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Swap the motor. You can find D16Y7 full swaps (motor, tranny, axles, ecu, harness) for under $500. Takes less than a day to do the swap.

I traded my D16Y7 for misc. parts ... hell a friend of mine just bought one for $50 off some guy last week just so he could get the O2 sensors off it!

-a

Comment

Title is a-ok. Did I mention that my wife is the original owner?

Dang, ebay wants a $40 insertion AND a $40 transaction fee? Sheesh, $80 to ebay would eat most of what it will sell for!

Looking into several local organizations, for donation...

Comment

I hope I don't burst any bubbles here, but a 1992 anything with a dead tranny is going to be lucky to bring a couple of hundred bucks, anything over that would be a gift IMHO.

If a car won't move and won't start, you will have a tough time selling it. Call a local junkyard, and see what they would be willing to give you for it. Honestly, if it isn't worth fixing, then realistically it's only value now is for scrap or parts. You could also put an ad in the classified selling it as a parts car. Also, some towing companies do buy cars for junk. Hope this advice helps, and good luck with it.

Comment

Unless you really feel like being charitable, screw the donation ... there are lots of people that would LOVE to have that car.

Is it a manual tranny? If so you'll have no trouble selling it. post it up on craigslist for $1500 and it'll be gone over night.

-a

Comment

Working...
                              X